frame building jig

Old December 1st 03, 03:19 AM
Joe

Default frame building jig

I'am looking for plans for a wood frame building jig. I've checked
Henry James site , what they have is their $3100.00 pro jig, they
suggested an out of print book w/ plans any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old December 1st 03, 04:42 AM
Phil Brown

I'am looking for plans for a wood frame building jig. I've checked
Henry James site , what they have is their $3100.00 pro jig, they
suggested an out of print book w/ plans any help appreciated.

The book you are looking for is Talbot's "Designing And Building Your Own
frameset", long out of print. But you don't need a jig to build a frame.
Phil Brown
Old December 1st 03, 04:44 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'am looking for plans for a wood frame building jig. I've checked
Henry James site , what they have is their $3100.00 pro jig, they
suggested an out of print book w/ plans any help appreciated.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Seriously. I just about burned down the
tool shed in back of our house while brazing a frame in a wooden fixture.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old December 1st 03, 06:36 AM
A Muzi

Joe wrote:

I'am looking for plans for a wood frame building jig. I've checked
Henry James site , what they have is their $3100.00 pro jig, they
suggested an out of print book w/ plans any help appreciated.
Thanks

Why?
Some famous builders in the classic era built wonderful
straight bikes without one. I have personally built frames
without a frame plate which were straight and
straightforward to build.

The most necessary job for my frame plate is installing S+S
couplers. We adjust to the frame, whack the frame in two and
then refit with the couplers in the same plate. (New bikes
get the couplers installed first. Then the tubes are cut to
fit)

All bicycle frame alignment references from the BB:
Threads are cut on one axis
Pilots are screwed into those threads
BB faces are cut exactly perpendicular to the thread axis
using the pilots.
Main tubes are aligned with a straightedge from the BB faces
Head and seat tubes are parallel to each other
The rear end is in plane with the main tubes.

I'm sure the practical man who's able to build a bicycle
frame could make a wooden fixture, but the effort seems
extreme for one frame. And making/keeping a wooden thing
straight strikes me as a lot of work. It is not trivial in
steel!

You might also see if a frame shop in your area would let
you use theirs briefly. Steel lugged frames are usually
tacked in a plate and then brazed in midair.

Rethinking that, I suppose a fixture would be more important
to a tig frame.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old December 1st 03, 08:36 AM
Q.

"Joe" wrote in message
m...
I'am looking for plans for a wood frame building jig. I've checked
Henry James site , what they have is their $3100.00 pro jig, they
suggested an out of print book w/ plans any help appreciated.
Thanks

Out of print isn't a problem usually ... there are many places on the net
that sell used books, or NOS stuff. Amazon.com is a good place to start
because they link to used book dealers now. I've also been able to get OOP
books through the publisher as well, as they sometimes just have a couple
sitting in a warehouse. I've always been able to get any book I've wanted,
and I have a couple of thousand I think (c:

However, the public library is a great place to get OOP books. They've
always been able to find a rare book for me through the ABLE system of book
exchange. Might take a couple of weeks to a month depending on how rare the
book is, and how far the library which has the book is. I suggest being
VERY nice to the head librarian, since locating the book might take some
effort but this book seems popular enough to be readily available at many
librarys.

C.Q.C.

Old December 1st 03, 06:18 PM
Bruni

You might do well to puchase some Bicycle research frame blocks. Available
in 1"" 1 1/8" 1 1/4", they allow you to hold a tube tightly without
damage-good for filing, machining,etc.
If you choose to jig, they can be laid out on plane to clamp.
They establish tube centers 1" off plane. Good luck!
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
Q. LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com wrote in message

m...

Old December 1st 03, 09:02 PM
jim beam

http://www.productionrunone.com/frame/intro.htm

nice job!

Old December 1st 03, 09:47 PM
Ted Bennett

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

I'am looking for plans for a wood frame building jig. I've checked
Henry James site , what they have is their $3100.00 pro jig, they
suggested an out of print book w/ plans any help appreciated.

Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Seriously. I just about burned down the
tool shed in back of our house while brazing a frame in a wooden fixture.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Ditto that. Anytime you light up a torch, have an extinguisher handy,
or failing that, a full bucket of water.

Apologies to anyone who hates safety Nazis. I used to be one, but then
I became middle-aged.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR