8 Speed Ultegra?????

Old November 30th 03, 03:09 PM
BarrY Young

Default 8 Speed Ultegra?????

I need new integrated shifters for my 8 speed Ultegra. I have been told
that I cannot just purchase new 105 or Ultegra 9 speeds and install then .
Does anyone have any sugestions short of replacing the backwheel ,cassette ,
chain, shifters. Is there an alternate combo shifter brake lever that is
compatable?

Thanks in advance

Barry

Old November 30th 03, 03:37 PM
MSeries

BarrY Young wrote:
I need new integrated shifters for my 8 speed Ultegra. I have been
told that I cannot just purchase new 105 or Ultegra 9 speeds and
install then . Does anyone have any sugestions short of replacing the
backwheel ,cassette , chain, shifters. Is there an alternate combo
shifter brake lever that is compatable?

Thanks in advance

Barry

9 Speeds pull less cable than 8 speeds as the sprocket spacings are less (8
speeds a 4.8 mm, 9 are 4.35). Any Shimano 8 speed shifter would do, such as
Sora, as all Shimano mechs have the same multiplier (1.66). Please get these
numbers double checked and verfied before you spend your money, don't just
take my word for it.

Old November 30th 03, 03:37 PM
Sheldon Brown

BarrY Young wrote:

I need new integrated shifters for my 8 speed Ultegra. I have been told
that I cannot just purchase new 105 or Ultegra 9 speeds and install then .
Does anyone have any sugestions short of replacing the backwheel ,cassette ,
chain, shifters. Is there an alternate combo shifter brake lever that is
compatable?

This is a Frequently Asked Question, and here's my boilerplate answer:

Even if you could find them, I wouldn't recommend buying 8-speed
shifters unless they are _very_ cheap. It makes more sense to upgrade
to 9-speed, since the expensive part of this conversion is the shifter,
and you already need a shifter!

The only additional parts you need for 9-speed are a new chain and
cassette, and these are normally consumable parts anyway--odds are yours
are already close to due for replacement.

Some folks will tell you that you need a lot of other stuff to convert
an 8-speed bike to 9-speed, but they're wrong.

Also, you can generally use the 9-speed shifters with your old 8-speed
cassette by using the "alternate cable routing" shown at
http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#alternate

Sheldon "Easier Than You Might Think" Brown
| I'm crazy about the music of Leos Janacek, |
| especially the Msa Glagolskaya and Sinfonietta |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old November 30th 03, 03:39 PM
Dan Brussee

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:09:17 -0500, "BarrY Young"
wrote:

I need new integrated shifters for my 8 speed Ultegra. I have been told
that I cannot just purchase new 105 or Ultegra 9 speeds and install then .
Does anyone have any sugestions short of replacing the backwheel ,cassette ,
chain, shifters. Is there an alternate combo shifter brake lever that is
compatable?

I think Sora may still be available in 8sp. However, your situation is
actually better than you imagine. 9sp rear cassette is the same width
as 8speed, so your rear wheel is fine. To go to 9speed, you would need

New shifters (you need theese anyway)
New cassette
New chain

Old November 30th 03, 08:53 PM
Paul Kopit

wrote:

I need new integrated shifters for my 8 speed Ultegra. I have been told
that I cannot just purchase new 105 or Ultegra 9 speeds and install then .
Does anyone have any sugestions short of replacing the backwheel ,cassette ,
chain, shifters. Is there an alternate combo shifter brake lever that is
compatable?

Thanks in advance

You can just buy the 9sp shifters and attach the derailleur cable to
the top of the screw on the rear derailleur. Next time you need a
cassette/chain, buy a 9sp cassette and chain and attach the cable
properly and readjust the derailleur stops.
Old November 30th 03, 09:23 PM
A Muzi

BarrY Young wrote:

I need new integrated shifters for my 8 speed Ultegra. I have been told
that I cannot just purchase new 105 or Ultegra 9 speeds and install then .
Does anyone have any sugestions short of replacing the backwheel ,cassette ,
chain, shifters. Is there an alternate combo shifter brake lever that is
compatable?

How about a set of Campagnolo 9 Ergos with cable set, a
Campagnolo rear changer and a SRAM nine cassette and chain?
The whole package should run about $238 to $260 - a pretty
good deal compared to an STi set IMHO.

See concurrent thread.

--
Andrew Muzi