So Who's Gonna See "The Flying Scotsman"??

Old May 2nd 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Luke

Default So Who's Gonna See "The Flying Scotsman"??

In article om, Ozark
Bicycle wrote:

On May 2, 2:13 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article .com,
" writes:

obree obree? now where have i herd this name?

Obree One Kenobee.

It's a farce, Luke.

Who is my father?

Luke
Old May 2nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Michael Press

In article ,
John Everett wrote:

On 1 May 2007 17:47:14 -0700, Prisoner at War
wrote:

Based on a true story, etc. -- the movie trailer makes it sound like
there's a bit of technical stuff involved, too! I can't stand how
they just have to have a "faithful girlfriend angle" in order to draw
in the couples, but who knows, maybe this obsessive biker really did
have one in real life.

Lately you can't tap in to cycling.tv without having this trailer
shoved down your throat. :-(

So who's gonna see this flick? About time they had another bicycle
movie. I'm still waiting for one about NYC messengers! Preferably
some kinda Hitchcock sorta thriller (mysterious package which has
unnamed men in suits chasing our hero who dodges rush hour
traffic).

Someting small enough to fit into a messenger bag instead of the trunk
of a '64 Malibu? ;-)

You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box
do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious
nonsense. Everybody could stand a hundred chest X-rays a year.
They ought to have them, too. When they canceled the project it
almost did me in. One day my mind was full to bursting. The next
day--nothing. Swept away. But I'll show them. I had a lobotomy in
the end.

--
Michael Press
Old May 2nd 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films

On Wed, 02 May 2007 20:50:59 GMT, "nash"
wrote:

Sam Clemens rocks

Dear Nash,

Bierce knew Twain as a reporter on the Alta newspaper in California
before Twain left for Hawaii and then went to the East Coast, wrote
"The Innocents Abroad" about his voyage to the Holy Land, became a
famous lecturer, and married the daughter of a wealthy citizen of
Buffalo, New York.

Here are three comments from Bierce in 1870 concerning his friend
Twain, whose success Bierce envied, whose laziness as a reporter
Bierce deplored, whose drinking Bierce often outdid, and whose happy
marriage and inheritance Bierce could only dream of.

The ghoulish chaffing was a hallmark of California journalism.

"Mark Twain, who, whenever he has been long enough sober to permit an
estimate, has been uniformly found to bear a spotless character, has
got married. It was not the act of a desperate man--it was not
committed while laboring under temporary insanity; his insanity is not
of that type, nor does he ever labor--it was the cool, methodical,
cumulative culmination of human nature, working in the breast of an
orphan hankering for some one with a fortune to love--some one with a
bank account to caress. For years he has felt this matrimony coming
on. Ever since he left California there has been an undertone of
despair running through all his letters like the subdued wail of a pig
beneath a washtub. He felt that he was going, that no earthly power
could save him, but as a concession to his weeping publishers he tried
a change of climage by putting on a linen coat and writing letters
from the West Indies. Then he tried rhubarb, and during his latter
months was almost constantly under the influence of this powerful
drug. But rhubarb, while it may give a fitful glitter to the eye and a
decitful ruddiness to the gills, cannot long delay the pangs of
approaching marriage. Rhubarb was not what Mark wanted. Well, that
genial spirit has passed away; that long, bright smile will no more
greet the early bar-keeper, nor the old familiar "chalk it down"
delight his ear. Poor Mark! he was a good scheme, but he couldn't be
made to work."

--News Letter, Feb. 19 1870

"It is announced that Mark Twain, being above want, will lecutre no
more. We didn't think that of Mark; we supposed that after marrying a
rich girl he would have decency enough to make a show of working for a
year or two anyhow. But it seems that his native laziness has wrecked
his finer feeling, and he has abandoned himself to his natural vice
with the stolid indifference of a pig at his ablutions. We have our
own private opinion of a man who will do this kind of thing; we regard
him as an abandoned wretch. We should like to be abandoned in that
way."

--News Letter, June 18, 1870

"Mark Twain's father-in-law is dead, and has left that youth's wife a
quarter of a million dollars. At the time of Mark's marriage, a few
months since, we expressed some doubt as to the propriety of the
transaction. That doubt has been removed by death."

