Rans V2 Formula?

Old July 23rd 03, 07:13 AM
Marci Taylor

Default Rans V2 Formula?

MLB wrote in message .4.25...
Thought someone here said it (VČ) was 7lbs lighter than the steel version?

I said that and I was wrong. It's about 5 or 6lbs. lighter which is
still significaant when you consider hills, etc. My dealer has a 2003
V2 cromo version and we put it on the scales and it weighted in at 32.
The V2 formula aluminum version is said to weigh an honest 26. Much
of this weight reduction is from parts not just frame. I think the
frame itself is only 1.5 to 2 lbs. lighter.
Marci
Old July 24th 03, 10:10 PM
Marci Taylor

(PJ) wrote in message . com...
(Marci Taylor) wrote in message . com...
MLB wrote in message .4.25...
Thought someone here said it (VČ) was 7lbs lighter than the steel version?

I said that and I was wrong. It's about 5 or 6lbs. lighter which is
still significaant when you consider hills, etc. My dealer has a 2003
V2 cromo version and we put it on the scales and it weighted in at 32.
The V2 formula aluminum version is said to weigh an honest 26. Much
of this weight reduction is from parts not just frame. I think the
frame itself is only 1.5 to 2 lbs. lighter.
Marci

An honest 26 lbs seems pretty optimistic....Rans lists the V2 Formula
as 28.5 lbs and I have found there information to also be a bit
optimistic. None the less it looks to be a great bike and I am sure
that you will enjoy it at whatever weight it comes in at.

Pat Mc

I know they did publish those higher weights, 28.5 in their earlier
brochures but according to several high up people at Rans, the weight
is now an honest 26.8 due to some changes in the seat and the
components. I don't think the weight is so hard to swallow given that
an easy racers gold rush can weight in that same neighborhood with all
the high end parts. My custom tailwind which is now a 26/20 wheel
combo( and is all ultegra groupo with HED extra light wheels) weights
an honest 29 lbs. and that is with the old heavy seat and the over
constructed heavly cromo frame. Expensive components can really shave
off weight. The Velocity has the Chris king headset and the light
wheels which saw a ton of weight not to mention the light seat.
marci
Marci

Old July 25th 03, 07:55 AM
PaPa

I won't reveal the details Marci, but... i'm betting the weight won't
ultimately be THE issue. Simply put, I like the Formula, but hate the
ride. It's brutal.

Old July 25th 03, 07:55 AM
PaPa

Old July 25th 03, 12:45 PM
Robert Siegel

Marci --

None of my biz ...but ... although I respect that a great many people like
the V2 ... it's not for me. I rode a V2 for (admittedly only) a couple of
hours in Atlanta GA right after the first production bikes got to dealers.
I hated it. I found it heavy, sluggish, with tiller effect ... and it was
a struggle (for me at least) to get started uphill. And Atlanta is all up
hill. ;-))

Gator Bob Siegel

Old July 25th 03, 03:14 PM
MLB

PaPa wrote in news:3f20d91b$1_2
@news.chariot.net.au:

I won't reveal the details Marci, but... i'm betting the weight won't
ultimately be THE issue. Simply put, I like the Formula, but hate the
ride. It's brutal.

I wondered about that. The steel VČ was the stiffest bent I've been on.
Wondered how it could be stiffer and not ride like a tank.