Time Titanium Mag Impact Pedals

Old November 24th 03, 02:41 PM
Rick

Default Time Titanium Mag Impact Pedals

At 6' 1" and 170 lb. (77 Kg) should I be concerned regarding the use of a
pedal with a titanium axle?

Thanks in advance.

Old November 25th 03, 02:26 AM
A Muzi

Rick wrote:
At 6' 1" and 170 lb. (77 Kg) should I be concerned regarding the use of a
pedal with a titanium axle?

Concerned? Yes! Take them out and install a proper steel
spindle. The history of ti spindles in all brands is
chilling. Dump 'em now.

You'll hear from others who will say "mine didn't break".
Whatever. The ones which do fail will land you on your face
too quickly to react. It is a poor bargain of grams for
facial hamburger.

We no longer sell _any_ ti spindles, pedal or BB, of any
brand, in this place. I've seen too much

YMMV

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old November 25th 03, 02:50 AM
S. Anderson

"A Muzi" wrote in message
Concerned? Yes! Take them out and install a proper steel
spindle. The history of ti spindles in all brands is
chilling. Dump 'em now.

You'll hear from others who will say "mine didn't break".
Whatever. The ones which do fail will land you on your face
too quickly to react. It is a poor bargain of grams for
facial hamburger.

We no longer sell _any_ ti spindles, pedal or BB, of any
brand, in this place. I've seen too much

YMMV

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I have seen Time Ti's in service for many miles, but I'd agree that it's a
risk. BB spindle and pedal spindles aren't the safest way to save weight.
Maybe on a hill climb bike for races only if you're very competitive, but
not as general use.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old November 25th 03, 02:41 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rgamble- At 6' 1" and 170 lb. (77 Kg) should I be concerned regarding the use
of a
pedal with a titanium axle?

Thanks in advance.
BRBR

What an appropriate name-gamble. I think pedal spindles and BB spindles are a
poor(dumb) place for titanium. Breaking one of these really hurts. The weight
savings is teeny tiny, I would never do it even if I were 170(or 150) pounds.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 25th 03, 03:55 PM
Robin Hubert

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
rgamble- At 6' 1" and 170 lb. (77 Kg) should I be concerned regarding

the use
of a
pedal with a titanium axle?

Thanks in advance.
BRBR

What an appropriate name-gamble. I think pedal spindles and BB spindles

are a
poor(dumb) place for titanium. Breaking one of these really hurts. The

weight
savings is teeny tiny, I would never do it even if I were 170(or 150)

pounds.

I feel the same about titanium fasteners (like stem/bar connectors) and also
carbon fiber bars and seatposts.

Robin Hubert

Old November 25th 03, 05:40 PM
Jay Beattie

"A Muzi" wrote in message
Rick wrote:
At 6' 1" and 170 lb. (77 Kg) should I be concerned regarding the use

of a
pedal with a titanium axle?

Concerned? Yes! Take them out and install a proper steel
spindle. The history of ti spindles in all brands is
chilling. Dump 'em now.

You'll hear from others who will say "mine didn't break".
Whatever. The ones which do fail will land you on your face
too quickly to react. It is a poor bargain of grams for
facial hamburger.

We no longer sell _any_ ti spindles, pedal or BB, of any
brand, in this place. I've seen too much

YMMV

You are probably right, Andrew, but your "facial hamburger" scenario is
a bit dire. I broke some Ti axle pedals (some early East Rochester Tool
& Die) and just came down on my foot. I broke four or five cranks and
never fell. Not that anyone wants to break pedals, but it will not
cause you to go OTB. It will cause you to pedal one-legged for,
perhaps, a very long way (and wake up a shop owner in a small town at
7:00 am on a Sunday to buy a $10 pair of pedals -- thank God the owner
lived in a house attached to the shop). -- Jay Beattie.

Old November 25th 03, 11:42 PM
Rick

Thanks for the tips and insights.

About 1984 I snapped a Campy SL steel spindle pedal while attacking. As I
was alone at the time and no other riders were affected I felt fortunate
that there were no injuries as a result of the event. I'll never forget the
"hey ,wat hoppen?" moment as i was fortunate not to have faceplanted.
Lauren Figioun had a similar look on his is face as a result of the same
event about the same point in time.

hlink.net...

Old November 26th 03, 01:12 AM
Carl Fogel

A Muzi wrote in message ...
Rick wrote:
At 6' 1" and 170 lb. (77 Kg) should I be concerned regarding the use of a
pedal with a titanium axle?

Concerned? Yes! Take them out and install a proper steel
spindle. The history of ti spindles in all brands is
chilling. Dump 'em now.

You'll hear from others who will say "mine didn't break".
Whatever. The ones which do fail will land you on your face
too quickly to react. It is a poor bargain of grams for
facial hamburger.

We no longer sell _any_ ti spindles, pedal or BB, of any
brand, in this place. I've seen too much

YMMV

Dear Andrew,

Why do the titanium pieces fail?

Are they made from an inherently weaker metal? I had a vague
notion that some titanium alloys were awfully strong, but my
metallurgy is mostly vague notions.

Are they just poor quality titanium alloys? That is, would
decent titanium, but the rotten stuff used to save money is
weakened by bad refinining processes?

Or are the designers just making the titanium pieces too
thin in some misguided pursuit of light weight?

I take it that titanium frames are okay, but I'm curious
what the difference is.

Carl Fogel
Old November 26th 03, 02:00 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Carl Fogel wrote:

We no longer sell _any_ ti spindles, pedal or BB, of any
brand, in this place. I've seen too much

Why do the titanium pieces fail?

Are they made from an inherently weaker metal? I had a vague
notion that some titanium alloys were awfully strong, but my
metallurgy is mostly vague notions. ...

I take it that titanium frames are okay, but I'm curious
what the difference is.

Bottom bracket and pedal spindles are dimensionally limited
so there is not much possibility to make the piece oversized
to increase overall strength and stiffness. This is as opposed
to oversized Ti or Al frames and the occasional hub axle.
(Frame and hub axle failures are also less likely to dump the
rider, but that's a separate issue.)

If you search the Google archives of this group for e.g.
"titanium bracket spindle strength" you can find several heated
discussions of stuff like titanium BB spindles from back in the
heyday of stupidlite trick MTB parts. You don't see many of
those discussions any more.

Old November 26th 03, 02:12 AM
Russell Seaton

The only pedal spindle I saw break caused the person to hit the
pavement with his head. Fortunately he was wearing a helmet and only
received a concussion instead of a fractured skull. We were riding in
town and had made a corner at about 15 mph and he stood up to get back
up to speed. Pedal spindle broke and he went down.

They were steel spindle Time Equipe pedals. Mid 1990s vintage. My
steel spindle Time pedals are a few years older. Just bad luck on his
set of pedals. This accident occurred about 2000.