London to shut streets to cars

Old June 30th 07, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Default London to shut streets to cars

Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...un07/jun30news

On September 23, the city of London will close 14km of roads to all traffic
except bicycles. The move is part of a year-long effort to encourage
cycling in the city. If successful, the event may become an annual
occurrence.

"In London's year of the bike, this will be the best day of all,'' said
Jenny Jones, Green Party member of the legislative assembly according to
Bloomberg.com.

The vehicle free zone will include Victoria Embankment, Westminster and St.
Paul's. The number of trips by bike in London has nearly doubled in recent
years and is up to 480,000 per day.

---===*** This space to let! ***===---
Yes! You, too, can SPAM in the Famous Brooke Rotating .sig!
---===*** Only $300 per line ***===---
Old June 30th 07, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Simon Brooke wrote on 30/06/2007 09:19 +0100:
Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...un07/jun30news

On September 23, the city of London will close 14km of roads to all traffic
except bicycles. The move is part of a year-long effort to encourage
cycling in the city. If successful, the event may become an annual
occurrence.

"In London's year of the bike, this will be the best day of all,'' said
Jenny Jones, Green Party member of the legislative assembly according to
Bloomberg.com.

The vehicle free zone will include Victoria Embankment, Westminster and St.
Paul's. The number of trips by bike in London has nearly doubled in recent
years and is up to 480,000 per day.

If we are lucky London might go the way of Bogota
http://www.leedscyclists.org.uk/transport_news15.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmyQgeHKkuI

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old June 30th 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

On Jun 30, 10:32 am, Tony Raven wrote:
If we are lucky London might go the way of Bogotahttp://www.leedscyclists.org.uk/transport_news15.htmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmyQgeHKkuI

That's really interesting, I hadn't heard about that before. I admire
people like Ken Livingston because at least they have the will to
achieve something and follow it through even if I don't 100% agree
with some of the initives he's imposed.

"Interestingly, Oscar says they're not moving towards car-freedom to
protect the environment. They're doing it out of a sense for social
justice. "We don't really care about the environment. We have other
things to think about. We have social problems, and lack of money. We
have to stop building highways because we need that money to build
schools."

Some local authorities in the UK seem to have stopped maintaining
roads anyway, probably because they don't have enough money as it's
being spent on things such as schools!

pete

Old June 30th 07, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:19:39 +0100
Simon Brooke wrote:

Source:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...un07/jun30news

On September 23, the city of London will close 14km of roads to all
traffic except bicycles.

.... is the wrong approach ...

1. In a place the size of London, it should be a far greater area.
2. And not just one day a year.
3. But with exceptions for the disabled and for working vehicles
(vans and up, not repmobiles:-)

--
not me guv
Old June 30th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

Simon Brooke wrote:

Source:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...un07/jun30news

On September 23, the city of London will close 14km of roads to all
traffic except bicycles.

... is the wrong approach ...

1. In a place the size of London, it should be a far greater area.
2. And not just one day a year.
3. But with exceptions for the disabled and for working vehicles
(vans and up, not repmobiles:-)

Has Mayor Ken had an exchange visit to Bogota? I'll pitch in a tenner
towards his airfare.

Old June 30th 07, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Erik Sandblom

Den 2007-06-30 10:19:39 skrev Simon Brooke :

Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...un07/jun30news

On September 23, the city of London will close 14km of roads to all
traffic
except bicycles. The move is part of a year-long effort to encourage
cycling in the city. If successful, the event may become an annual
occurrence.

I've recently found it entertaining to ride the city streets late at night
or early morning. There's no traffic, and I can roam areas which by day
are the domain of tin monsters. It's a great feeling, like venturing
outside the Space Shuttle without having to put on a space suit.

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies
Old July 1st 07, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:22:23 +0200, "Erik Sandblom"
said in
:

I've recently found it entertaining to ride the city streets late at night
or early morning. There's no traffic, and I can roam areas which by day
are the domain of tin monsters. It's a great feeling, like venturing
outside the Space Shuttle without having to put on a space suit.

I like riding through the city in "rush" hour. I'm the fastest thing
on the road!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 1st 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Erik Sandblom

Den 2007-07-01 20:56:23 skrev Just zis Guy, you know? :

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 22:22:23 +0200, "Erik Sandblom"
said in
:

I've recently found it entertaining to ride the city streets late at
night
or early morning. There's no traffic, and I can roam areas which by day
are the domain of tin monsters. It's a great feeling, like venturing
outside the Space Shuttle without having to put on a space suit.

I like riding through the city in "rush" hour. I'm the fastest thing
on the road!

I know I'm not supposed to say I'm afraid of car traffic. I'm supposed to
take the lane and be confident and read Cyclecraft (haven't yet).

But I'm beginning to think that fast-moving road traffic (say 50 km/h or
30 mph) simply does not have a place in a city, at least not in the
central areas. And that's regardless of my skills and abilities as a
cyclist. The mayor of Bogota said it well in Tony's link:

"Everywhere in the world there is a new awareness about the environment,
and everyone knows what the environment for a bird, for a dolphin, for a
gorilla is. But what we don't know is what the right environment for
children is. We don't know where to raise a kid. A perfect city would be
the one that would give us the opportunity to raise our kids without
having cars attacking them, without having to commute several hours
because of sprawl. Suburban sprawl is making North American cities crazy."

http://www.leedscyclists.org.uk/transport_news15.htm

Sometimes in the press there is a discussion about children walking to
school. Worried parents lobby for overpasses and underpasses and stuff.
But I walked to school from grade one (I might have been accompanied by my
brother who is two years older). People just told me to look both ways
before crossing, and stop at red lights. If that isn't enough, what is?
It's not a matter of underpasses, it's a systemic problem.

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies
Old July 1st 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Erik Sandblom wrote:
... I'm beginning to think that fast-moving road traffic (say 50 km/h
or 30 mph) simply does not have a place in a city, at least not in the
central areas. And that's regardless of my skills and abilities as a
cyclist. The mayor of Bogota said it well in Tony's link:

I agree in principle, but I think your definition of 'fast-moving'
needs adjusting.

In the UK, drivers tend to aim to do 35-40 in a 30 limit, which is
fast-moving in my book.

If they genuinely did 25-30, as they would have to if the limit were
enforced properly, I think that would be slow enough.

The slower you're driving, the easier it is to slow down to cycling
pace - and the more likely you are to do that instead of forcing your
way past unsafely.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old July 2nd 07, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyMorris

Erik Sandblom wrote:

I know I'm not supposed to say I'm afraid of car traffic. I'm
supposed to take the lane and be confident and read Cyclecraft
(haven't yet).
But I'm beginning to think that fast-moving road traffic (say 50 km/h
or 30 mph) simply does not have a place in a city, at least not in the
central areas. And that's regardless of my skills and abilities as a
cyclist. The mayor of Bogota said it well in Tony's link:

Most of the time I'm not really bothered by urban traffic when I'm on my
bike, It unpleasant up steep hills, on the flat or down hill it adds a bit
on interest. When you've taken 15 to 20 mph out of the speed it leaves them
overtaking at 10 to 20 mph in a fairly predictable way. Fast country traffic
can be unpleasant due to the noise.

Where it does **** me off is when I walking along being overtaken by 40 mph
traffic or having to run like **** or go a long way out of my way to cross
the road. I feel intimidated a lot more on foot than on my bike.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Oh, shut up! [email protected] Racing 9 December 7th 06 11:44 PM
Squeezing the cars out of London Tony Raven UK 168 November 19th 06 11:13 PM
And the U.S. is shut out again... chris Racing 3 October 3rd 04 06:01 AM