Rans V2 Formula?

Old July 25th 03, 03:14 PM
MLB

Default Rans V2 Formula?

PaPa wrote in news:3f20d91b$1_2
@news.chariot.net.au:

I won't reveal the details Marci, but... i'm betting the weight won't
ultimately be THE issue. Simply put, I like the Formula, but hate the
ride. It's brutal.

I wondered about that. The steel VČ was the stiffest bent I've been on.
Wondered how it could be stiffer and not ride like a tank.
Old July 25th 03, 03:16 PM
MLB

"Robert Siegel" wrote in
:

Marci --

None of my biz ...but ... although I respect that a great many people
like the V2 ... it's not for me. I rode a V2 for (admittedly only) a
couple of hours in Atlanta GA right after the first production bikes
got to dealers. I hated it. I found it heavy, sluggish, with tiller
effect ... and it was a struggle (for me at least) to get started
uphill. And Atlanta is all up hill. ;-))

Gator Bob Siegel

"PaPa" wrote in message
I won't reveal the details Marci, but... i'm betting the weight won't
ultimately be THE issue. Simply put, I like the Formula, but hate the
ride. It's brutal.

Tiller effect for sure, but you get used to that quickly.
Sluggish? Heavy? Mine sure wasn't. Fastest bent I've been on (not that
there were lots, 6 or 7)

Old July 25th 03, 10:28 PM
Marci Taylor

PaPa wrote in message ...
I won't reveal the details Marci, but... i'm betting the weight won't
ultimately be THE issue. Simply put, I like the Formula, but hate the
ride. It's brutal.

How were you able to ride a formula at this time?? Rans says no one
exists yet. They are scheduled to come in the middle of august. Did
you ride a prototype somewhere?
Marci

Old July 26th 03, 12:33 AM
Robert Siegel

My reaction to the V2 I tes-rode was influenced by bents I owned and liked:
P-38 XT; Challenge Taifun; GRR; Ti Rush.

--
Gator Bob Siegel

Old July 26th 03, 04:20 AM
Marci Taylor

Steve Christensen wrote in message ...
In article , PaPa says...

I won't reveal the details Marci, but... i'm betting the weight won't
ultimately be THE issue. Simply put, I like the Formula, but hate the
ride. It's brutal.

That's very interesting to hear. I was considering upgrading to the Formula
when I ordered my V2, but was put off by the possibility of a harsh ride. I
already find the ride of a chromo V2 frame to be a bit harsher than I like,
being used to a fully suspended SWB. And I suffer from RB at times (though
never on my reclined Vision VR-42). So I was easily convinced that the
potentially harsher ride of an aluminum frame, coupled with the thinner seat pad
of the new carbon seat might NOT be the way to go.

Steve Christensen

Rans states that you can order the bike with the regular seat pad and
still get the lightweight seat. I did this. I wasn't interested in
the harsher seat. For me, the lightest weight LWB possible is what
drew me to this bike. Yes, the GRR (gold rush replica) is a great
bike but I do prefer a bit higher BB to seat relation. I have always
loved the GRR but sometimes the extremely low BB gave me some knee
pain. So, again, I hope the V2 formula will provide low weight, and a
bit higher BB to seat. If I find the bike too harsh, I will just
adjust the air pressure in the tires a tiny bit and as I said, I will
have the regular seat cushion.
Marci

Old July 26th 03, 12:49 PM
Jude T. McGloin

Good Morning Marci,
I might point out that although aluminum tends to be harsh ride, it
does provide, in the case of the V2, a stiffer lighter ride
So it depends what you are willing to sacrafice. The fastest or best
climber is often not the most comfortable.
The seat is an area of concern when it comes to weight. It is also a
concern of efficency especially when climbing.
Tiller effect on the V2 has been one of the concerns...for some.
While some can not handle, others manage it and still others shruh theirs
sholders and say....."So"? The new V2 has less tiller effect. But then I'm
one of the "So"? people. What do I know.
I will never catch up to you Marci when it comes to bents owned.
I will say the when I look at a recumbent my main thought is "Primary use"
Commuting? Day Trips? Self supported overnighters? Fast Competitive riding?
Fire Trails/light off road? Too often many complain that this or that bike
is lousy at this or that, when that is apparant from a weight, tires/wheels,
gearing etc. without even riding it.
I'm sure you will tell us how you like the V2 F and I might even
get one myself.
--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO
St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland
"Marci Taylor" wrote in message
m...
"Robert Siegel" wrote in message

Marci --

None of my biz ...but ... although I respect that a great many people

like
the V2 ... it's not for me. I rode a V2 for (admittedly only) a couple

of
hours in Atlanta GA right after the first production bikes got to

dealers.
I hated it. I found it heavy, sluggish, with tiller effect ... and it

was
a struggle (for me at least) to get started uphill. And Atlanta is all

up
hill. ;-))

Gator Bob Siegel

That is the point to the formula. It's not 32 lbs. and not sluggish.
In fact, 26.8 lbs. is among the lightest weight bents out there. I too
live in the hills and that is why I really don't like any bike that
weights anymore than about the 27 lb. range. I think my Saber is
about 27 lbs. As far as the tiller, I didn't notice it on the cromo
version that I had. Mine was a 2001 model. I guess not every bike
suits every person. If I don't like it, I can sell it to someone who
does.....
marci