MTB'ing growing in popularity

Old March 7th 05, 11:37 AM
Ken Marcet

Default MTB'ing growing in popularity

Now I am not a great fan on mtb's, but it is good to see that at least on
type of cycling is growing in pupularity.
http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/p...503070313/1002

Now maybe some of these people are converts from the road cycle world, maybe
some are new to cycling.
But perhaps some of these people will ride on the roads as well and aid in
making drivers more aware of bikers.
But I doubt it.

Ken

--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 7th 05, 01:05 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Marcet wrote:
Now I am not a great fan on mtb's, but it is good to see that at

least on
type of cycling is growing in pupularity.

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/p...503070313/1002

Now maybe some of these people are converts from the road cycle

world, maybe
some are new to cycling.
But perhaps some of these people will ride on the roads as well and

aid in
making drivers more aware of bikers.
But I doubt it.

Not a very impressive article, not a single statistic to back up the
headline claim. Perhaps, being that it's Arkansas, they've just
discovered mountain biking.

My impression is that mountain biking is not gaining in popularity, at
least not here in the NE US. The numbers seem pretty constant. I have
seen many cases in the last few years of mountain bikers getting into
road biking. I think that the fitness-driven types realize that they
can get more consistent workouts on the road.

Old March 7th 05, 01:45 PM
Ken Marcet

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
[...]

Well here in Florida, I notice more people riding "comfort" bikes, these
riders tend to be older.
While younger riders tend to like the MTB's, I notice very few road cycles
out there.

Ken

Old March 7th 05, 06:37 PM
Velo Psycho

Well here in Florida, I notice more people riding "comfort" bikes,

these
riders tend to be older.
While younger riders tend to like the MTB's, I notice very few road

cycles
out there.

Ken

Huh? Where in Florida are you, Ken? You need to move to Orlando or
Gainesville. Although rednecks and old people try to exterminate us...
there are still lots of road cyclists and some great big groups thereof
in both towns.

Old March 7th 05, 06:38 PM
Bill H.

Peter Cole wrote:

Not a very impressive article, not a single statistic to back up the
headline claim.

Yeah, that's true. The headline is not particularly accurate. I still
enjoyed the article, though.

Perhaps, being that it's Arkansas, they've just discovered mountain

biking.

Why the dig on Arkansas? I'm sure there are plenty of people who ride
there and have been doing so for years. Or is this a red state/blue
state kind of thing?

I have seen many cases in the last few years of mountain bikers

getting into
road biking. I think that the fitness-driven types realize that they
can get more consistent workouts on the road.

I suppose if you only ride for fitness, road biking would be the way to
go since it's, as you say, a more consistent workout. I'm a big fan of
mountain biking, mainly because I enjoy the outdoors and sightseeing.
Improved fitness is a benefit, I suppose, but if fitness is all you're
after you can spend $80 on a pair of running shoes and get as good of a
workout, if not better, than you'll get on a bike.

-Bill H.

Old March 7th 05, 06:52 PM
Matt O'Toole

Peter Cole wrote:

Ken Marcet wrote:

Now I am not a great fan on mtb's, but it is good to see that at
least on type of cycling is growing in pupularity.

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/p...503070313/1002

Now maybe some of these people are converts from the road cycle
world, maybe some are new to cycling.
But perhaps some of these people will ride on the roads as well and
aid in making drivers more aware of bikers.
But I doubt it.

Not a very impressive article, not a single statistic to back up the
headline claim. Perhaps, being that it's Arkansas, they've just
discovered mountain biking.

My impression is that mountain biking is not gaining in popularity, at
least not here in the NE US. The numbers seem pretty constant.

I don't know if it's growing, but it's changing. The tradional cross country
riders seem to be dwindling, but being replaced by downhillers, jumpers,
huckers, or whatever you want to call them. My friends back in CA report these
hucker folks being all over the place, in huge numbers. But when you go high
into the mountains where only the fit XC riders go, the numbers are the same or
fewer. In Orange County the total number increase could be attributed to
growing population, especially with new housing tracts near the trailheads. So
it's hard to say if the sport itself is growing.

