quick release disc brake wheel security issue

Old October 26th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default quick release disc brake wheel security issue

Hi,
Are there any locks made for disc brake bikes?
I know about long cables for accessories but I just had a bike stolen
and am more protective of my brand new bike with disc brakes.
I intend on buying Kryptonite's Evolution STD because it is available
but what else can one do without being too much of an anvil to carry
around?

thanks for your concern

Old October 26th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Burke Gilman

wrote:
Hi,
Are there any locks made for disc brake bikes?
I know about long cables for accessories but I just had a bike stolen
and am more protective of my brand new bike with disc brakes.
I intend on buying Kryptonite's Evolution STD because it is available
but what else can one do without being too much of an anvil to carry
around?

thanks for your concern

You are correct, cables are the easiest lock to defeat. When how this
is so was first explained to me I was almost embarrased to have been
using a cable lock for years. Anyway, from my experience with owning a
roadbike equipped with disc brakes, I advise you sell the bike.

However, because a thief may be just as gullible when it comes to the
*bling-bling* factor as you and I have been, the bike may be an
attractive target. Consequently, you may not have to bother selling it.
Just park it in a high-crime area for a while and let your problems be
gone.

Meanwhile, be shopping for a roadbike equipped with quality caliper rim
brakes (long reach is an option) and maybe consider using Pitlock
skewers: http://www.urbanbiketech.com/

-bg

Old October 26th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Burke Gilman wrote:

You are correct, cables are the easiest lock to defeat. When how this
is so was first explained to me I was almost embarrased to have been
using a cable lock for years. Anyway, from my experience with owning a
roadbike equipped with disc brakes, I advise you sell the bike.

Why are cables so easy to defeat? I use them for both motorcycles and
bicycles so I"m very interested to hear if I'm being silly.

-paul
Old October 27th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:32:15 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Burke Gilman wrote:

You are correct, cables are the easiest lock to defeat. When how this
is so was first explained to me I was almost embarrased to have been
using a cable lock for years. Anyway, from my experience with owning a
roadbike equipped with disc brakes, I advise you sell the bike.

Why are cables so easy to defeat? I use them for both motorcycles and
bicycles so I"m very interested to hear if I'm being silly.

-paul

Dear Paul,

The wire of a flexible cable can't be hardened as much as a solid,
unbending chunk of metal, so bolt cutters go right through it:

"Simple cable locks, however, are only sufficient for use in low-risk
areas. Even the largest diameter unprotected cable can be quickly cut
with bolt cutters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_lock

A chain is flexible, but the links are not, so they can be hardened.

Any lock is better than none.

Here's a rough-and-ready test by a curious bicyclist:

http://www.slate.com/id/2140083

His hacksaw and bolt cutters made short work of the cable locks, but
the cable locks would obviously would stop the casual thief just
looking for something that isn't red hot or nailed down.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 27th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Burke Gilman

Paul Cassel wrote:
Why are cables so easy to defeat? I use them for both motorcycles and
bicycles so I"m very interested to hear if I'm being silly.

-paul

I asked the same question. If you've ever used Park Tool # CN-10 to
size cable housing for your bike, then you can start blushing
immediately as you begin your shopping spree for replacement security.
I recommend U-locks and hardened chains, selection and weight depending
on the application. -bg

Old October 27th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
nash

thanks for the pitlock idea but I think I will keep the bike. It is less
than 2 weeks old. I have a road bike which will not take fenders so I need
the GT for store runs. Thanks
I keep both inside my place so the only catch is parking it at grocery
stores which do not let you in since leaving it outside is plain silly. I
had my bike vandalized every time I went to this one store and finally the
manager let me lock up inside the store.
So whether it is for money or demented fun the cyclist loses no matter what
the security.
I might get 2 Evolutions for the task though.

oups.com...

Old October 27th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

i also use 2 locks

1. U Lock the rear tire & frame [to a post, or bike rack]

2. chain lock the front tire, to the frame only [had my front tire
stolen once]

waterboy