Sponsorship

Old July 6th 04, 07:59 AM
rayner

Default Sponsorship

Hi, just wondering whether there is anyone here who owns a business, is
a cycling distributor or knows anyone who would be willing to sponsor me
for the 2005 season. I realise that this sounds a bit odd but due to my
age its a bit hard to get the support I need through email. I am a 16
year old 5 times state champion with aspirations of medalling at next
years u19 track and road nationals. If anyone can help I'd really
appreciate it. Thanks.

Old July 6th 04, 08:30 AM
flyingdutch

rayner wrote:
Hi, just wondering whether there is anyone here who owns a business, is
a cycling distributor or knows anyone who would be willing to sponsor me
for the 2005 season. I realise that this sounds a bit odd but due to my
age its a bit hard to get the support I need through email. I am a 16
year old 5 times state champion with aspirations of medalling at next
years u19 track and road nationals. If anyone can help I'd really
appreciate it. Thanks.

I used to go thru these hoops as a junior/early senior years (albeit
Baseball, but my sponsorship was to fund trip/s to States, worldchamps)

Can you put together some form of physical (or even webpage?) dossier
on yourself?

Sell yourself (so to speak) to them

List your achievements thus far (way to go, by the way. Your not one of
those little brats whipping me at the Kew crits are you?)

What your aspirations are Goals Inspriations (hint. dont pick Jobe
Dabka) and WHY they should pick you inparticular

remember these people get approached by every second person to sponsor
them. And most of the time you speak or contact someone, they wont be
the decision-maker in the process. So if you have a dossier on yourself
for your contact to 'show-and-tell' on your behalf to the real decision-
maker further up the management chain, you are way ahead of the game.

Just remember, you (or more importantly they) need a compelling reason
to say Yes. Your history is a huge start, but its what you are going to
do now/future that will interest/benefit them.

Be inventive. they get approached by lots so separate yourself from the
crowd. Goodluck. if you want help reviewing anything. let us know.
Where are you?

FD

Old July 6th 04, 09:00 AM
rayner

flyingdutch wrote:
Where are you?
FD

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Devonport in Tassie. Im mainly
after sponsorship so that I can get some new track wheels. I've been on
restrictions (equipment and gearing) until this year and I've found that
what I'm running isn't doing me too many favours. If I do well enough at
nationals I would have a chance of making the B squad for the T.I.S
which would give me access to discs and other high end stuff,but until
then I'm on my own stuff. In a way to be right up the pointy end results
wise you need the discs and high end stuff but to get that you need to
be with the TIS and to be with them you need the results to start with.
It's basically a never ending no win situation unless you can get
independent funding. I'll shut up now. Thanks for the reply.

Old July 7th 04, 06:15 AM
flyingdutch

rayner wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I live in Devonport in Tassie. Im mainly
after sponsorship so that I can get some new track wheels. I've been on
restrictions (equipment and gearing) until this year and I've found that
what I'm running isn't doing me too many favours. If I do well enough at
nationals I would have a chance of making the B squad for the T.I.S
which would give me access to discs and other high end stuff,but until
then I'm on my own stuff. In a way to be right up the pointy end results
wise you need the discs and high end stuff but to get that you need to
be with the TIS and to be with them you need the results to start with.
It's basically a never ending no win situation unless you can get
independent funding. I'll shut up now. Thanks for the reply.

Cool. put together something like i was talking about if you can be
bothered and approach the distributors and sales marketing guys at the
relevant companies.

Maybe you could suggest to them that they could start up a 'pool' of
relevant equipment (wheels in particular) to be used by the upcoming
junior stars to bridge that gap you referred to. That way, sharing the
equipment or passing it on once you get where you need to with bettera
ccess can let the next kid utilise them and Mavic/whoever get good bang-for-
buck out of their relatively small investment in junior track racing

Glad youre not one of em young bucks at Kew. Would have to give you a
cuff over the ear :-)

keep us updated on your endeavours

Old July 18th 04, 06:00 AM
rayner

Back again! Got off my bum and sent of a few emails. Managed to get a
discount with upgrades depending on results from vittoria, "severe"
discount from high5 and a free beanie from hed. Quite happy with that,
now I just have to race well!

--
rayner