my crank needs lubrication

Old January 13th 10, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default my crank needs lubrication

my crank needs lubrication

Do I use grease or lube?

I'm not fond of the idea of taking the crank apart (and hoping to
be able to put it back in together)... Is there any liquid grease
(from any auto parts stores) I can just squirt into it to make this
work?

Any ideas?

Old January 13th 10, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 13 Jan, 05:57, Ablang wrote:
*my crank needs lubrication

* * Do I use grease or lube?

* * I'm not fond of the idea of taking the crank apart (and hoping to
be able to put it back in together)... Is there any liquid grease
(from any auto parts stores) I can just squirt into it to make this
work?

* * Any ideas?

If the crank is creaking it needs tightening. I'll assume its a
square taper crank. "Penetrating oil" may be effective in creeping in
between the flats of the spindle and the cranks. Oil behind the crank
and ride a little, then tighten the crank bolt up.
Old January 13th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:57:43 -0800, Ablang wrote:

my crank needs lubrication

Do I use grease or lube?

I'm not fond of the idea of taking the crank apart (and hoping to
be able to put it back in together)... Is there any liquid grease (from
any auto parts stores) I can just squirt into it to make this work?

Any ideas?

Get a girlfriend.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
Old January 13th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:57:43 -0800 (PST), Ablang
wrote:

my crank needs lubrication

Do I use grease or lube?

I'm not fond of the idea of taking the crank apart (and hoping to
be able to put it back in together)... Is there any liquid grease
(from any auto parts stores) I can just squirt into it to make this
work?

Any ideas?

I'm so glad that was a serious question.
Old January 13th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 13 Jan, 15:34, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Ron Ablang wrote:
my crank needs lubrication
Do I use grease or lube?
I'm not fond of the idea of taking the crank apart (and hoping to be
able to put it back in together)... Is there any liquid grease (from
any auto parts stores) I can just squirt into it to make this work?
Any ideas?

How do you know the "crank needs lubrication"? *If it is making
noises, you'd best find out why and where the sounds are emitted. *A
crank that is loose on its spindle is most likely ruined

Only if the rider has continued riding for some time despite the
noises. When the noises are only part time (hill climbing) it is
likely no disaster has befallen the cranks.

because
motion between crank and spindle can only occur if the bore is
damaged. *Such damage generally occurs because the crank was not
adequately tightened and this cannot be repaired with lubrication.

mostly.

You didn't say what kind of cranks you ride or how you determined
lubrication is required. *If you fill in this information, readers
would be more likely to make decisions on what to do. *I haven't seen
a reply from a bike shop yet, so they know no more than others from
reading your description.

Old January 15th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jan 12, 11:57*pm, Ablang wrote:
*my crank needs lubrication

* * Do I use grease or lube?

* * I'm not fond of the idea of taking the crank apart (and hoping to
be able to put it back in together)... Is there any liquid grease
(from any auto parts stores) I can just squirt into it to make this
work?

* * Any ideas?

a looooooong time ago it was not unheard of for a bottom bracket to
have a grease nipple. I doubt that you are riding anything of this
vintage, but if you are then yes you can just hook your gun on it and
squirt away. Most bikes made these days have sealed cartridges that
don't require periodic repacking - but you still have to open it up to
replace them. But, there is a good chance that the squeak in your
crank is not actually coming from the bearing in the bottom bracket
but from something being loose.
Old January 18th 10, 06:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

thirty-six wrote:

If the crank is creaking it needs tightening. *I'll assume its a
square taper crank. *"Penetrating oil" may be effective in creeping in
between the flats of the spindle and the cranks. *Oil behind the crank
and ride a little, then tighten the crank bolt up.

Creaking in (square taper) cranks is almost always cups in the frame
or else pedal cages.

In my observation, of course.

Chalo
Old January 18th 10, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

dgk wrote:

Ablang wrote:

my crank needs lubrication

* *Do I use grease or lube?

* *I'm not fond of the idea of taking the crank apart (and hoping to
be able to put it back in together)... Is there any liquid grease
(from any auto parts stores) I can just squirt into it to make this
work?

* *Any ideas?

I'm so glad that was a serious question.

I fully expected to see the usual reply from Sorni.

Chalo

Old January 18th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 18 Jan, 06:08, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

If the crank is creaking it needs tightening. *I'll assume its a
square taper crank. *"Penetrating oil" may be effective in creeping in
between the flats of the spindle and the cranks. *Oil behind the crank
and ride a little, then tighten the crank bolt up.

Creaking in (square taper) cranks is almost always cups in the frame
or else pedal cages.

In my observation, of course.

I agree 'creaking cranks' is rarely creaking cranks, but sometimes
it's not the pedal cleat or the freewheel and most square taper cranks
are not fully tightened, which does cause creaking when climbing if
the interface is dry and the rider is a bit lardy.

CF lubrication..... Crescentius Vespasianus Techniques 5 August 11th 07 01:31 PM
Cable lubrication Wreckless Eric Techniques 14 May 12th 06 03:55 PM
Lubrication Bob UK 20 March 30th 05 10:31 PM
lubrication Andy Mullins Mountain Biking 15 January 28th 05 01:15 PM
Lubrication - where, when, what, how much? Sarennah UK 12 March 3rd 04 03:51 PM