Drivers "scared" by so many cyclists on a Sunday

Old October 20th 15, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Drivers "scared" by so many cyclists on a Sunday

On 20/10/2015 16:08, Alycidon wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 October 2015 11:24:17 UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

"I am not allowed out of my front door. It's a cul-de-sac. I can't go
anywhere by car," says Mr Huggins, who lives in Esher and runs a
clay-pigeon-shooting school at weekends."

Huggins is a 70 year old NIMBY who started his "petition" way back on 31JUL13 in a futile attempt to stop the RideLondon-Surrey cycling event.

So far, after TWO YEARS AND THREE MONTHS, his "petition" has reached the dizzying heights of 3724 - still 1276 short of his target of 5000.

The text is full of errors and "sky falling in" paranoia.

https://www.change.org/p/surrey-coun...share_petition

And people who:

(a) aren't as clever as Mason thinks he is and who

(b) may have difficulty in stating their position clearly, with all the
arguments correctly marshaled, clearly have no rights.

Old October 20th 15, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon wrote:

QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling
"overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He
said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the
roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

It seems to me that they lack confidence in their ability to drive
safely and legally under certain conditions. When they're worried by
volume or type of traffic all they have to do is get off and push.
;-)

Old October 20th 15, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 00:50:08 +0100
Bod wrote:

On 20/10/2015 07:32, Alycidon wrote:

They will happily sit in that lot all day long, just so long as
they see no cyclists involved.

Who do not pump out any fumes.

Speak for yourself. ;-)

Old October 20th 15, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Alycidon wrote:

QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling
"overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He
said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the
roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

It seems to me that they lack confidence in their ability to drive
safely and legally under certain conditions. When they're worried by
volume or type of traffic all they have to do is get off and push.
;-)

Some of the comments under "Reasons for signing" are jaw droppingly ignorant and it's frightening to think that people like that have a driving licence.

QUOTE:

"I have stopped walking my dog in the beautiful hills around Cranleigh and find the lanes positively terrifying to drive."

Why are they "terrifying" when you are in a tin box?

"The bike riders come flying down the lanes, often 3 or 4 abreast at great speed, alternatively, they ride in long lines making it impossible to pass them."

If they are travelling at "great speed" what sort of speed do you have to do in order to pass safely? Warp factor 10?

https://www.change.org/p/surrey-coun...share_petition
Old October 20th 15, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Alycidon wrote:

[...]

Presumably because like most people, the poster wants at all costs to
avoid a collision.

There doesn't even have to be a threat of injury (let alone death) to
make increased risk of a collision unpalatable and even frightening,
particularly for people of limited means for whom car insurance is
marginally affordable.

"The bike riders come flying down the lanes, often 3 or 4 abreast at great speed, alternatively, they ride in long lines making it impossible to pass them."

If they are travelling at "great speed" what sort of speed do you have to do in order to pass safely? Warp factor 10?

I'll give you a hint.

Look up the meaning of the word "alternatively".

That means search for it in a dictionary. It'll be somewhere near the
beginning.

https://www.change.org/p/surrey-coun...share_petition

Old October 20th 15, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 11:37:05 +0100
David Hume wrote:

"TMS320" writes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...on-wheels.html

"I am not allowed out of my front door. It's a cul-de-sac. I can't
go anywhere by car," says Mr Huggins, who lives in Esher and runs a
clay-pigeon-shooting school at weekends."

"But these roads are dangerous, with 60mph speed limits and blind
corners. I’m terrified there’s going to be an accident.”

Haha. How could you drive a car if you were terrified of accidents?

What he means is he likes to drive too fast for road or traffic
conditions, so he can't stop within the distance he can see to be
clear, which is one of the basic precepts of safe driving.
Old October 20th 15, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:58:09 +0100
Bod wrote:

On 19/10/2015 17:54, Alycidon wrote:
On Monday, 19 October 2015 17:43:50 UTC+1, Bod wrote:

Heaven to me is casual rides on warm summer mornings at 5.am.
I see fields of rabbits/ deer/ horses etc and no one else around
save for the odd cyclist or walker doing the same.
Ya canny whackit.

I used to cycle to work at 0500 in summer and it was great on the
old rail lines, but at the same time in February into a force 9
gale/sleet off the North Sea it was fairly grim.

I can imagine. Rough with the smooth though eh!

When you're fit and used to cycling in all weathers then wind and rain
can be just as good as sunshine and fluffy clouds, only in a different
way.

Old October 20th 15, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Bod wrote:

On 19/10/2015 17:54, Alycidon wrote:
On Monday, 19 October 2015 17:43:50 UTC+1, Bod wrote:

Heaven to me is casual rides on warm summer mornings at 5.am.
I see fields of rabbits/ deer/ horses etc and no one else around
save for the odd cyclist or walker doing the same.
Ya canny whackit.

I used to cycle to work at 0500 in summer and it was great on the
old rail lines, but at the same time in February into a force 9
gale/sleet off the North Sea it was fairly grim.

I can imagine. Rough with the smooth though eh!

When you're fit and used to cycling in all weathers then wind and rain
can be just as good as sunshine and fluffy clouds, only in a different
way.

True - on some mornings with the right music it was positively awe inspiring at times.

Old October 20th 15, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

Bod wrote:

On 19/10/2015 17:54, Alycidon wrote:
On Monday, 19 October 2015 17:43:50 UTC+1, Bod wrote:

Heaven to me is casual rides on warm summer mornings at 5.am.
I see fields of rabbits/ deer/ horses etc and no one else around
save for the odd cyclist or walker doing the same.
Ya canny whackit.

I used to cycle to work at 0500 in summer and it was great on the
old rail lines, but at the same time in February into a force 9
gale/sleet off the North Sea it was fairly grim.

I can imagine. Rough with the smooth though eh!

When you're fit and used to cycling in all weathers then wind and rain
can be just as good as sunshine and fluffy clouds, only in a different
way.

True - on some mornings with the right music it was positively awe inspiring at times.

To the simple minded.....
Old October 20th 15, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 20/10/2015 00:50, Bod wrote:
On 20/10/2015 07:32, Alycidon wrote:
On Monday, 19 October 2015 23:23:07 UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
The "disruption" that some
people in Surrey complain about is a matter of opinion. (It's highly
unlikely that any bicycle riders think that a jaunt along the A3 is an
entertaining way to pass the time.) We were in that area today and
compared
to the disruption we actually encountered on secondary roads, the
effect of
a group of cyclists doing 15mph would have been inconsequential.

Odd that these moaners will tolerate any DAILY disruption to their
journeys on the M25 et al JUST so long as it is caused by a multitude
of single people in tin boxes pumping out deadly fumes.

They will happily sit in that lot all day long, just so long as they
see no cyclists involved.

Who do not pump out any fumes.

Only out of their arses.