Bike Couriers in Melb

Old November 4th 04, 07:57 AM
Gags

Default Bike Couriers in Melb

I have almost convinced the chief officer of finances and entertainment that
it would be a good idea for me to take some of the long service leave that I
have owing (4 months or so) and spend the time working as a bike courier in
Melbourne. The plan being to get fitter and earn some extra cash that I
could then spend on a bike and bike gear (and hopefully claim on tax).

Does anyone know much about being a bike courier in Melb?

ie.
How flexible are the hours?
What's the money like?
What are some bike courier company names in Melb?
How hard is it to get a job?
How many k's would an average day entail?
etc, etc.......

Any info would be appreciated.

Ride On,

Gags

Old November 4th 04, 08:48 AM
flyingdutch

Gags Wrote:
I have almost convinced the chief officer of finances and entertainmen
tha
it would be a good idea for me to take some of the long service leav
that
have owing (4 months or so) and spend the time working as a bik
courier i
Melbourne. The plan being to get fitter and earn some extra cash tha

could then spend on a bike and bike gear (and hopefully claim on tax)

Does anyone know much about being a bike courier in Melb

ie
How flexible are the hours
What's the money like
What are some bike courier company names in Melb
How hard is it to get a job
How many k's would an average day entail
etc, etc......

Any info would be appreciated

Ride On

Gags

Dunno bowt the fit part!
The amount these lads drink after hours is impressive!!

Seen lots of 'Minuteman' (red-black) people flying about.
Byron27 probably can fill you in on many of the ins-outs
Come along to the CM 'Tunnel-of-Love' ride this month as there shoul
be plenty of couriers to ask. Or just loiter rund the front of one o
the bigger CBD buildings for the goss

--
flyingdutc

Old November 4th 04, 08:49 AM
byron27

Gags Wrote:
[...]

i think this has come up before and i have definitely written about i
from a general perspective on this forum. Search for "bike couriers" an
see what comes up.

Money is good if you hammer yourself into the ground day in, day out
but it takes awhile to get the hang of it and 4 months isnt enough t
become top dawg, but your getting paid long service, so you are gonn
get paid twice for four months anyhow i guess..

if you still have some more questions after reading the old posts i
always willing to harp on ad infinitum about my "glory days" as a bik
courier. These are the stories i will be boring my grandkids with so
want to get some practice in telling them :

--
byron2

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old November 4th 04, 08:50 AM
flyingdutch

oh, and if you want fitness flexible hours and still get the majority o
the day to yourself, become a garbo. those lads look hard

--
flyingdutch

Old November 4th 04, 08:54 AM
byron27

flyingdutch Wrote:
oh, and if you want fitness flexible hours and still get the majority o
the day to yourself, become a garbo. those lads look hard!

jesus dutchie, how the hell did you manage to post 1647 posts!

Old November 4th 04, 11:54 AM
Gags

Gags

i think this has come up before and i have definitely written about it
from a general perspective on this forum. Search for "bike couriers" and
see what comes up.

Did the search......came up with nada...........

Gags

Old November 4th 04, 12:08 PM
TimC

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 at 08:54 GMT, byron27 (aka Bruce)

flyingdutch Wrote:
oh, and if you want fitness flexible hours and still get the majority of
the day to yourself, become a garbo. those lads look hard!

jesus dutchie, how the hell did you manage to post 1647 posts!!

There are certain other froups, where I manage to psot a good couple
of hundred a month. I've been there for a few years now.

Pity I don't get afafda on my current newswerver.

Octopuses don't like astro turf much. That's a *great* piece of trivia
to drop into conversations. I must remember it.
-- Lloyd Gilbert in AFAFDA
Old November 4th 04, 12:09 PM
TimC

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 at 08:48 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)
Dunno bowt the fit part!
The amount these lads drink after hours is impressive!!

Seen lots of 'Minuteman' (red-black) people flying about.
Byron27 probably can fill you in on many of the ins-outs
Come along to the CM 'Tunnel-of-Love' ride this month as there should

Tunnel of love? I don't recall reading about this. Hopefully, I'll
remember to google it when I am less drunk than now. Now, I bess I
guetter ride home, eh?

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
-- Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall
Old November 4th 04, 12:09 PM
DRS

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?n...thor%3Abyron27

--

A: Top-posters.

Old November 4th 04, 12:38 PM
Gags

"DRS" wrote in message
"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message

Gags
i think this has come up before and i have definitely written about
it from a general perspective on this forum. Search for "bike
couriers" and see what comes up.

Did the search......came up with nada...........

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?n...thor%3Abyron27
--
A: Top-posters.

Thanks for that.....top result in search was exactly what I was looking for.

Another question for any couriers out there......what are the best times of
the year in Melb to do it (weather wise and busiest periods)??

Ride On,

Gags

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM