The Gerry Attrick bike: Mixte or Bent?

Old February 1st 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Andre Jute

Default The Gerry Attrick bike: Mixte or Bent?

wrote:
"(Don't get me wrong dept.): If you haven't "heard" me say before,
"there's a bent in everyone's future" .... But, at 58-1/2 (three
quarters, actually), with a bad back, arthritis in the hands, and a
difficulty with one of the saddle contact areas (doing much better,
thanks), I'm not there yet."

In considering ordering a custom stainless frame to see me out, I
thought of the top tube and the obstruction it might be in time, when
after the nth hip replacement I can no longer swing my leg over the
saddle. Or of course, leglifting might be become non-PC and outlawed,
and bicyclists will be hunted through the streets with smokers.

I looked into recumbents and even bought one to try and hated it; it
lasted a week before I sold it on. It reminded me of driving to work
in the city in a Porsche, eyeing the nuts holding on bus wheels --from
below the hub. For me a recumbent seemed too much like assisted
suicide by truck.

Then I thought of the opa/oma Dutch bikes, which are low stepthrough
styles for ladies of a certain age and uncertain future. That was just
too depressing. (Chalo is looking for one...)

Then a compromise solution struck me: the Mixte. the style has a
downtube but the seattube is angled down parallel, or almost, with the
downtube. Or in the classic Mixte application there are two thin tubes
from the head tube parallel or almost to the down tube and running all
the way back past the sides of the seat tube to the junction of the
chain- and seat-stays. You can still lift your foot through the gap
reasonably easily and the bike will be reasonably stiff, or at least
stiffer than those U shaped things...

Of course there is no point in ordering a custom bike and having it
fillet-brazed. It has to be lugged, and preferably with fancy lugs
which can be painted a contrasting colour or at least lined with my
house colours of maroon and yellow.

The difficulty of finding stainless lugs for a Mixte is holding up the
project.

The other difficulties that drive people to bents are easily solved: a
seat rather than a saddle, geometry to put your feet on the ground (if
you/re too old for legover, you're old enough to want to sit upright,
right?), an automatic gearbox to keep pedalling effort in the most
efficient range, front suspension to keep the inequalities of the road
out of arthritic fingers (in fact the only arthritis I have was caused
by a bike falling on my little finger a few months ago; when I catch
up on the driver of the car that caused the accident he'll be in pain
for very long time), a suspended seatpost to keep piles comfortable,
and so on. I've even got adaptive front suspension -- electronically
set to hard when you set off, softer riding at speed on the level,
hard to conserve energy when pedalling uphill -- in the Shimano Cyber
Nexus groupset I bought for this Gerry Attrick bike.

Of course, planning such a bike keeps one young, thus defeating or at
least delaying the purpose.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html
Old February 1st 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Please take a look at the crank forward (CF) bicycle RANS offers and
tell us what you think: http://www.ransbikes.com/. These CF bicycles
have something more like a real seat than a conventional upright bicycle
saddle, a geometry that allows the rider to put both feet on the ground
when seated, and a step-over height mid-way between a diamond frame and
a woman's step-through city bicycle.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth
Old February 1st 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Andre Jute

On Feb 1, 1:32*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Tom, I'll get back to you when I've had a think. I saw those bikes the
other day when someone posted the same URL and for me they raised more
questions than answers, and a second look doesn't bring me any closer
to an opinion except that they appear pricey considering that for
under a grand in Europe you can buy a really good bike from a
distinguished maker. But that's more of a delaying tactic than a
useful observation: if the RANS bikes truly have something special,
the price is irrelevant. -- Andre Jute

Old February 1st 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
On Feb 1, 1:32 am, Tom Sherman
[...]

I believe I was "someone".

Be aware that the RANS CF bicycles are made in Hays, Kansas by welders
who are generally also certified to do aerospace work (RANS also builds
airplanes). They also have some parts that are not "off the shelf". Both
these factors raise prices.

In the recumbent market, RANS would be considered a "distinguished"
manufacturer.

Old February 1st 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ozark Bicycle

On Jan 31, 7:32*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Do you have any first hand experience with these? They look to be an
interesting design and I see they (RANS) are bringing a new frame for
taller riders to market.

Old February 1st 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:32 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
wrote:
[...]

No, but I am tempted to try one of the RANS CF bicycles. They might well
be the best solution for the rider who does not find either a
traditional road bicycle or a recumbent to fit his/her needs that well.
The CF will likely be slower than the road bicycle but considerably more
comfortable. The recumbent offers comfort and speed advantages over the
CF bicycle, but is less user friendly in several ways.

Old February 1st 08, 09:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Andre Jute wrote:

In considering ordering a custom stainless frame to see me out, I
thought of the top tube and the obstruction it might be in time, when
after the nth hip replacement I can no longer swing my leg over the
saddle. Or of course, leglifting might be become non-PC and outlawed,
and bicyclists will be hunted through the streets with smokers.

