New B&M 100lux headlight.

Old December 12th 17, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:53:50 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 12/10/2017 8:01 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 12:30:16 +0100, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 19:41:16 -0600, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 10:34:13 +0100, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Because you generally want to shield from a flattish \ line of
approaching lights, but not shield your view to the sides, the flatter
brims work better.

We're talking about cycling caps, not baseball caps. A cycling cap
bill's curve would shade the center of the field of view while allowing
peripheral vision.

True. Just use what works best for you, short of Yehuda Moon style. Our
beloved champions aren't strict either, at least after a bad (styrofoam)
hair day:
https://ekz-crosstour.ch/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/RSP_1321-1024x682.jpg

Just like the curved cutoff in the awful OculuStvzo engineering sample
doesn't work...

There's no equivalence between the shape of the brim and the shape of
the cutoff. The cutoff is designed to manage outgoing light, keeping it
where it is useful and not shining it where it is not.

Not functionally equivalent, of course. You did see the video he linked?
There are only two choices with a reversed crescent cutoff: Either aim it
low enough that it does not glare directly opposing traffic, or aim it high
enough to keep the 90 and 270 degree fields of vision for fast curves.

black-tinted rear window; auto-dimming mirrors; manure-spreading trailer.

I have an auto-dimming mirror in my new car. It verges on useless as it
does not dim anywhere near enough. I'd rather have a manual mirror so
that I don't have to reach up and point the damned mirror at the ceiling
so that I'm not blinded by the vehicle behind me.

My wife's small Honda has a manual tab on the bottom of the mirror.
Flick it with your finger and the "guy behind"'s lights are focused on
the ceiling :-)

Still leaves the side mirrors vulnerable. Okay, so the trailer will need to
be wide enough to block the view, but not as wide as to require the mounting
of extra side mirrors on the Honda.

I'm not sure about side mirrors. I have them on my pickup and my
wife's little Honda has them But I don't remember ever having a
problem with them.

I sometimes have the problem, mostly on freeways. My wife even has that
problem sitting in the passenger seat. It occurs mostly when truck
drivers (pickups, box trucks, tractor-trailer rigs) have high headlights
and insist on using high beams. It's more MFFY behavior.

Our current car has electrically adjustable side mirrors. If speed
differentials are small enough that the problem persists for more than a
few seconds, I point the mirrors downward until the offender is out of
range. If they pass quickly, I just shade my side mirror with my hand.

It might be the way I have the side mirrors aimed on the pickup. With
my head in the normal driving position I can see that rear edge of the
cargo box on the inside edge of the mirrors, and the rest is road.

My wife possibly re-aims the side mirrors if they bother her. At least
I've seen her adjust them when she starts the car.

Hey! After the saga about building small wheels and the spokes that
didn't tighten, you never did divulge your secrets of how to built
small wheels with long spokes :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 12th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default wheel building problems

On 12/11/2017 8:23 PM, John B. wrote:

Hey! After the saga about building small wheels and the spokes that
didn't tighten, you never did divulge your secrets of how to built
small wheels with long spokes :-)

It was a very frustrating process. One of my best friends used to own a
bike shop. (BTW, I have other friends who used to own bike shops.
Apparently it's a tough way to make a living.) Anyway, he has a Hozan
spoke threader. Its dies roll the threads onto spokes.

So I borrowed it. (It's still in my basement.) Using extra spokes I had,
I experimenting with extending spoke threads a few millimeters, which I
figured was all I needed. But I failed again and again, probably many
more than 20 tries. I played endlessly with the depth adjustment of the
threads. I tried cutting spokes short and starting on the unthreaded
portion of the spokes. What I found time after time was a nipple would
thread on only about 6 to 8 mm, then bind. I tried several types of
nipples, and starting from either end of the nipples. No dice.

Looking with super-close-up goggles, then with a small microscope, it
seemed that the thread form was not symmetrical, not truly perpendicular
to the axis of the spoke. The threads sort of leaned one way, so to
speak - but I don't really know if that was the problem. My friend lent
me another head for the tool but it did no better. I did trials cranking
the thread roller by hand, and many more using an electric drill to do
the trials more rapidly. I lubricated using ordinary oil, then cutting
fluid. Nothing worked.

