Commuting: Changing Clothes?

Old October 29th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Commuting: Changing Clothes?

" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 8:02 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anybody got some ins and outs on clothes changing?

I've been commuting for close to 20 years and my company last year
moved to new digs with a locker room. I too find the locker room
generally inconvenient after having spent most of the 20 years
changing in a stall in the bathroom on my floor.

I also work late often (journalism) and the cleaning crews are at
work, which makes it hard sometimes to change in the bathroom or the
locker room, as often they are being cleaned. So ....

I go to another floor. It's closer than the locker room and I can take
the stairs instead of the elevator, so I don't have to wait as long.

I used to leave my slacks at work, which would mean I had to go to my
desk midweek and collect them before changing. Now I often haul them
around daily. Shoes can be a problem. One solution is to get some
Chinese slip-ons -- the one's that are black with the thin brown
plastic soles. They're nice and flat in a bag and you can use them to
get to your desk and your dress shoes and belt. The new building
doesn't have much going on on the first floor, but it has some nice
bathrooms with handicapped stalls. Plenty of room and not much demand.

The other thing is to change where you like to change and take a nice
long **** when you're done to legitimize your use of the stall.

My locker/shower room is close and convenient; however, it is small
(one person at a time) -- and now with the high price of gas, I am
actually having to compete with other cyclists (along with the usual
cabal of runners and others who refuse to use the showers at the next
door 24 Hour Fitness after working out). I hate sitting around,
wating to get into my work clothes. I used to have a little wardrobe
in my office and would change with my office door closed, but my new
office has a window panel next to the door and basically no place to
hide.

I still get sh** about leaving my socks on the floor of the locker
room or having shoes under my desk or walking to my office in bare
feet (or walking out in racing garb -- I used to go to the weekly crit
series straight from work) -- but I've been doing it for over 20 years
at my current employment, and no one is going to get too wound up
about it. Plus, when people know you are the designated office
cyclist, you get the pleasure of listening to all their stories about
the bad cyclists they see every day and how they just barely avoided
hitting one, etc., etc., and how scary it is to ride a bike to work
(notwithstanding the miles of bicycle lanes). One of life's little
rewards! -- Jay Beattie.

Old October 29th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/27/2008 9:19 PM landotter wrote:

On Oct 25, 7:02 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Anybody got some ins and outs on clothes changing?

Don't change! Get a proper bike that weighs 40# or so, and ride in
wearing a three piece this time of year with some huge Savile Row
shoes that engage the rubber block pedals more stiffly than most of
Shimano's casual line. Don't forget your cycle clips and tweed
cap. ;-)

A pipe -- you also need a pipe clenched between your teeth.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 29th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 28, 7:52*pm, "Jay Beattie" wrote:
" wrote in message

[...]

I get the comments about how dangerous it must be to ride a bike.
Even from people who supposedly ride bikes! And others saying they
only ride on the trails because its just too dangerous to ride on the
road. And if its dark or rainy, its extra extra extra dangerous to
ride a bike.
Old October 29th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 27, 4:31*pm, Brian Huntley wrote:
On Oct 25, 8:02*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Anyhow... not to rant on and on... but does anybody have a
workaround that works for them?

Ignoring the impatient ones?

Flush, and claim you were "multi tasking."

This is my favorite reply so far.

Personally, we don't have locker rooms @ my workplace, but I change in
a bathroom that's somewhat inconvient. I do so because it's the only
single-person bathroom here, so I can lock the door and wipe up a bit
using the sink. I show up, walk to my desk in my cycling gear, get my
work clothes, walk back to the bathroom right next to where I park my
bike, clean up and change, punch in (since the time clock is right
next to that bathroom and my "bike parking" and head back to my desk.
Takes ~5 extra minutes, but it's worth it to me to be able to clean
and desweat myself.

Just because that's what I do doesn't make it the right answer for
everyone. Personally I'd kill for a locker room with showers at
work. However, if you want to change by your desk, by all means, do
so! And if called out, flush and claim multi-tasking. What office
manager can't appreciate that?

My winter commute will be slow, on studded tires while bundled up
nice. I think a nice pipe may be in order, although the closest to a
jaunty cap I'd be able to pull off that would keep me warm enough
would be one of these http://tinyurl.com/5guylk
Old October 29th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

wrote in message

And others saying they only ride on the trails because its just
too dangerous to ride on the road.

We visited the US earlier this year, partly to do some MTBing. We picked up
an MTB guide, and all the bits with road had big "danger danger don't even
think about riding on this road you WILL DIE!!!" labels.

Needless to say at one point after failing to find the unsigned and possibly
non-existent side trail, we just went on the road and it was fine.

Old October 29th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HazeRider[_2_]

On Oct 29, 9:40*am, "Clive George" wrote:
wrote in message

And others saying they only ride on the trails because its just
too dangerous to ride on the road.

We visited the US earlier this year, partly to do some MTBing. We picked up
an MTB guide, and all the bits with road had big "danger danger don't even
think about riding on this road you WILL DIE!!!" labels.

Needless to say at one point after failing to find the unsigned and possibly
non-existent side trail, we just went on the road and it was fine.

Another journalist here..... we have lockers & showers as well as
secure bike lock up rooms in the parking garage. What works for me is
keeping a collection of clothes in my office. slacks, shirts, ties,
one suit which I rarely need, etc....shut office door and change. In
the locker I keep clean socks and underwear, a couple of weeks worth
and what I call my transfer clothes. Black teeshirt & jeans & flip
flops. Come in shower up, put on the jeans etc. leave bike clothes in
the locker to dry, go upstairs change. Ever couple of weeks drive in
late on a Sunday night and switch out the dress clothes and bring in
clean socks and underwear. Amazing how many decent wearings you can
get out of business clothes if you only wear them in the office and
not out comuting to work.
Old October 29th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/29/2008 9:10 AM Phil W Lee wrote:

" considered Wed, 29 Oct 2008
06:33:01 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

[...]

If you can find one, a deerstalker would provide the ear coverage, and
complement the pipe very nicely.

But just don't get a calabash pipe. Yes, that's the pipe they stuck in
Basil Rathbone's mouth and has forever become the signature Sherlock
Holmes pipe for stage and screen, but Doyle never mentioned Holmes using a
calabash.*

Calabashes have lousy aerodynamics anyway. Chart your own course in this
matter.
==============
* Or a deerstalker, for that matter, just an "ear-flapped traveling cap"
in "Silver Blaze".

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 29th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 29, 12:10*pm, Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk
wrote:
[...]

complement the pipe very nicely.- Hide quoted text -

If I can find one of the ones with earflaps, that'd be perfect. Good
call!
Old October 29th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 29, 12:22*pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
[...]

Bend, Oregon- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking corn cob. Simple, disposable, straightforward.
Calabash never crossed my mind.
Old October 29th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

http://www.villagehatshop.com/deerst...ck-holmes.html
http://www.tweedstore.com/sr_mista_deerstalker

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

If you have a closet full of clothes that you would like to sell,consider using an online auction site or consignment store to sell them tointerested consumers. Online auction sites will sell your used clothes to thehighest bidder and will require yo [email protected] General 0 April 25th 08 05:44 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] Techniques 0 December 6th 07 02:29 PM
The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LV packs. And hat.Clothes. Some products, etc.The sale of the old Guinness Super watches. LVpacks. And hat. Clothes. Some products, etc.ello [email protected] UK 0 December 6th 07 02:29 PM
Changing small change Mountain Biking 9 February 15th 05 02:27 PM
Commuting and business clothes tricks Justin Seiferth General 5 July 12th 04 07:03 PM