Kill two cyclists get a pay cut

Old June 7th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

Default Kill two cyclists get a pay cut

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KCBS) - The Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputy who
killed two cyclists last year will be able to continue working at the
Sheriff's office, but not in his current position.

Deputy James Council killed the two cyclists after falling asleep
behind the wheel of his patrol car. Sheriff Laurie Smith demoted him
to a technician position, which comes with an almost $30,000 annual
pay cut.

Cycling groups have asked that the department change its policy of
requiring deputies to work 12-hour shifts. "There was evidence that
the officer was working a late night, 12-hour shift the night before
and then was placed into a car in the early morning the day of,"
explained Anthony Borba of Third Pillar Racing. "I think that's a very
dangerous practice."

Sheriff's Department spokesman, Sgt. Don Morrissey said they've hired
a former NASA sleep deprivation expert to look into the issue. "We're
going to look at his research actually and see what we can learn from
that research, in regards to how the 12-hour shifts impact our
personnel."

Kristy Gough, 30, and Matt Peterson, 29, were killed in the accident.
A third cyclist was hospitalized with injuries.

Under a plea deal, Council will spend four months under house arrest.