Clydes Question: Narrowest Tire?

Old November 15th 08, 10:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Default Clydes Question: Narrowest Tire?

If you're over 210#: What's the narrowest tire you can use for
mountain biking without pinch flatting or sinking in to soft
ground too much?
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 15th 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bluezfolk

On Nov 15, 5:38*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
If you're over 210#: *What's the narrowest tire you can use for
mountain biking without pinch flatting or sinking in to soft
ground too much?
--
PeteCresswell

I'm over 210 and usually use 26x2.1 on my mtb's, but I've ridden
trails on a hybrid with 700x38. I think a lot depends on what
surfaces your riding on.

Eric
Old November 16th 08, 12:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Per bluezfolk:

I'm over 210 and usually use 26x2.1 on my mtb's, but I've ridden
trails on a hybrid with 700x38. I think a lot depends on what
surfaces your riding on.

I was looking for something for riding to work - where it's
mostly paved, but occasionally soft gravel.

I suspect the MTT Mutano Raptors I use for most riding are
overkill (they'll float over almost anything). OTOH, the
pseudo-cross tire (26 x 1.25") I was playing around with wanted
to sink in and hunt - i.e. face-plant time if I'm not lucky...

I probably ought to just shut up and stick with the WTBs .... but
I got kind of addicted to the liveliness of the skinny tires and
thought maybe 1.5 or 1.75 might do the job without giving up too
much of that liveliness.

--
PeteCresswell
Old November 17th 08, 07:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bluezfolk

On Nov 15, 7:54*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per bluezfolk:

I'm over 210 and usually use 26x2.1 on my mtb's, but I've ridden
trails on a hybrid with 700x38. *I think a lot depends on what
surfaces your riding on.

I was looking for something for riding to work - where it's
mostly paved, but occasionally soft gravel.

I suspect the MTT Mutano Raptors I use for most riding are
overkill (they'll float over almost anything). * OTOH, the
pseudo-cross tire (26 x 1.25") I was playing around with wanted
to sink in and hunt - i.e. face-plant time if I'm not lucky...

I probably ought to just shut up and stick with the WTBs .... but
I got kind of addicted to the liveliness of the skinny tires and
thought maybe 1.5 or 1.75 might do the job without giving up too
much of that liveliness.

--
PeteCresswell

Geax makes a 26x1.6 they call the street runner, pumps up to 75 psi.
pretty smoothe little tread pattern. Might be worth a look.

Eric