what're the best budget no-flats tyres?

Old January 8th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AP

Default what're the best budget no-flats tyres?

ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
that makes a difference.

Old January 9th 07, 02:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

AP wrote:
ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
that makes a difference.

try Michelin Transworld City
iain

Old January 9th 07, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

AP wrote:
ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
that makes a difference.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Schwalbe Marathon Plus
(don't forget the Plus).
They may be a bit heavy, but they'll fart in the general direction of
all the broken glass and nails on the mean city streets.

Old January 9th 07, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"AP" wrote in message
ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather, if
that makes a difference.

I like my Schwalbe Blizzards (700x23). Are you talking road or MTB?

Old January 9th 07, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AP

Hi

Thanks for all responses. The name Marathon Plus does seem to crop up a
lot...I'd not heard of the Michelins. I think I've read somewhere that the
Marathon Pluses are damn near indestructible, but also quite heavy and not
terribly grippy. They're also £25 apiece, give or take. Which seems to be
about twice the price of, eg, the Michelin Transworld City. (Would they last
longer? How would wet/dry grip compare with a bog-standard tyre?) To answer
your question tho' (and sorry - I should've said) - road: 700 x 23. Thanks
again.

Old January 9th 07, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Doki" wrote in message

"AP" wrote in message
ps i like to ride very fast thru' London traffic, whatever the weather,
if
that makes a difference.

snipsnip

If I say it very quietly -- I have been running, on road 98% of the time,
with Marathon Plus for over 5000 miles without a visit from the p*nct*re
fairy.

I have had one self inflicted puncture, in 2006, after replacing a broken
spoke and retruing the wheel -- and nipped the tube.

I suppose the only problem with these tyres is that I lose the skill of
swift and easy repair action. However I always carry a repair kit and 2
spare tubes with me at all times!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old January 9th 07, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AP

That's 'cos the puncture fairy was busy with me - six in the three weeks up
to Christmas - we're talking maybe 250 miles?
"Pinky" wrote in message
. uk...

Old January 9th 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
UrbanMyth

Specialized Armadilloes. We've got 4 cyclist in our office on them. 1
puncture in the last year between the 4 of use and that was a huge nail
that ruined the wheel. I just got a new bike in December I asked about
trying another commuting tyre. the guy says nothing comes close.

Old January 9th 07, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Anthony Jones

AP wrote:
Thanks for all responses. The name Marathon Plus does seem to crop up a
lot...I'd not heard of the Michelins. I think I've read somewhere that the
Marathon Pluses are damn near indestructible, but also quite heavy and not
terribly grippy.

I'd be sceptical of individual reports of a tyre being 'not terribly grippy'
unless someone has done some kind of vaguely scientific testing. Road
conditions have a large effect on friction, making comparison difficult,
and I doubt anyone pushes their tyres to the point of slipping out often
enough to reliably test grip anyway. If you search hard enough you'll
probably also find lots of other people claiming that the Marathon Plus
grips like a leech.

Anthony

No FBT exemption in the budget... Travis Australia 33 May 13th 06 03:39 AM
Deraileur/brake cable ends: What're U using for anti-fray? bicycle6228 Techniques 19 February 22nd 06 06:56 PM
Budget bike Well_i_Wonder UK 20 September 25th 05 09:21 AM
Budget Coker kington99 Unicycling 7 June 11th 05 12:18 AM
Low budget team? Richard Adams Racing 6 July 16th 04 11:30 PM