Two races, one day - preparation and tips ?

Old April 29th 05, 11:07 PM
Lou D'Amelio

Default Two races, one day - preparation and tips ?

Hi - relatively new racer, racing age 45. Did a busy season of club
races last year and 6 or 7 USCF races as a V, finishing in pack.
Stepped up my fitness/training and am now finishing strong at the front
of the pack in my first few cat V races of the year;looking to upgrade
in a month or so to a IV. This Sunday, I'm looking to enter both the V
and 45+ categories of a local circuit race. Each race is 20 miles on a
more or less flat course (one short big ring hill of 75 meters.) The V
is first at 8 AM; I'll have about 80 - 90 minutes before the 45 +. Any
insight regarding racing twice on the same morning? Should I just ride
the V as pack fill for a warm up ? Go all out in the V and do what I
can in the 45+ ? What about warm-up for the second race ? Should I keep
spinning around in Zone II for a while between races or just take a
normal warm-up ? Any tips for between race nutrition also appreciated.
I have a few common sense ideas of my own, but would appreciate input
from those more experienced.
Thanks...........Lou D'Amelio

Old April 29th 05, 11:43 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 29 Apr 2005 15:07:09 -0700, "Lou D'Amelio"
wrote:

Any
insight regarding racing twice on the same morning? Should I just ride
the V as pack fill for a warm up ?

Ride it smart and keep your eyes open for opportunity. If it comes,
take it, but don't force things like hammering on the front.

What about warm-up for the second race ?

Do a nice cooldown from the first race and a normal warmup for the
second. You might even find that you "open up" more quickly warming up
for the second event. Don't rider the whole time between the two --
bike racing is a big stress and a brief rest will help a lot.
Any tips for between race nutrition also appreciated.

For sure change your undershirt and ideally change all your clothes.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old April 30th 05, 11:13 AM
Stewart Fleming

At least we are still allowed to discuss more than one race in RBR.
Old April 30th 05, 10:38 PM

Some stage races have a road race and then a TT in the afternoon, I
always
thought this was the sickest thing a promoter could do...but two crits
can
be pretty cool and great for fitness.
the most important thing - do NOT eat anything solid, maybe a gel and
diluted gatorade.
cool down, chill out, and then do a light warm up, don't let that
sleepy tired feeling set in,
maybe a little caffeine if you are used to caffeine, if not skip it,
some people get dehydrated
and sick stomachs.
You might be surprised how good you feel in the
second race, since you will be very warmed up, much of the nervousness
is gone,
and you will be more focused and relaxed.
When I was a 3, they used to let the 3's do the PRO/1/2 crits after our
race if we
weren't too dizzy.
I would mostly sit at the back, but finishing was a major
accomplishment - I also learned a great deal about
handling my bike and tactics by watching the harder race and more
experienced riders,
and I also learned about race survival, which served me later in stage
races and stull like that, little mental tricks to keep going when you
know you aren't really racing to win, which was always hard for me,
since that was most of the time when I upgraded. Once I got third in
the second race by sneaking off the front
in the last lap with a local cat. 1, so like John said, keep an eye
open for possibilities in the second
race - you never know.