Plenty of high performance bikes with low stepovers. The Moulton
springs to mind as an obvious one, look at http://www.tsr.uk.com/ for
the cheaper ones, http://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/ for the more expensive
(the Bridgedale isn't cheap, but ,much cheaper than the others listed
there).

Also gives you a good road-going suspension to help with those other
joint grumbles.

I looked into recumbents and even bought one to try and hated it; it
lasted a week before I sold it on. It reminded me of driving to work
in the city in a Porsche, eyeing the nuts holding on bus wheels --from
below the hub. For me a recumbent seemed too much like assisted
suicide by truck.

"Recumbents" covers a lot of bases: mine has the seat height at the same
height as a conventional car so I'm not eyeing wheel nuts face to face,
so if being too low was a problem, maybe look at a higher one...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 1st 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ozark Bicycle

On Jan 31, 10:35*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:32 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
wrote:
[...]

If you do, I would be interested in your impressions.

They might well
be the best solution for the rider who does not find either a
traditional road bicycle or a recumbent to fit his/her needs that well.

I'm looking at them from the "something different" perspective. I've
five DF bikes in my mini-fleet and don't see what another would bring
to the party. The CF design is just enough "different" to be of
interrest.

The CF will likely be slower than the road bicycle but considerably more
comfortable.

Hmmm.....I do not find my "road bicycles" at all uncomfortable. And I
wouldn't expect a CF to be "fast", I have others for that purpose.

The recumbent offers comfort and speed advantages over the
CF bicycle, but is less user friendly in several ways.

Recumbents are totally out of the question for me. Sorry.

Old February 1st 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Andre Jute wrote:

Then I thought of the opa/oma Dutch bikes, which are low stepthrough
styles for ladies of a certain age and uncertain future. That was just
too depressing. (Chalo is looking for one...)

For what it's worth, opafietsen have top tubes. They have higher
standover than any up-to-date bike frame of equivalent size, in
fact.

http://www.workcycles.com/workbike/b...a-bicycle.html

Here's the size that interests me:
http://www.workcycles.com/workbike/b...e-gt-70cm.html

You might have a point, though, about the depressing nature of
traditional Dutch bikes:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/1589947928

Chalo
Old February 1st 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Andre Jute

Peter Clinch wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

In considering ordering a custom stainless frame to see me out, I
thought of the top tube and the obstruction it might be in time, when
after the nth hip replacement I can no longer swing my leg over the
saddle. Or of course, leglifting might be become non-PC and outlawed,
and bicyclists will be hunted through the streets with smokers.

Plenty of high performance bikes with low stepovers.

My interest isn't in high performance bikes even now that I'm whole
and and hale and hearty. One suspects that with advancing years one's
interest will focus even more closely on comfort and utility.

The Moulton
springs to mind as an obvious one, look at http://www.tsr.uk.com/ for
the cheaper ones, http://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/ for the more expensive
(the Bridgedale isn't cheap, but ,much cheaper than the others listed
there).

I spoke to Dr Moulton once for a book of mine, unfortunately not about
his own work (my editor though him "too rarified") but briefly to get
something quotable about Sir Alec Issigonnis. Moulton is one of my
heroes, a true lateral thinker of stupendous versatility. But most of
his bikes I wouldn't spend my own money on; I have too much spaceframe
experience to like bunches of little tubes -- call it a personal
prejudice, if you like. I'm a big beam man. Your library has or can
get a copy of my book Designing and Constructing Special Cars; check
out the substantial chasses of my own cars.

Furthermore, I live in a country where the roads are (were until
recently, actually) so bad that a bicyclist on the way home from the
pub falling into a pothole and drowning was a matter of national
political outrage rather than a cruel joke. Small wheels just won't
do.

Also gives you a good road-going suspension to help with those other
joint grumbles.

I looked into recumbents and even bought one to try and hated it; it
lasted a week before I sold it on. It reminded me of driving to work
in the city in a Porsche, eyeing the nuts holding on bus wheels --from
below the hub. For me a recumbent seemed too much like assisted
suicide by truck.

"Recumbents" covers a lot of bases: mine has the seat height at the same
height as a conventional car so I'm not eyeing wheel nuts face to face,
so if being too low was a problem, maybe look at a higher one...

Recumbents have other serious problems. I was never a bike racer, so I
never learned to pull on the upstroke and I'm not planning on learning
now. Cleats and shoecages and straps are a nuisance I don't need. I
get off my bike and walk up hills or into the library, so I just wear
fairly stiffsoled street shoes. The thing I learned about recumbents
in those half-dozen rides is encapsulated in something truly shiver-
making that Tom Sherman said when he mentioned riders "trained" for
riding recumbents. I don't fancy retraining for cycling, an activity I
consider should be fun rather than a socially acceptable form of sado-
masochism.

Thanks for sharing your expertise, Pete.

Pete.

Andre Jute
Man is an upright ape for compelling reasons