Why are cyclists particularly at risk?

Old March 25th 09, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Harrison[_3_]

Default Why are cyclists particularly at risk?

Sorry folks, but this is about helmets.

I've just been on holiday to New Zealand. They have a helmet law which, as
far as I could see, is pretty universally obeyed from infants to oldies.

There are also quite a lot of skate parks which are also used by BMXers. I
don't think I ever saw anyone wear a helmet (or any other form of body/head
protection) in such parks. Then we hear about Natasha Richardson who, as I
understand it, died from a head injury sustained while skiing and not
wearing a helmet.

My question is this: why are cyclists uniquely singled out as needing to
wear helmets to the point of requiring law?

Old March 25th 09, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Graham Harrison wrote:
Sorry folks, but this is about helmets.

I've just been on holiday to New Zealand. They have a helmet law
which, as far as I could see, is pretty universally obeyed from infants
to oldies.

There are also quite a lot of skate parks which are also used by
BMXers. I don't think I ever saw anyone wear a helmet (or any other
form of body/head protection) in such parks. Then we hear about
Natasha Richardson who, as I understand it, died from a head injury
sustained while skiing and not wearing a helmet.

My question is this: why are cyclists uniquely singled out as needing to
wear helmets to the point of requiring law?

Because cyclists are scum, pond slime, dried jizzum on a hostel
blanket, they need to wear helmets for their own good.

Whats the penalty for not wearing one? And, while I'm here, does the
law stipulate how it should be worn, and what standards apply to the
helmet?
Old March 25th 09, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Graham Harrison wrote:
Sorry folks, but this is about helmets.

I've just been on holiday to New Zealand. They have a helmet law
which, as far as I could see, is pretty universally obeyed from infants
to oldies.

There are also quite a lot of skate parks which are also used by
BMXers. I don't think I ever saw anyone wear a helmet (or any other
form of body/head protection) in such parks. Then we hear about
Natasha Richardson who, as I understand it, died from a head injury
sustained while skiing and not wearing a helmet.

My question is this: why are cyclists uniquely singled out as needing to
wear helmets to the point of requiring law?

Becuase every dogooder has at some time ridden a bike , and therefore
"knows" about cycling. Imagine the difference if someone who had never
used a skateboard or skis started pontificating about helmets, the first
thing they would be asked is " what's your expertise in this area?"
Old March 25th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:51:57 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

Sorry folks, but this is about helmets.

I've just been on holiday to New Zealand. They have a helmet law which, as
far as I could see, is pretty universally obeyed from infants to oldies.

There are also quite a lot of skate parks which are also used by BMXers. I
don't think I ever saw anyone wear a helmet (or any other form of body/head
protection) in such parks. Then we hear about Natasha Richardson who, as I
understand it, died from a head injury sustained while skiing and not
wearing a helmet.

My question is this: why are cyclists uniquely singled out as needing to
wear helmets to the point of requiring law?

Because they do not possess the common sense which would tell them
that it is much safer to wear a helmet than not wear one.

The Governments are trying to help them.

--

The Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation (BHRF) is an independent body with the message:
Helmets are not beneficial to cyclists - unless the evidence forces them to a dramatically different conclusion.

Old March 25th 09, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
Sorry folks, but this is about helmets.

I've just been on holiday to New Zealand. They have a helmet law which,
as far as I could see, is pretty universally obeyed from infants to
oldies.

There are also quite a lot of skate parks which are also used by BMXers.
I don't think I ever saw anyone wear a helmet (or any other form of
body/head protection) in such parks. Then we hear about Natasha
Richardson who, as I understand it, died from a head injury sustained
while skiing and not wearing a helmet.

My question is this: why are cyclists uniquely singled out as needing to
wear helmets to the point of requiring law?

Because the people who introduced this law have no appreciation of risk, no
appreciation of the risks and benefits of cycling, and are congenitally
stubborn so that they cannot admit that they made a mistake.

Old March 25th 09, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:45:39 +0000, Marc
wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

No - I think it is because common-sense prevails and anyone with any
common sense knows that on balance a cycle helmet is more likely to
reduce the risk of injuries to the head in case of an accident rather
than to increase the risk of injuries.

--

There can be no doubt that a failure to wear a helmet may expose the cyclist to the risk of greater injury.

The wearing of helmets may afford protection in some circumstances and it must therefore follow that a cyclist of ordinary prudence should wear one.

Mr Justice Griffith Williams

Old March 25th 09, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim Newman

wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:
[...]

So if helmet use increases to 100% but cycle use decreases by 30%, what
decrease in cycle injuries would 'common sense' expect?

And what did actually happen ?
Old March 25th 09, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:50:38 -0700, "burtthebike"
wrote:

[...]

Ah yes - you did some "research" on the matter and concluded:

"I've examined all the evidence of cycle helmets I can
find, and I have been unable to find any benefit."

"They cycle helmets are demonstrably a bad thing."

Will your work be peer reviewed?
--

In the UK in 2007
There were 30,959 pedestrians injured in traffice accidents

I wonder what the relative numbers of pedestrians and cyclists
in the UK is?

It looks like cycling is much more dangerous than being a pedestrian.

Old March 26th 09, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Harrison[_3_]

Because they do not possess the common sense which would tell them
that it is much safer to wear a helmet than not wear one.

The Governments are trying to help them.

--

But then, surely, neither do users of skate parks, skiers or even (to a
lesser extent) horse riders. Would it not make more sense to promulgate a