Chain Cases

Old May 25th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_6_]

Default Chain Cases

Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Of course, it rained there. I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

Jones

Old May 25th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 25, 12:29*pm, !Jones wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Of course, it rained there. *I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

Jones

Yes. I think the Swedes got chain guards right. They just cover the
portion where your pants might smudge, and have holes in them so as to
not collect rust.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brettweir/4002072367/

Old May 25th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On May 25, 6:29*pm, !Jones wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Of course, it rained there. *I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

No, just turn the bike over and work on the portion of tyre which is
punctured. Repair the hole. It's called a puncture repair kit in
English speaking parts of the world, you can get them with tyre levers
which you leave hooked to the spokes as you repair the puncture. What
did you otherwise make of the hooks?
Old May 25th 11, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

!Jones wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Yes. My wife's Gazelle has a chain case. It's an asset to that bike,
which sits outside a lot.

Of course, it rained there. *I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

A chain case keeps most of the dust and dirt off, too, which makes the
chain lube work as intended.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

Why yes it is. However, I'd say the nuisance of a chain case is on
the same order of magnitude as a three-speed shift cable or a drum or
coaster brake torque arm when it's time to change a tire. Bothersome,
but not really a deal breaker.

I put a Michelin Pilot City tire on the back of my wife's Dutch bike,
in the interest of avoiding flats at their point of origin. I used a
CST Salvo on the front, because it was a better fit. Now the main
issue with that bike is that my wife never tops up the tires and
sometimes runs them until they are about to slop off the rims by
themselves.

Chalo
Old May 26th 11, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/25/2011 12:29 PM, !Jones wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Of course, it rained there. I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

I will be getting this chain case (the green one) either Friday or
Tuesday: http://www.spincyclz.com/images/5385988334_2a3cfa7ea5_b-1.jpg.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 26th 11, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On May 26, 1:41*am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 5/25/2011 12:29 PM, !Jones wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Of course, it rained there. *I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

I will be getting this chain case (the green one) either Friday or
Tuesday: http://www.spincyclz.com/images/5385988334_2a3cfa7ea5_b-1.jpg.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

unless it happens to be blue.
Old May 26th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/25/2011 8:17 PM, thirty-six aka Trevor Jeffrey wrote:
On May 26, 1:41�am, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 5/25/2011 12:29 PM, !Jones wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Of course, it rained there. �I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

I will be getting this chain case (the green one) either Friday or
Tuesday:http://www.spincyclz.com/images/5385988334_2a3cfa7ea5_b-1.jpg.

unless it happens to be blue.

Only if the shipping got mixed up.

Old May 26th 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 25, 6:29*pm, !Jones wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with a chain case?

We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Of course, it rained there. *I live in Texas and it doesn't do that
here... at least, not in recent memory.

It seems like that drive case would be a PITA when you had to fix a
flat.

Jones

I have bikes with full cases in the Dutch fully enveloping style, with
the Utopia proprietary style (very expensive), and with the Hebie
Chainglider. I prefer the Chainglider for its simplicity and apparent
longevity and its silence. The Utopia is fragile, the Dutch cases
rattle a bit, and the Chainglider must by definition have a finite
lifespan, though after a year and about 2000km on mine I see no signs
of wear.

The Chainglider is sold in modular pieces, though you have to choose
your dealer right. So it would be the easiest to retrofit to a tandem.

It is a mistake to see a chaincase solely in terms of keeping out
water. My bike rarely gets wet but chaincases have doubled (and
better, but I don't know how much yet) the life of the chain on my
bike. Presumably it does this by keeping out dust. Water is after all,
as Jobst is found of saying, a lubricant. But dust and oil together
make a good grinding paste to wreck gears and chains.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejute.html
Old May 26th 11, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On May 25, 8:23*pm, Chalo wrote:
!Jones wrote:
We were in Dublin last summer and rented a tandem with full cases...
both the timing chain and drive chain were cased... full fenders and
front hub dynamo... I *liked* it a lot!

Yes. *My wife's Gazelle has a chain case. *It's an asset to that bike,
which sits outside a lot.

Civilized people visit Dublin and ride Gazelle.

I live down the road from Dublin so I can drop in occasionally, and of
course I own a Gazelle.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case the natives were planning on
getting uppity now that they're about to start riding in enclosed
tricycles.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html
Old May 26th 11, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

unnnggggggh a pile of $$$ awaits a workable inexpensive durable no
problema chain protector.
someone post a hyperlinked patent review