24" MUni vs. 26" MUni

Old March 21st 05, 07:34 PM
weissnp

Default 24" MUni vs. 26" MUni

Hey I was wondering what the difference was between having a 24" or 26"
wheel on a MUni. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Nathan

--
weissnp - Look mom no hands!
weissnp's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9347

Old March 21st 05, 08:05 PM
JustOneWheel

24" Muni's will give you a little more versatility on technical parts
than a 26". But i ride a 26" and a Coker Muni. Once you master the wheel
size the bigger the more speed,distance and fun. I don't feel going from
a 24" to a 26" will feel much different after a short ride. But your
speed and distance will both increase.

Have Fun, I do

--
JustOneWheel - Every One Should Ride One
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

Old March 21st 05, 08:24 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

24"
pros:
more durability
more flexible (*extreme* trials, freestyle, urban, downhill)
3" tire (with less weight)
what the best riders ride
matches the 26" in speed

cons:
small selection of tires
less local availability (LBS)

26"
pros:
seems lighter
WIDE selection of tires
wide selection of rims
??

cons:
less durable
more weight with a cushy 3" tire

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old March 21st 05, 10:18 PM
joemarshall

26" is faster than 24". I can just about keep up with Roger Davies on a
26" until it gets super-technical and he certainly is a bit faster than
me on an equal wheel size.

26" is nicer for riding most mountain bike trails, riding singletrack
etc., 24" is nicer for riding big drops, hopping up things.

I like 26" with a 2.6" tyre because I don't have a car, so I'm often
riding long distances from train stations or from home. The extra 10% or
so (the difference between a fat 24" and a fat 26") does increase the
distance you can do in a day, which makes a bit of difference if you're
wanting to do a lot of riding (40+ miles of trails in a day).

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old March 21st 05, 10:38 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

crank length plays a role.
skill plays a role

24" and 26" can easily be equivalents in speed.
Except for the fact that tires and rims are common, I see little use for
the 26" size. If you're not going to do much hopping and such might as
well run the 29"

Old March 21st 05, 11:15 PM
tholub

I have a 26" Yuni.

I think the question really comes down to riding style. The 24 will be
better at hopping and gapping; the 26 will be better at rolling
obstacles. I roll. I use a 26".

The comparison to a 29er is ludicrous; there is no similarity at all
between a 29er and a 26x3.0".

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old March 21st 05, 11:25 PM
TheObieOne3226

tholub wrote:
*The comparison to a 29er is ludicrous; there is no similarity at all
between a 29er and a 26x3.0". *

Think before you attack people. The rolling diameter of a 26x3 tire is
usually somewhere around 27.8-28 inches. A 29er is about 29 inches. A
29er will often feel a lot better since the wheel is so much lighter.

--
TheObieOne3226 - SWAT

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

"Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him" - KJ-52

"try not to annoy the great Obie, for he is better than us." - Murde
Mental

Old March 22nd 05, 12:20 AM
tholub

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
*Think before you attack people. The rolling diameter of a 26x3 tire
is usually somewhere around 27.8-28 inches. A 29er is about 29 inches.
A 29er will often feel a lot better since the wheel is so much
lighter. *

I own both a 26x3.0" (Gazz) and a 29x2.1" (NanoRaptor); there is no
similarity at all between the two of them in terms of ride
characteristics. The fact that the tires are similar in diameter is
almost completely irrelevant.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old March 22nd 05, 12:41 AM
TheObieOne3226

tholub wrote:
*I own both a 26x3.0" (Gazz) and a 29x2.1" (NanoRaptor); there is no
similarity at all between the two of them in terms of ride
characteristics. The fact that the tires are similar in diameter is
almost completely irrelevant. *

You're an overly defensive idiot, who is mistaken. CL said that if
you're going to be just rolling you may as well go for a 29er, and I see
merit in his point (I am aware of the smiley).

A 29er is a decent option for XC and light to mid level muni with little
hopping. The more technical the riding gets, the smaller the wheel needs
to be to make the riding easy.

So really a 26x3 is only 1 step below a 29er with a 2.35 tire.

Your claim is that they share no ride characteristics. That is purely
subjective. They obviously share some ride characteristics (one wheel
etc) but you are eliminating the ones you think are insignifigant. This
is where discretion comes in. You may think they ride nothing alike, but
they are more similar than 29er and coker or 29er and 20''. It's just
that your opinion is different from everyone elses.

Old March 22nd 05, 01:00 AM
tholub

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
*You're an overly defensive idiot, who is mistaken. CL said that if
you're going to be just rolling you may as well go for a 29er, and I
see merit in his point (I am aware of the smiley).

A 29er is a decent option for XC and light to mid level muni with
little hopping. The more technical the riding gets, the smaller the
wheel needs to be to make the riding easy.

So really a 26x3 is only 1 step below a 29er with a 2.35 tire.

Your claim is that they share no ride characteristics. That is purely
subjective. They obviously share some ride characteristics (one wheel
etc) but you are eliminating the ones you think are insignifigant.
This is where discretion comes in. You may think they ride nothing
alike, but they are more similar than 29er and coker or 29er and 20''.
It's just that your opinion is different from everyone elses. *

The original poster is asking for the difference between a 24" and a 26"
MUni. Therefore, at least he believes that those things are similar
enough to want to choose between them. It is realistic to expect so,
since they are in the same category on unicycle.com, and they are viewed
in the same way by the riders. At Moab, 80% of the riders are on 24"
wheels, 20% are on 26" wheels, and maybe 1% will be on 29" wheels or
Cokers. (OK, I rode Moab on a 29er in 2003, but I bent a crank and
taco'ed the wheel). For 24 Hours at Laguna Seca, all the riders are on
29ers or Cokers; you won't see 24" or 26" wheels, except perhaps for
night laps.

Obviously you can ride a 29er off-road, and it's just great for some
things. The things it is great for are totally different than the
things a 26x3.0" MUni is good for. Again, I'm speaking as someone who
has put in hundreds of miles on both.

So I am trying to correct some advice that is not only bad, but is
ignorant of the question being asked and the distinction being made.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor