Portland's Bridge Pedal Debacle

Old August 16th 07, 01:51 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Don Homuth

Default Portland's Bridge Pedal Debacle

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 00:45:47 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Two people. Three cars. Conspicuous Consumption.

Would that work if one of the cars was a:

* Station wagon?
* Mini-Van?
* Pickemup truck?
* Recreational vehicle - large or small?

If true, then there are a Lot of miscreant conspicuous consumers out
there.

Is this a Great country or What?
Old August 16th 07, 02:06 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Steven[_3_]

On Aug 15, 2:34 pm, Lobby Dosser
wrote:
Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:
Besides -- there's something pretty Cool about owning the same sports
car for thirty years.

I've got a knife I've had for more than fifty.

I've got the same dick I've had for 41 but it gets complicated after
that...leave me alone

Old August 16th 07, 02:09 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Two people. Three cars. Conspicuous Consumption.

Would that work if one of the cars was a:

* Station wagon?
* Mini-Van?
* Pickemup truck?
* Recreational vehicle - large or small?

Yes.

If true, then there are a Lot of miscreant conspicuous consumers out
there.

There are. Huge numbers. And it's not just cars. Big honking boats, motor
cycles, ATVs, $3k bicycles, $250K RVs, ...

Is this a Great country or What?

Until the bills come due.

Old August 16th 07, 02:12 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Lobby Dosser

Steven wrote:

On Aug 15, 2:34 pm, Lobby Dosser
wrote:
Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:
Besides -- there's something pretty Cool about owning the same
sports car for thirty years.

I've got a knife I've had for more than fifty.

I've got the same dick I've had for 41 but it gets complicated after
that...leave me alone

Well, Isn't That Special!
Old August 16th 07, 02:13 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
.com
,
Brian Huntley wrote:

On Aug 14, 2:50 pm, Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...page=4&t=17399

Nope.

http://www.northwestz.org/members/ha...berProfileView...

Dang - I was expecting a '73 B210. Now *that* was a stealth vehicle.

I ran around in a 510. Less expensive to run than a BMW.

--
Michael Press
Old August 16th 07, 02:16 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Steven[_3_]

On Aug 15, 2:58 pm, Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:38:10 GMT, Lobby Dosser

wrote:
Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

As I've said, I have regretted selling it ever since. Even now there
is a picture of it on the bulletin board above my desk that I look at
an remember -- right down to the side exhausts and Kelsey-Hayes
knockoff wheels.

Sad. Very sad.

Yeah -- I've owned some pretty neat cars in my life, but that's The
One I regret having sold.

Ah well -- I'm not the only former Corvette owners who tells that same
story.

Corvettes get girls.

One of the girls becomes a wife.

Wife knows that Corvettes get girls and wants it gone.

It's one of those Territorial Things, apparently.

Corvettes are a procreational toolbox for the Church?

Old August 16th 07, 02:21 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Steven[_3_]

On Aug 15, 7:12 pm, Lobby Dosser
wrote:
Steven wrote:
On Aug 15, 2:34 pm, Lobby Dosser
wrote:
Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:
Besides -- there's something pretty Cool about owning the same
sports car for thirty years.

I've got a knife I've had for more than fifty.

I've got the same dick I've had for 41 but it gets complicated after
that...leave me alone

Well, Isn't That Special!

I built a porch over it, mein friend! Dunlop's disease.

Old August 16th 07, 02:22 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Steven[_3_]

On Aug 15, 7:13 pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
.com
,
Brian Huntley wrote:

On Aug 14, 2:50 pm, Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...page=4&t=17399

Nope.

http://www.northwestz.org/members/ha...berProfileView...

Dang - I was expecting a '73 B210. Now *that* was a stealth vehicle.

I ran around in a 510. Less expensive to run than a BMW.

--
Michael Press

My cousin had a Lil' Hustler truck. That was neat.

Old August 16th 07, 04:24 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Niobrara

Bill Sornson wrote:
Niobrara wrote:
Bill Shatzer wrote:

Peace and jusstice,

War and oppression,

Yomamma and pappa,

Horse and carriage,
Old August 16th 07, 04:28 AM posted to or.politics,pdx.general,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Niobrara

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:29:05 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:36:54 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Don Homuth dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote:

Not my call, at the time. When I bought the Datsun, we already
had another Practical Car. And then, interestingly enough, my
wife bought her own -- a 1976. So there we were with three cars.

It was all Very strange.

Not at all. There's even a name for it: 'Conspicuous Consumption'.
Anything can fit a definition, if you wish it to do so and want to
force it hard enough.

But it seems that my First wife rather liked driving my '75, and
when a '76 came up at a Really good price, she decided to buy it for
her own use.

That fits the definition. Smoothly.

It's reasonably clear that it was consumption, as defined. It's not
at all clear that it was conspicuous, however.

You are, to my knowledge, the first person who ever made that
statement. It was her money, and if she wanted the car, she was more
than free to buy it.

Two people. Three cars. Conspicuous Consumption.

Tax the mofos!