--News Letter, Aug. 27, 1870

Eight years later, Bierce commented in another California newspaper
about Twain's literary faux pas, a speech at a banquet honoring
Longfellow, Emerson, and Whittier, in which Twain claimed to have met
a California miner who wanted nothing to do with literary giants like
Twain because he'd just hosted a rowdy card game for three
quote-spouting drunks who claimed to be the trio of great poets:

"Mark Twain's Boston speech, in which the great humorist's coltish
imagination represented Longfellow, Emerson, and Whittier engaged at a
game of cards in the cabin of a California miner, is said to have so
wrought upong the feelings of 'the best literary' society' in that
city that the daring joker is in danger of lynching. I hope they won't
lynch him; it would be irregular and illegal, however roughly just and
publicly beneficial. Besides, it would rob many a worthy sheriff of an
honorable ambition by dispeliing the most bright and beautiful hope of
his life."

--Argonaut, Jan. 5, 1878

Note that Bierce calls Twain a great humorist.

Here's the Twain speech that outraged some silly literary folk:

http://www.twainquotes.com/18771220.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 3rd 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films
[email protected][_2_]

what does bierce and twain to do with obree?
what does bierce and twain to do with obree?
what does bierce and twain to do with obree?
manic obsessions?
twain lost the money on a bad bet backing a printing machine.
as for:
"whose success Bierce envied, whose laziness as a reporter
Bierce deplored, whose drinking Bierce often outdid, and whose happy
marriage and inheritance Bierce could only dream of." - C.Fogel

Bierce's connection to our Civil War is more connection than Twain
concieved.
A longer Bierce short story is over the top.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
[...]
Note that Bierce calls Twain a great humorist.

Here's the Twain speech that outraged some silly literary folk:

http://www.twainquotes.com/18771220.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Mark Twain along with Will Rogers are quintessential 19th century men.
Neither would do well today. In fact, whenever I encounter either of them on
the media (re-creations of their personalities) I am bored beyond belief.

I have always hated their yokel type of humor. How Twain and Rogers ever
made a living off it is one for the ages to ponder. Let the dead bury the
dead and do not bother us any more with your Mark Twain crapola.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old May 3rd 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films
[email protected][_2_]

language, life, perceptions of life, writing of life connect within
the same generation, more or less as duh every one is more or less on
the same wave length without trying, trying one's intelligence.
leapfrogging generations quoting style meant as popular styles, not
scientific or strict journalism to move away from 'objectivity' a bit,
without excercising a template bridging the different life
experience's
probabbbly means you didn't get the point meant in 1875.
if the film works to get you into obree's shoes then its a success.
in 1875, every scratch in a horse drawn environment might bring death
from infection...

Old May 3rd 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films
Jay Beattie

"nash" wrote in message
Sam Clemens rocks

Dude, he used the "N" word, and he wasn't rapp'n. -- Jay "PC" Beattie.

Old May 3rd 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.arts.movies.current-films
nash

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:huCdndkaXPROsKTbnZ2dnUVZ_r2onZ2d@prairiewave. com...

wrote in message
[...]
Note that Bierce calls Twain a great humorist.

Here's the Twain speech that outraged some silly literary folk:

http://www.twainquotes.com/18771220.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Mark Twain along with Will Rogers are quintessential 19th century men.
Neither would do well today. In fact, whenever I encounter either of them
on the media (re-creations of their personalities) I am bored beyond
belief.

I have always hated their yokel type of humor. How Twain and Rogers ever
made a living off it is one for the ages to ponder. Let the dead bury the
dead and do not bother us any more with your Mark Twain crapola.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

I thought you were dead and buried Dolan lol
go away

So Who's Gonna See "The Flying Scotsman"?? Prisoner at War General 51 May 4th 07 09:50 PM
So Who's Gonna See "The Flying Scotsman"?? Prisoner at War Techniques 63 May 4th 07 09:50 PM
The Flying Scotsman Don Whybrow UK 1 October 1st 06 04:18 PM
Flying Scotsman davek UK 7 July 14th 06 02:32 AM
First ride, gonna start "training" [email protected] Techniques 20 April 18th 06 07:06 PM