Hardest ever Olympic road race in 2008?

Old August 19th 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Artoi

Default Hardest ever Olympic road race in 2008?

Just read the feed back from the Good Luck games in Beijing where they
staged a trial run on the intended road and TT course for next year. It
sounded real tough.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ug07/aug19news

I was a little surprised what a strong team the Aussie put up vs what
others had.
Old August 20th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marian

--

Ahh... That explains the recent spate of phone calls I've been getting
from Beijing for the correct English translation of obscure Chinese

I vaguely knew the Good Luck Games were going to be sometime soon and
that I had an iffy possibility of going. Since they conflicted with
an amateur race where I was a competitor I wonder what I would have
done if I'd actually gotten the invite.

-M

Old August 20th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

Marian wrote:
I wonder what I would have
done if I'd actually gotten the invite.

Gone clubbing with Mick and Cadel.

--
E. Dronkert
Old August 20th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marian

On Aug 20, 7:56 pm, Marian wrote:
On Aug 19, 4:49 pm, Artoi wrote:

Just read the feed back from the Good Luck games in Beijing where they
staged a trial run on the intended road and TT course for next year. It
sounded real tough.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ug07/aug19news

I was a little surprised what a strong team the Aussie put up vs what
others had.
--

Ahh... That explains the recent spate of phone calls I've been getting
from Beijing for the correct English translation of obscure Chinese
bike jargon that hasn't yet made it into the Dictionary of Sport.

I vaguely knew the Good Luck Games were going to be sometime soon and
that I had an iffy possibility of going. Since they conflicted with
an amateur race where I was a competitor I wonder what I would have
done if I'd actually gotten the invite.

On a further note, since it mentioned lots of climbing I'm surprised
to see that 5 of the 6 guys from China Team #2 were DNF and the one
who did finish did it last. I seem to recall being told that the
Qinghai Team's strong point is climbing.

China Team #3 must be Marco Polo Cycling since their four finishers
are clearly non-Chinese names and one of those is distinctly
Mongolian.

I recognize some of the names from Giant Asia (Chinese Taipei) from
Qinghai and a few of the Hong Kong Procycling names either from
Qinghai or the Hainan race but I don't think any of them are ones I've
met, unless Ghader Mizbani Iranagh (not even going to try to figure
out which end of that name is first and which is last) is the middle
eastern guy whose foot I stepped on at the disco the last night in
Qinghai.

Of the Chinese names I definitely do recognize I'm dismayed to see
that none of the ones I'm particularly fond of had especially good
results.

Like most sports fans my reasons for cheering on my favorites (at
least within China) have nothing at all to do with their actual skill
at the sport. Unlike most sports fans I have completely rational
reasons. They include but are not limited to remembering my name from
one event to the next, commenting favorably on my tattoo, loaning me a
cellphone when mine had low battery, and not merely owning the same
bike t-shirt as me but also wearing it at the same time.

-M

Old August 20th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marian

Old August 20th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Stu Fleming

Marian wrote:
On Aug 19, 4:49 pm, Artoi wrote:
Just read the feed back from the Good Luck games in Beijing where they
staged a trial run on the intended road and TT course for next year. It
sounded real tough.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ug07/aug19news

I was a little surprised what a strong team the Aussie put up vs what
others had.
--

Ahh... That explains the recent spate of phone calls I've been getting
from Beijing for the correct English translation of obscure Chinese
bike jargon that hasn't yet made it into the Dictionary of Sport.

So, what is the correct idiom for "Pull...or get dropped"?
Old August 20th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 19, 4:49 am, Artoi wrote:
Just read the feed back from the Good Luck games in Beijing where they
staged a trial run on the intended road and TT course for next year. It
sounded real tough.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ug07/aug19news

I was a little surprised what a strong team the Aussie put up vs what
others had.
--

Since I'm staying less than 1km from the 1976 Olympic road race
course, I have to take issue with the claim that the 2008 course will

-ilan

Old August 21st 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marian

On Aug 21, 4:14 am, Stu Fleming wrote:
Marian wrote:
On Aug 19, 4:49 pm, Artoi wrote:
Just read the feed back from the Good Luck games in Beijing where they
staged a trial run on the intended road and TT course for next year. It
sounded real tough.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...ug07/aug19news

I was a little surprised what a strong team the Aussie put up vs what
others had.
--

Ahh... That explains the recent spate of phone calls I've been getting
from Beijing for the correct English translation of obscure Chinese
bike jargon that hasn't yet made it into the Dictionary of Sport.

So, what is the correct idiom for "Pull...or get dropped"?

Hmm...

Paceline and drafting both are "genqi" which is with + ride
I am drafting him - "wo zuo tade genqi"
I am riding with him - "wo gen ta yiqi qi" (note: same 'gen'
and same 'qi')
We were in a paceline - "wo he ta shi zai zuo genqi" or
"women zai zuo genqi" with the first one having two definite people
mentioned and the second one merely being plural
Get on! - "shang wode genqi!" or "shanglai"
Dropped - "diudui" (literally lost team)
I was dropped - "wo diudui le"
Peloton - "dabu dui" (large part team/group)

The first rider in a paceline (at least for my local guys in Hainan)
is "lingqi" which is leader + ride. However, I know this usage
isn't universal even among Chinese bikers. "lingdui" (leader +
team) was being used in the written stuff at TdQL to refer to Team
Managers but I know it can also refer to star riders. like Armstrong.

So...having never actually had reason to personally use this phrase
and with my paceline position generally being desperately hanging on
to the back with no expectation from anyone that I will ever take lead
position ... I'm going to guess that "Pull or get dropped" would be:

ruguo ni meiyou zuo lingqi de hua women jiu rang ni diudui

-M

Old August 21st 07, 09:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Marian wrote:
ruguo ni meiyou zuo lingqi de hua women jiu rang ni diudui

Sprinters have comprehension problems with long sentences.

Old August 21st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marian

Marian wrote:
ruguo ni meiyou zuo lingqi de hua women jiu rang ni diudui

Sprinters have comprehension problems with long sentences.

Ahh...

"Wangbadan! Zuo lingqi. Keyi ma?"
"You ****ing turtle's egg! Take the lead. Ok?"

Is that better?

By the way, are my Chinese characters showing up?

-M