SRAM PC48 Chain Is Now What?

Old November 7th 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick[_7_]

Default SRAM PC48 Chain Is Now What?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Just went browsing for some spare chains and it looks like SRAM
has changed their numbering system.

Why dey do dat? Too many customers and they want to reduce the
demand? If I had been able to recognize the chain I needed I
might have bought a half-dozen... but I was lost with the new
numbers.

Anyhow, two questions:

1) What has the PC48 become? PC850?

2) What was the diff between PC48 and PC58 and, if
significant, what has the PC58 become?

You might want to look at similar quality but cheaper KMC chains,
including similar powerlink.

I switched from the SRAM PC 48 to the KMC Z82 a few years ago without
problems.

I think the direct comparison to PC48 is the KMC Z51 but I've not tried
that.
Old November 7th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Nov 7, 6:31*am, Nick wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Just went browsing for some spare chains and it looks like SRAM
has changed their numbering system. *

Why dey do dat? *Too many customers and they want to reduce the
demand? * If I had been able to recognize the chain I needed I
might have bought a half-dozen... but I was lost with the new
numbers.

Anyhow, two questions:

1) What has the PC48 become? *PC850?

2) What was the diff between PC48 and PC58 and, if
* *significant, what has the PC58 become?

You might want to look at similar quality but cheaper KMC chains,
including similar powerlink.

I switched from the SRAM PC 48 to the KMC Z82 a few years ago without
problems.

I think the direct comparison to PC48 is the KMC Z51 but I've not tried
that.

I agree. I was a Sram user since it was called sedis sport. Man! I am
getting old. I switched to KMC a few years ago. Nashbar sometimes has
KMC tandem chains for $14.00. You get two chains out of one.
Old November 7th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Nick:
You might want to look at similar quality but cheaper KMC chains,
including similar powerlink.

I switched from the SRAM PC 48 to the KMC Z82 a few years ago without
problems.

I think the direct comparison to PC48 is the KMC Z51 but I've not tried

Thanks. Looks like about ten bucks a chain w/master link,
before shipping.

Sound about right to you?

Certainly a lot cheaper than SRAM....
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 7th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 5 Nov, 02:51, landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 7:20*pm, Norman wrote:

On Nov 4, 6:44*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:

In article
,

*landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 2:36*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Just went browsing for some spare chains and it looks like SRAM has
changed their numbering system. *

Why dey do dat? *

Bigger numbers means that the chain is more technologically advanced.

At least they still make the PC-1. *Or, I guess next year's
PC-1x10^0.

Ugh. That chain's a noisy POS. Anything from Xmart or Dick's is better.

The noise just means there is plenty of clearance so as to get a good
grease store in there..
Old November 7th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 7 Nov, 16:35, " wrote:
On Nov 7, 6:31*am, Nick wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Good tip. How many links do you get with a tandem chain?
Old November 8th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Nov 7, 1:31*pm, Nick wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Just went browsing for some spare chains and it looks like SRAM
has changed their numbering system. *

Why dey do dat? *Too many customers and they want to reduce the
demand? * If I had been able to recognize the chain I needed I
might have bought a half-dozen... but I was lost with the new
numbers.

Anyhow, two questions:

1) What has the PC48 become? *PC850?

2) What was the diff between PC48 and PC58 and, if
* *significant, what has the PC58 become?

You might want to look at similar quality but cheaper KMC chains,
including similar powerlink.

I switched from the SRAM PC 48 to the KMC Z82 a few years ago without
problems.

I think the direct comparison to PC48 is the KMC Z51 but I've not tried
that.

I think single-gear/fixie/hub gear/7-8speed allweather riders and
commuters need KMC's X8. It's the default chain on my Utopia with
Rohloff geartrain; Utopia, who don't count cost, after conducting
independent tests chose the X8 as their recommended chain over
Rohloff's own chain, and after all these years still consider it the
best chain for the high-mileage all-condition bikes that should also
be low-maintenance.

KMC have a KMC Chain Selector PDF on their site which includes these
significant elements before the arrow pointing to the X8:
"Do you ride more than 1000km in one year and/or do you use your bike
in rough conditions (rain, mud, etc)?"
It is clear from the channeling of questions and the arrangement of
the chain sets that KMC, who should surely know, consider the X8 more
capable and longer-wearing for distance riders and/or harsh conditions
than their more expensive chains.

The X8 is a 3/32in wide 7-8 speed chain and comes in two versions
named 99 and and 93 with the 99 having more silvering for better
rustproofing.

As I say, I have a KMC X8 99, but mine has only 2000km on it and runs
inside an enclosed chaincase so it should be near-new. All I can tell
you is that it feels solid, appears to be stiffer in the sense of
having has less sideplay than my other chains (SRAM, Connex, etc), and
is quiet and smooth-running. It looks to be a fit and forget chain; I
give it a couple of drops of lubricant (Oil of Rohloff) every 500km,
possibly superfluously.

The KMC X8 comes with a quick-release power link which I haven't tried
yet.

From my fave mailorder discounter, Chainreaction Cycles in Belfast,
the X8 costs about the same 16-17 Euro as a rustproofed Connex, so it
isn't as cheap as some KMC chains; it's about the middle of the range.
Not that I'll be buying it from CRC -- my bike has such a long
wheelbase that I need 126 links and am thus better off buying the OEM
KMC X8 99 straight from the manufacturers of my bike.

Andre Jute
The rest is magic hidden in the hub.
For rare hub gear bikes, visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old November 8th 09, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Nov 7, 4:12*pm, thirty-six wrote:
On 7 Nov, 16:35, " wrote:

On Nov 7, 6:31*am, Nick wrote:

[...]