Tubless: Replacing A Spoke?

Old February 11th 06, 09:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Tubless: Replacing A Spoke?

Has anybody had to replace a spoke on a tubless wheel?

Big deal or minor messiness?
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 11th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Has anybody had to replace a spoke on a tubless wheel?

Big deal or minor messiness?

Tubless wheels have spoks, not spokes. Easy to replace on my POS Crossmax
rims (straight pull); might be a pain on other brands (conventional)?

Bill "live long and prosper" S.

Old February 11th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per Sorni:
Tubless wheels have spoks, not spokes. Easy to replace on my POS Crossmax
rims (straight pull); might be a pain on other brands (conventional)?

I was thinking in terms of the goop that gets put in there to seal it.

"Spoks" ??
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 11th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Sorni:

Tubless wheels have spoks, not spokes. Easy to replace on my POS
Crossmax rims (straight pull); might be a pain on other brands
(conventional)?

I was thinking in terms of the goop that gets put in there to seal it.'

Don't need no steenkin' goop.

"Spoks" ??

"Tubless" ??

Bill "I'll wait for it" S.

Old February 14th 06, 01:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Has anybody had to replace a spoke on a tubless wheel?

Big deal or minor messiness?

Mavic UST rims use a threaded insert to hold the nipple end of the spoke in
the rim from the outside. It takes a special tool to remove and insert it.

Mike

Old February 14th 06, 05:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

You don't need to remove it, since you aren't replacing the nipple,
just the spoke.

Grab the nipple with a pair of needlenose pliers, unthread the old one,
thread in the new one. Pretty simple. If you have a good spoke wrench
(like the DT, not like the Park) just use that - it grabs the nipple
sufficiently well.

Replacing a nipple is a bigger deal, since you need to remove and
replace the special insert.

Old February 15th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

sunderland wrote:
You don't need to remove it, since you aren't replacing the nipple,
just the spoke.

Grab the nipple with a pair of needlenose pliers, unthread the old
one, thread in the new one. Pretty simple. If you have a good spoke
wrench (like the DT, not like the Park) just use that - it grabs the
nipple sufficiently well.

Replacing a nipple is a bigger deal, since you need to remove and
replace the special insert.

Ahhh...I see. The Spokey spoke wrench is a decent low cost alternative to
the DT wrench. Same 3 corner grip.

Though I'm jonesin' for a DT spoke wrench.

Mike