Australia

Old February 11th 07, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
craig

Default Australia

Guys i'm from the uk and have been in aus for the past few years where
i discovered cycling.

im coming home next year back to cardiff and was wondering what cycing
in the uk is like, weather wise etc and traffic.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks craig

ps heres some pics of the sunday ride i do hope you enjoy

http://craigspics.info/thumbnails.php?album=12

Old February 12th 07, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,aus.bicycle
raisethe

On 11 Feb, 22:55, "craig" wrote:
Guys i'm from the uk and have been in aus for the past few years where
i discovered cycling.

im coming home next year back to cardiff and was wondering what cycing
in the uk is like, weather wise etc and traffic.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks craig

Well...

You won't have to ride in the road shoulder through all the crud and
smashed beer bottles that have been chucked out of car windows by
hoons.

The main streets through towns will not have very narrow cycle lanes
that run alongside parked cars.

There will be plenty of bends which greatly add to the pleasure (and
danger) of cycling.

There will be a much greater density of traffic on both town and
country roads than what you are used to, and a greater percentage of
these will use their vehicle as weapons to intimidate you.

The countryside will be lush and green rather than bleached by
drought.

Everyone you meet won't ask you if you've seen the cricket and start
smirking (:~(

Public transport is vastly inferior to that in Victoria.

You will never find it too hot to cycle, but often too cold and wet.

You won't have to wear one of those bloody stupid h****ts.

You won't see as many fellow cyclists, and those you do will not be as
friendly.

Hope that helps!

Old February 12th 07, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,aus.bicycle

....Also, overe here the cycle paths are sprinkled with broken glass on
a regular basis and cycle lanes on the road are there for cars to use
when the road narrows due to parked cars on the opposite side!

However, on the good side, alot of cyclists over here say hello to
each other when they pass, especially at night or on a very wet day.
I'm not sure ifthey do that in Oz or not, but it is a nice touch.

Old February 12th 07, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,aus.bicycle
Andy Leighton

On 11 Feb 2007 16:15:02 -0800, raisethe wrote:
You will never find it too hot to cycle, but often too cold and wet.

Too cold or wet? Surely that is just a matter of getting the right
clothing. Which the OP might not have as he is returning from Australia.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old February 12th 07, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
citizen142

I don't know when you left Cardiff but if it was more than 3 months
ago you will not recognise the centre - well three months is a bit
tongue in cheek. There have have been extensive developments and right
now the whole of the Hayes is being pulled apart and the 'old' Cardiff
has long, long gone. Maindy Cycle track is still there.

Old February 12th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

craig wrote:

Guys i'm from the uk and have been in aus for the past few years where
i discovered cycling.

im coming home next year back to cardiff and was wondering what cycing
in the uk is like, weather wise etc and traffic.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks craig

ps heres some pics of the sunday ride i do hope you enjoy

http://craigspics.info/thumbnails.php?album=12

cardiff can get fairly conjested. inspite of it's size as it's sea side
so almost all the traffic moves one way. not cycled in cardiff but a
city i've driven though many times, i would think that it would be fine
in most part, weather will be much colder though being on the coast will
aleaviate that.

if you like mountain bikes. the breacon beacons are not far. and
compared to the rest of uk wales is fairly untroubled by traffic.

roger
Old February 12th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,aus.bicycle
Danny Colyer

raisethe wrote:
You will never find it too hot to cycle, but often too cold and wet.

That comment reminds me of the day early last July when, rather than
completing my planned 90 mile loop, I got half way and then headed
straight for home because, really, it was too hot to cycle. I rode 63
miles and drank 8 litres.

If it had been a little cooler that would have been a perfect day for a
ride. Apparently the English football team was playing in a world cup
match, resulting in beautifully clear roads.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/

Australia Got It Right [email protected] Mountain Biking 3 August 15th 06 12:42 AM
BR Australia day? Derek Australia 19 January 27th 06 01:30 AM
places to buy in australia (or to ship to australia) janey Unicycling 12 December 31st 05 10:30 AM
Australia [email protected] Techniques 10 April 9th 05 02:34 PM
Across Australia Sirion Australia 1 August 25th 04 12:57 AM