I have
seen many cases in the last few years of mountain bikers getting into
road biking. I think that the fitness-driven types realize that they
can get more consistent workouts on the road.

I think most people recognize this. During the mountain bike boom of the 90s,
many shops had not a single road bike in stock. Now they have as many as
mountain bikes. Mountain biking brought a lot of people into the sport, who are
now discovering the pleasures of efficient road bikes that can be ridden from
the front door. I think this is a big issue too. Unless you live within a few
miles of a trailhead, mountain biking is too logistically complicated. One
thing I've really noticed too, is how little a road bike has to be maintained,
compared to one ridden on dirt.

Matt O.

Old March 7th 05, 07:23 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

MTB'ing is pretty hot here in the SE, too. Many of the parks and forests
are starting to make accomodaions for them/us.

Tsali is a good example.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old March 7th 05, 07:26 PM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"Peter Cole" writes:

My impression is that mountain biking is not gaining in popularity, at
least not here in the NE US. The numbers seem pretty constant. I have
seen many cases in the last few years of mountain bikers getting into
road biking. I think that the fitness-driven types realize that they
can get more consistent workouts on the road.

This is just speculation on my part, but I can envision
the popularity of 'mountain biking' declining. I think
originally (back in the '80s), casual enthusiasts were
mostly into not too technical singletrack, and perhaps
some back-country touring, while the more avid riders
would advance into cross country or downhill competition.

Since then the bikes, the trails, and the skills required
to handle each have become increasingly refined, specialized
and technical, to an intimidating (at least to tyros) degree.
In short, I think the 'freeride' style may have pretty well
killed the old concept of mountain biking. And the current
bikes themselves are pretty expensive as well as elaborate,
which is quite a dis-incentive to anyone who just plain wants
to hop on a bike and go. It's a lot simpler in several ways
to just get a bicycle that looks like a bicycle, and ride
on the roads & streets. Maybe 'mountain biking' has refined
itself out of popularity.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 7th 05, 08:22 PM
Maggie

Ken Marcet wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
[...]

I think comfort bikes are growing more and more popular as this baby
boom generation gets out there to ride. Just my humble opinion. As a
Boomer looking for a comfortable ride. ;-)
All good things,
Maggie

Old March 7th 05, 10:24 PM
jj

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:52:24 -0500, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

I think most people recognize this. During the mountain bike boom of the 90s,
many shops had not a single road bike in stock. Now they have as many as
mountain bikes. Mountain biking brought a lot of people into the sport, who are
now discovering the pleasures of efficient road bikes that can be ridden from
the front door. I think this is a big issue too. Unless you live within a few
miles of a trailhead, mountain biking is too logistically complicated. One
thing I've really noticed too, is how little a road bike has to be maintained,
compared to one ridden on dirt.

Matt O.

Good points. I'd say that about half of the people that go in to buy a
bike, even now, get a mountain bike when what they really need is a
standard road bike with perhaps 26mm tires. They talk about 'riding off
road', but they really mean ride around the neighborhood and cut through a
hard packed section of woods on the way to the park, heh.

I have to admit a MTB looks pretty flashy and seems like it'd be cool to be
able to bounce up on the curbs, but when you get down to it, very few
people are riding those in inch-deep mud and jumping logs, I bet. ;-)

-B

MTBing Safer Than You Might Think Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 15 November 27th 04 02:58 AM
why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target N Grover Mountain Biking 36 December 16th 03 08:41 AM
Unicycle Popularity Beener Unicycling 3 December 9th 03 11:15 PM
MTB'ing in Reno Nevada jeb4 Mountain Biking 1 October 24th 03 06:14 AM
Morzine MTBing Niv UK 12 October 6th 03 12:54 PM