Why Can't Mountain Bikers Read?

Old April 18th 04, 04:11 PM
Gary S.

Default Why Can't Mountain Bikers Read?

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:20:39 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

At 01:46 PM 4/17/04 -0700, Steven J. Shotz, Psy.D. wrote:

Dr. Vandeman,

I have just read a number of your web pages regarding your opinion on mountain
bikers. I am compelled to comment that I am surprised by the apparent bias and
emotionality that characterizes your writing, especially in light of your
advanced education.

You COMPLETELY missed my point, leading me to suspect that you didn't read
carefully. I never said anything like that. Intimidation of wildlife and other
trail users is NOT restricted to idiots. ALL mountain bikers, due to the
presence of bikes, intimidate wildlife and other trail users. We never know when
someone is going to come around a blind turn too fast and run into us.

Many mountain bikers are quite ecologically conscious, in part because its
consistent with their own best self-interest. A number of mountain biking
groups engage in extensive trail maintenance that benefits hikers as well. Such
maintenance addresses issues of naturally-caused trail erosion, safety, and
emergency access for hikers, equestrians, and bikers. Mountain bikers
frequently report and help repair trail hazards and other problems that help
shield land managers from liability and keep trails open.

I am not interested in trail maintenance or "keeping trails open". Neither
benefit wildlife.

Mikey's point, if you can sort it out from his typical non-standard
and confusing use of quotes, is the last line above.

He is against ALL recreational uses of any place HE perceives as
important to his only friends, the wildlife, (which includes insects,
BTW). Mountain bikers are merely his primary target, but he is happy
to pit various recreational groups against on another to achieve his
ultimate goal, the closure of all non-urban areas to humans. He is
also happy to completely ignore larger issues, like pollution,
resource, extraction, development, etc that are far more harmful to
the environment and the wildlife he claims he speaks for.

If you look further, he wants all non-native species, including
humans, removed from North and South America.

It is funny to see him accuse others of missing his points. He is not
at all capable of absorbing any tiny bit of information that does not
completely agree with his OPINIONS. Some scientist.

But Mikey doesn't really do this for the environment, but out of his
desperate need to be perceived as the leader of something relevant.

Be amused by him, or pity him, but don't waste the effort of taking
him seriously. Note the number of supporters he has here, even
counting his sock puppets.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old April 18th 04, 11:34 PM
The Ent

Gary S. wrote:

I am not interested in trail maintenance or "keeping trails open". Neither
benefit wildlife.

Mikey's point, if you can sort it out from his typical non-standard
and confusing use of quotes, is the last line above.

And even that's wacko. Among those who wish to observe moose, it's a
given that maintained trails are a great convenience to the moose, and
are frequented by the moose to the exclusion of possible alternatives.

Pete H

--
Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
It's really that simple.

Old April 19th 04, 12:50 AM
S o r n i

The Ent wrote:
Among those who wish to observe moose, it's a
given that maintained trails are a great convenience to the moose, and
are frequented by the moose to the exclusion of possible alternatives.

Squirrel likes it too.

Bill "no Bull (wink)-L" S.

Old April 19th 04, 01:41 AM
TM

"S o r n i" wrote in message
The Ent wrote:
Among those who wish to observe moose, it's a
given that maintained trails are a great convenience to the moose, and
are frequented by the moose to the exclusion of possible alternatives.

Squirrel likes it too.

How do you know squirrels like it that moose use mtn bike trails?

Bill "no Bull (wink)-L" S.

Oh, Borris and Natasha. Nevermind.

Old April 19th 04, 03:42 AM
Gary S.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:41:13 -0400, "TM" wrote:

"S o r n i" wrote in message
.. .
The Ent wrote:
Among those who wish to observe moose, it's a
given that maintained trails are a great convenience to the moose, and
are frequented by the moose to the exclusion of possible alternatives.

Squirrel likes it too.

How do you know squirrels like it that moose use mtn bike trails?

Bill "no Bull (wink)-L" S.

Oh, Borris and Natasha. Nevermind.

Da.

Flyink sqvirrel is friends of moose.

Old April 19th 04, 10:19 AM
Gary S.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:19:28 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:50:10 GMT, "S o r n i" wrote:

.So someone sends you a private e-mail (content irrelevant) and you publish
.it on Usenet without their knowledge or permission? Wonder if that violates
.your TOS, dic ( err, doc).

There's nothing private on the Internet. DUH. The best way to deal with abusive
email is to publish it for the whole world to see.

.Bill "you're just pathetic" S.

What exactly does posting these emails to various newsgroups
accomplish?

Is there even a tiny chance that doing so will cause even a single
person to agree with you?

Or is it just a way to show that you are important enough to receive
emails?

Old April 22nd 04, 06:14 PM
HardwareLust

Gary S. wrote:
It is funny to see him accuse others of missing his points. He is not
at all capable of absorbing any tiny bit of information that does not
completely agree with his OPINIONS. Some scientist.

Gary,

I can't believe you would deliberately slander the entire scientific
community by referring to that blithering moron as a "scientist". Nothing
could be further from the truth, just like his arguments.

Regards,
H.

Old April 22nd 04, 07:29 PM
Gary S.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:14:48 GMT, "HardwareLust"
wrote:

Gary S. wrote:
It is funny to see him accuse others of missing his points. He is not
at all capable of absorbing any tiny bit of information that does not
completely agree with his OPINIONS. Some scientist.

Gary,

I can't believe you would deliberately slander the entire scientific
community by referring to that blithering moron as a "scientist". Nothing
could be further from the truth, just like his arguments.

Point made.

He refers to himself as a scientist, although his education and
degrees are not in fields anywhere near. I was snipping at that.

However, to all scientists, and everyone who ever took a science
class, I apologize for even remotely suggesting that you have anything
in common with Mikey.

Old April 23rd 04, 02:07 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:19:07 GMT, Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote:

..On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:19:28 GMT, Mike Vandeman
..wrote:
..
..On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:50:10 GMT, "S o r n i" wrote:
..
...So someone sends you a private e-mail (content irrelevant) and you publish
...it on Usenet without their knowledge or permission? Wonder if that violates
...your TOS, dic ( err, doc).
..
..There's nothing private on the Internet. DUH. The best way to deal with abusive
..email is to publish it for the whole world to see.
..
...Bill "you're just pathetic" S.
..
..What exactly does posting these emails to various newsgroups
..accomplish?

Shows the world exactly what mountain bikers are like, in their own words.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Another Mountain Biker Proves It: ALL Mountain Bikers Are Liars Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 7 February 18th 04 05:09 PM
"Fort Ord Habitat in Peril from Mountain Bikers -- Rogue RidersDamaging Rare Environment" G.T. Mountain Biking 11 January 25th 04 06:01 PM
Mountain Bikers as "Environmentalists"? Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 2 January 17th 04 11:29 PM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 01:16 PM
The Neanderthals: More Intelligent than Mountain Bikers! Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 7 September 30th 03 04:55 PM