problem with front wheel

Old December 2nd 03, 01:53 AM
Alps

Default problem with front wheel

CAN ANYONE ADVICE ME ON HOW TO FIX MY FRONT WHEEL.
I AM NOT SURE HOW TO EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM I WILL TRY MY BEST.
ACTUALLY THE WHEEL IS MOVING SIDE WAYS (EVEN AFTER TAKING THE WHOLE
WEEL OUT)
IT MOVES WITHIN THE CONCENTRIC CYLINDER IN THE CENTER OF THE WHEEL.
IF YOU GET THE PROBLEM CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THE PROBLEM IS
FIXABLE AND IF YES HOW.

THANKS A LOT.
ALPESH.
Old December 2nd 03, 02:51 AM
Josh Gatts

"Alps" wrote in message
om...
CAN ANYONE ADVICE ME ON HOW TO FIX MY FRONT WHEEL.
I AM NOT SURE HOW TO EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM I WILL TRY MY BEST.
ACTUALLY THE WHEEL IS MOVING SIDE WAYS (EVEN AFTER TAKING THE WHOLE
WEEL OUT)
IT MOVES WITHIN THE CONCENTRIC CYLINDER IN THE CENTER OF THE WHEEL.
IF YOU GET THE PROBLEM CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THE PROBLEM IS
FIXABLE AND IF YES HOW.

THANKS A LOT.
ALPESH.

We can hear you -- no need to SHOUT.

It sounds like your hub cones are loose. Take it to your local bike shop,
or if you're adventurous, try:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml

--Josh

Old December 2nd 03, 09:12 AM
A Muzi

Alps wrote:

CAN ANYONE ADVICE ME ON HOW TO FIX MY FRONT WHEEL.
I AM NOT SURE HOW TO EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM I WILL TRY MY BEST.
ACTUALLY THE WHEEL IS MOVING SIDE WAYS (EVEN AFTER TAKING THE WHOLE
WEEL OUT)
IT MOVES WITHIN THE CONCENTRIC CYLINDER IN THE CENTER OF THE WHEEL.
IF YOU GET THE PROBLEM CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THE PROBLEM IS
FIXABLE AND IF YES HOW.

THANKS A LOT.
ALPESH.

Turn off your caps lock, remove the wheel and notice there
are two wrench flats on the axle on either side. The inner
one is a bearing adjustment["cone"], the outer its locknut.

You'll need a thin wrench of the appropriate size for the
cone and another wrench for the locknut.

Unscrew one locknut a few turns, add a drop of oil on the
threads and lock it firmly against the cone. Now unscrew
the other locknut, unscrew the cone far enough to see if the
bearings are covered with grease. Frequently now they are
not. Fill the space around the balls with grease and screw
the cone tight with your fingers.

Now lock the locknut against the cone, holding the cone with
the thin wrench and using the other wrench on the locknut.
Turn the axle in your fingers. It should spin smoothly but
not exhibit any lateral play. Repeat until both conditions
are met.

Ideally you should have a slight preload on that bearing .
That preload will be increased if your wheel is secured to
the fork with a quick-release skewer. Speaking of which, oil
the cam of that mechanism and close with enough pressure to
leave an impression on your palm for a few seconds.

On installing the wheel, slip your fingers alongside the
tire on both sides to ensure it is centered in the fork.
See also:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8c.7.html
and:
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8a.2.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old December 2nd 03, 09:21 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Alps wrote:

CAN ANYONE ADVICE ME ON HOW TO FIX MY FRONT WHEEL.
I AM NOT SURE HOW TO EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM I WILL TRY MY BEST.
ACTUALLY THE WHEEL IS MOVING SIDE WAYS (EVEN AFTER TAKING THE WHOLE
WEEL OUT)
IT MOVES WITHIN THE CONCENTRIC CYLINDER IN THE CENTER OF THE WHEEL.
IF YOU GET THE PROBLEM CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THE PROBLEM IS
FIXABLE AND IF YES HOW.

YOUR HUB BEARINGS ARE LOOSE.

If you didn't know the concentric cylinder was called a hub, I would
advise that you get a bike shop to adjust the bearings for you. If it
has been like this for a very long time it may require new ball bearings
and/or a new hub.

Front mech problem andyforse Techniques 7 July 29th 03 11:45 AM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
Wheel Covers used in Time Trials Shock Techniques 5 July 23rd 03 10:17 PM
Rear wheel building questions Antti Salonen Techniques 4 July 15th 03 08:42 PM