So I gave up on the proper solution, and went with a kludge. I
counterbored the original nipples about 2 mm, and also slid thin washers
onto the nipples for a belt and suspenders approach. The wheel tensioned
up fine, straight and true. Since the spoke ends are essentially even
with the "top" surface of the nipple, the original error was probably no
more than a millimeter, whatever caused it. I still suspect a slightly
undersized rim.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 17, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 20:55:55 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I had never seen a Hozan threader although looking on the net it seems
pretty common device. I did some looking on Amazon came across the
cutting head listed separately.
https://tinyurl.com/y8r7sars

Looking at the enlarged view it doesn't look like a very precise
device. Note the angle of the bottom roller versus the angle (as well
as you can see) of the other two.

I had some spokes cut and re-threaded in Singapore a couple of years
ago and I think that "those guys" used a machine that they got from
one of the spoke companies.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 12th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

My experience with the Cyclo and Hozan is the same as
Frank's - inadequate[1]. Phil Wood rolling heads are better
made[2] and in a massively overbuilt fixture so thread
quality is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDer5HJpbHA

skip to 0:55

Precision setup plates allow 12, 13, 14 or 15 gauge spokes.

[1] I suspect that this design might be OK for plain carbon
steel spokes but moving stainless takes more push than these
tools offer.

[2] And reversible! After about 30 years, just flip them over.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 12th 17, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

They're on sale. Buy two! https://americancycle.com/product/ph...chine-4292.htm

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 13th 17, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

That was the tool that the "guys in Singapore" used when they made my
spokes. It was 18 and 18 rear wheel spokes and one guy was cranking
the machine and the other guy was telling me about how he had just
"rebuilt" the Huffy Super Sport from some rusty bits to something that
looked like it was sitting on the sales shop floor back in
1960-something. Correct color scheme, decals, everything.

The spoke maker finished long before the Huffy story was finished.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 14th 17, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

--
JS

oops forgot to answer questions.
The ray trace is from design software called Zemax.
Every other ray trace has some red center. This beam is so even that it has early no red anywhere.

The Nasa Lunar Resource Prospector development unit has a few Oculus mounted on it in a layout that resulted from trial and error til we made a light field with virtually no variation in the region the robot "sees". The light field dimensions aren't public info so can't say, but you can probably make a rough guess from the picture.
The new Roverscape indoor area with synthetic lunar "soil" and "moonrocks" is mores secure than they can get me a clearance for. Latest update is they're moving ahead with their algorithms based on how my lights light up the region for the vehicle's cameras.
Maybe once this baby sends back the first pics of the Dark Side (small south polar region) of the moon, an aerospace giant will buy up my patent and I'll finally get to cash in instead of scraping away with a flashlight and bike light industry that doesn't like new guys or technology that would make them change their tooling and infrastructure.
Old December 15th 17, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 14/12/17 17:04, Oculus Lights wrote:
[...]

You could try to reply to the message where I asked these questions.

A ray trace projected on to a surface perpendicular to the light source
is not representative of how the light will be used in the real world.
Hence, your picture is of no practical use.

--
JS
Old December 15th 17, 11:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

James wrote:
On 14/12/17 17:04, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

--
JS

oops forgot to answer questions.

Don't worry, we understand you have been really busy presenting your
concepts to Elon Musk and signing preliminary deals with Koito, Valeo, the
PRCian space agency, and a very substantial, but undisclosed number
industrial giants from extraterrestrial alien civilizations.

You could try to reply to the message where I asked these questions.

Regarding long-sought answers, someone simply took apart his flashlight and
exposed the highly unremarkable "optical concept" behind the hype:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171213/4f0cc1728c44b591d96d4cb59b0c591d.jpg

Just in case any of you missed the latest act:
http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/oculus-lights-1047728-post13456140.html#post13456140

Genius PR! Hey, investors, come back, don't run, you don't understand, this
truly was another epic publicity stunt!
A ray trace projected on to a surface perpendicular to the light source
is not representative of how the light will be used in the real world.
Hence, your picture is of no practical use.

Well, if his goal is to ride into a wall, it's a perfectly reasonable beam.
Gotta be careful though, no red spots permitted on the wall!

--
"the judge called Barry the most condescending person he'd ever encountered
in his judicial career!"
Old December 16th 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 15/12/17 21:58, Sepp Ruf wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

ROTFL. That discussion thread was a hilarious read. Hats off to you
Sepp for finding it.

--
JS

The last headlight you will ever need somebody[_2_] Techniques 115 April 28th 14 02:12 AM
Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 08:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM