Freehub

Old December 17th 19, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Freehub

I have a set of Campagnolo disk wheels for Shimano.

I was under the impression that an 11 speed cassette fit on an 8-9-10 speed freehub. Am I doing something wrong or did they widen out the 11 speed freehub?
Old December 17th 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/16/2019 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a set of Campagnolo disk wheels for Shimano.

I was under the impression that an 11 speed cassette fit on an 8-9-10 speed freehub. Am I doing something wrong or did they widen out the 11 speed freehub?

Current Campagnolo bodies (1999 on) run 9-10-11-12 speed.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/CANEWHUB.JPG

Shimano road cassette body for 8-9-10 is shorter than the 11
cassette body:
https://bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11-...ech-breakdown/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 17th 19, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2019 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a set of Campagnolo disk wheels for Shimano.

I was under the impression that an 11 speed cassette fit on an 8-9-10
speed freehub. Am I doing something wrong or did they widen out the 11
speed freehub?

Current Campagnolo bodies (1999 on) run 9-10-11-12 speed.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/CANEWHUB.JPG

Shimano road cassette body for 8-9-10 is shorter than the 11 cassette body:
https://bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11-...ech-breakdown/

Better "Campatibility" LOL

--
JS
Old December 17th 19, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 12:20:23 AM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2019 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a set of Campagnolo disk wheels for Shimano.

I was under the impression that an 11 speed cassette fit on an 8-9-10
speed freehub. Am I doing something wrong or did they widen out the 11
speed freehub?

Current Campagnolo bodies (1999 on) run 9-10-11-12 speed.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/CANEWHUB.JPG

Shimano road cassette body for 8-9-10 is shorter than the 11 cassette body:
https://bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11-...ech-breakdown/

Better "Campatibility" LOL

--
JS

They are compatible if you have a Mavic wheel. https://www.velonews.com/2014/07/tec...ibility_337803

Otherwise, you go get a freehub body. I can run over to Universal tomorrow and get him one if he sends me the money. https://tinyurl.com/wpyqbj4

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 17th 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2019 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a set of Campagnolo disk wheels for Shimano.

I was under the impression that an 11 speed cassette fit on an
8-9-10 speed freehub. Am I doing something wrong or did they
widen out the 11 speed freehub?

Current Campagnolo bodies (1999 on) run 9-10-11-12 speed.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/CANEWHUB.JPG

Shimano road cassette body for 8-9-10 is shorter than the 11
cassette body:
https://bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11-...ech-breakdown/

Better "Campatibility" LOL

-- JS

They are compatible if you have a Mavic wheel.
https://www.velonews.com/2014/07/tec...ibility_337803

Otherwise, you go get a freehub body. I can run over to Universal
tomorrow and get him one if he sends me the money.
https://tinyurl.com/wpyqbj4

Or hack the cassette apart, remove a cog you use the least or not at
all, add splined (metal) shims from an older set on the inside and mount
it all. I do that all the time. If not available a spline metal shim can
be fashioned from an old worn cog.

Crunched another freehub body on Sunday but this time it was a riding
buddy. We had to hoof it home part of the way. Bicycle stuff is often so
flimsy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 17th 19, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/16/2019 7:53 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I have a set of Campagnolo disk wheels for Shimano.

I was under the impression that an 11 speed cassette fit on an
8-9-10 speed freehub. Am I doing something wrong or did they
widen out the 11 speed freehub?

Current Campagnolo bodies (1999 on) run 9-10-11-12 speed.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/CANEWHUB.JPG

Shimano road cassette body for 8-9-10 is shorter than the 11
cassette body:
https://bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11-...ech-breakdown/

Better "Campatibility"Â* LOL

-- JS

They are compatible if you have a Mavic wheel.
https://www.velonews.com/2014/07/tec...ibility_337803

Â*Otherwise, you go get a freehub body. I can run over to Universal
tomorrow and get him one if he sends me the money.
https://tinyurl.com/wpyqbj4

Or hack the cassette apart, remove a cog you use the least or not at
all, add splined (metal) shims from an older set on the inside and mount
it all. I do that all the time. If not available a spline metal shim can
be fashioned from an old worn cog.

Crunched another freehub body on Sunday but this time it was a riding
buddy. We had to hoof it home part of the way. Bicycle stuff is often so
flimsy.

Bicycle stuff? Or hacked bicycle stuff?
Old December 17th 19, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Bicycle stuff that isn't maintained properly, cleaned properly, or that is abused because it's being used for riding/loafs it was never intended for by the manufacturer?

Cheers
Old December 17th 19, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Bicycle stuff. Compared with car stuff much of it just does not last
long, and here I mean non-hacked name brand stuff.

Old December 17th 19, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Funny about it not lasting long. I have Shimano 600 Arabesque stuff on one of my bikes that still has lots of life in it. I also have Shimano N600 EX non-index (not the tri-colour group) on another bike that's still going strong.

I've toured two-weeks at a time fully loaded mtb on logging/mining roads and never broke anything even though there were about 40 pounds of gear, food and water carried on that bike and it had a freewheel not a cassette. Then again, I often cleaned it even whilst touring.

I've NEVER heard of anyone having the problems with bicycle stuff breaking like you and your cohorts do.

Cheers
Old December 17th 19, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On 17/12/19 1:07 pm, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

So how is a freehub body maintained properly, cleaned properly, and how
is it abused by riding on roads and bike paths?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Can I change my Suntour XC Pro freehub to a Shimano freehub? [email protected] Techniques 1 August 10th 14 07:08 PM
TNT Ti Freehub Tom Kunich Techniques 1 May 24th 07 04:56 AM
Freehub now seems to be okay Sir Ridesalot Techniques 0 February 6th 07 09:14 AM
New freehub graunching GazK UK 2 July 31st 06 01:26 PM
xt freehub ? pauly Techniques 5 May 8th 05 05:34 PM