Locking Headset Spacer (tech)

Old February 21st 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

Default Locking Headset Spacer (tech)

Is anyone aware of a source for a spacer for a threadless headset that
can be "locked" so that the fork will remain secured in place even if
the stem is removed? (Think disassembly for travel)
It would be added as the top spacer as shown he
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/h...threadless.jpg

And would be just like the threaded "headlocks" shown he
http://abundantadventures.com/parts/ultraheadlocks.jpg

Similarly, I suppose a properly sized seatpost collar/clamp with no
internal lip would work.

It's a simple enough concept that it must exist but I have not yet
found one.

DR

Old February 21st 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_3_]

DirtRoadie wrote:
Is anyone aware of a source for a spacer for a threadless headset that
can be "locked" so that the fork will remain secured in place even if
the stem is removed? (Think disassembly for travel)
It would be added as the top spacer as shown he
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/h...threadless.jpg

And would be just like the threaded "headlocks" shown he
http://abundantadventures.com/parts/ultraheadlocks.jpg

Similarly, I suppose a properly sized seatpost collar/clamp with no
internal lip would work.

It's a simple enough concept that it must exist but I have not yet
found one.

DR

Is the Problem Solvers Locking Headset Spacer what you are looking for?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...et+Spacer.aspx

PH

Old February 21st 11, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Feb 21, 1:43*pm, "Peter Howard" wrote:
DirtRoadie wrote:
Is anyone aware of a source for a spacer for a threadless headset that
can be "locked" so that the fork will remain secured in place even if
the stem is removed? (Think disassembly for travel)
It would be added as the top spacer as shown he
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/h...threadless.jpg

And would be just like the threaded "headlocks" shown he
http://abundantadventures.com/parts/ultraheadlocks.jpg

Similarly, I suppose a properly sized seatpost collar/clamp with no
internal lip would work.

It's a simple enough concept that it must exist but I have not yet
found one.

DR

Is the Problem Solvers Locking Headset Spacer what you are looking for?http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Solvers+Locki...

PH

Yup! Exactly!
Thanks.
DR
Old February 22nd 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

DirtRoadie wrote:

Is anyone aware of a source for a spacer for a threadless headset that
can be "locked" so that the fork will remain secured in place even if
the stem is removed? (Think disassembly for travel)

Mcmaster-Carr item number 6157K26. (1-1/8")

1-1/8" clamp collars are probably not common to be in stock at your
local fastener or bearing supply, but 1" collars definitely are.

The Problem Solvers item is more elegant and not a whole lot more
expensive, though.

Chalo
Old February 22nd 11, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone

In article .com,
"Peter Howard" wrote:

DirtRoadie wrote:
Is anyone aware of a source for a spacer for a threadless headset that
can be "locked" so that the fork will remain secured in place even if
the stem is removed? (Think disassembly for travel)
It would be added as the top spacer as shown he
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/h...threadless.jpg

And would be just like the threaded "headlocks" shown he
http://abundantadventures.com/parts/ultraheadlocks.jpg

Similarly, I suppose a properly sized seatpost collar/clamp with no
internal lip would work.

It's a simple enough concept that it must exist but I have not yet
found one.

DR

Is the Problem Solvers Locking Headset Spacer what you are looking for?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Locking+Headse
t+Spacer.aspx

PH

Similarly, there's this device (or others like it) if you also need a
brake hanger.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/189...843-Cyclocross
/Tektro-Front-Brake-Cable-Hanger.htm
Old February 23rd 11, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Feb 21, 6:17*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
In article .com,
*"Peter Howard" wrote:

DirtRoadie wrote:
[...]

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18920-050_TEKFH9-3-Parts-843-Cyclocr...

I got one of the QBP pinch bolt spacers , works OK. I have an
integrated headset under it .
keeps the jumble of parts together when I take off the stem.
Old February 23rd 11, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 2/22/2011 10:40 PM, Zarniwoop wrote:
On Feb 21, 6:17 pm, Ralph wrote:
In . bigpond.com,
"Peter wrote:

DirtRoadie wrote:
[...]

On one bike with a tall steerer, I just added another stem with a
chopped off section of h-bar to use to hang stuff (bar bag, lights,
etc.), keeps the h-bar free of clutter.
Old February 23rd 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Feb 23, 1:03*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
Peter Cole considered Wed, 23 Feb 2011
11:15:05 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 2/22/2011 10:40 PM, Zarniwoop wrote:
On Feb 21, 6:17 pm, Ralph *wrote:
In . bigpond.com,
* "Peter *wrote:

DirtRoadie wrote:
[...]

There are so many benefits to that arrangement* that I wonder that it
is not standard on tourers.

*ability to have bar-bag mounted low enough for lights to shine over
it, extra space for assorted handlebar furniture, possibility of an
extra hand position, ability to slacken and turn bars sideways for
storage without disturbing headset adjustment (if additional bar is
short), anyone think of any more?

Better radio reception?
Old February 23rd 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 23/02/2011 20:03, Phil W Lee wrote:
*ability to have bar-bag mounted low enough for lights to shine over
it

Why would I want a light above my bar-bag? Having it underneath, either
on the fork or fork crown, means the light is on the road and any spill
doesn't go into my eyes.
Old February 23rd 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Clive George wrote:
On 23/02/2011 20:03, Phil W Lee wrote:
*ability to have bar-bag mounted low enough for lights to shine over
it

Why would I want a light above my bar-bag? Having it underneath, either
on the fork or fork crown, means the light is on the road and any spill
doesn't go into my eyes.

No one sets these problems as clearly as Jonathan Swift:

"...our histories of six thousand moons make no mention of
any other regions than the two great empires of Lilliput and
Blefuscu. Which two mighty powers have, as I was going to
tell you, been engaged in a most obstinate war for
six-and-thirty moons past. It began upon the following
occasion. It is allowed on all hands, that the primitive way
of breaking eggs, before we eat them, was upon the larger
end; but his present majesty's grandfather, while he was a
boy, going to eat an egg, and breaking it according to the
ancient practice, happened to cut one of his fingers.
Whereupon the emperor his father published an edict,
commanding all his subjects, upon great penalties, to break
the smaller end of their eggs. The people so highly resented
this law, that our histories tell us, there have been six
rebellions raised on that account; wherein one emperor lost
his life, and another his crown... "

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Spacer between stem and headset [email protected] Techniques 4 February 9th 09 10:27 PM
WTB: 1mm BB Spacer Wasatch Marketplace 3 July 14th 05 09:03 PM
locking up lowkey General 31 June 27th 05 02:52 PM
Locking I & II Colin Blackburn UK 2 May 13th 05 11:10 AM
pvc tubing as threadless headset spacer [email protected] Techniques 23 April 17th 05 12:29 AM