183.9mph

Old September 19th 18, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 183.9mph

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 10:59:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 4:09:26 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
A new world record:

https://www.bikeworldnews.com/2018/0...-speed-record/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2328...-speed-record/

Story in Bicycling. And video. She is 45. Rode a 7 foot long mountain bike with 17" motorcycle wheels. Tethered up to 100+ mph before starting to pedal. 488 gear inches is what she "pedaled".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFTqHbgsKs

Another video from Wall Street Journal??? Says they released the tether at 163 mph. So she pedaled from 163 up to 184 mph. Can't understand why they didn't just drive up to 200 mph before releasing the tether. Then say she rode 200 mph!!!!
Old September 19th 18, 11:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 10:09:26 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
A new world record:

https://www.bikeworldnews.com/2018/0...-speed-record/

Congratulations to Denise Mueller-Korenek and her team.

Andre Jute
101.46kph
Old September 19th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 5:56:28 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/18/2018 7:44 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:34:46 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Snipped

Yes and Murphy cheated death that day, being pulled up into
the train car at he very last second. We all grew up with
Jose Meiffret's adventures:
http://capovelo.com/historic-footage...d-record-1952/

and of course John Howard's 1980s attempts. But this, I
think, is truly a step beyond. Hats off to her!

Interesting that #1 the front fork rake is reversed from what we're used to and #2 the front tire is off the rim after the crash. Was it the front tire coming off the rim that caused that crash?

Right, speed record bikes have very different geometry - the
very last thing you want is snappy handling.

I don't know about the tire but tires/tubes/valves are a
real problem as we don't have 'speed rated' products for our
wheels as racing cars and motorcycles enjoy.

John Howard's Schrader valve pins depressed at some high
RPM, the solution being a classic metal valve cap with
rubber liner.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-record-of-15/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

We were just talking about that yesterday. I think that Goodyear makes speed record tires for most records. I understand that Goodyear is about to start making normal bicycle tires again.
Old September 19th 18, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/19/2018 10:04 AM, wrote:
[...]

Such that "making" means buying them from the low bidder in
Asia, then yes.

Old September 19th 18, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

How is that possible? The suck back from when
the car leaves? If so, is it fair to say that
she pedaled the speed from 163 to 184 mph?
What would have happened if she didn't pedal
when they let got at 163?

let *go

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old September 19th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/19/2018 11:10 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/19/2018 10:04 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 5:56:28 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/18/2018 7:44 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:34:46 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
Snipped

Yes and Murphy cheated death that day, being pulled up into
the train car at he very last second. We all grew up with
Jose Meiffret's adventures:
http://capovelo.com/historic-footage...d-record-1952/

and of course John Howard's 1980s attempts. But this, I
think, is truly a step beyond.Â* Hats off to her!

[...]

I've seen them, in a bike shop in Akron Ohio, the home of Goodyear. But
I saw no evidence they were actually made in Akron.

However, a couple articles state that a Goodyear team in Akron developed
the rubber compounds used, which supposedly vary for the different types
of tires.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/prod...ycle-tire-line

https://www.velonews.com/2018/04/bik...s-later_462438

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 18, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 8:10:25 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/19/2018 10:04 AM, wrote:
[...]

Do you mean like most of the other tire manufacturers?
Old September 21st 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Some yes and some no.