Do you think that Tyler Hamilton is positive about what he's doing???

Old September 21st 04, 02:08 PM
Richard Longwood

Default Do you think that Tyler Hamilton is positive about what he's doing???

Cycling News Flash for September 21, 2004
Edited by Jeff Jones

Hamilton positive
By Jeff Jones

The Vuelta a España has been rocked this morning by news that Tyler Hamilton
(Phonak), has returned two positive blood tests that showed evidence of a
homologous blood transfusion. One test was performed at the Athens Olympics
and another at the Vuelta. Both tests showed evidence of a "mixed red blood
cell population, an indication of a homologous blood transfusion," Phonak's
press officer Georges Lüchinger was quoted by AP as saying. Phonak will hold
a press conference later this evening.

Hamilton, winner of the gold medal at the Athens 2004 Olympics in the
individual time trial as well as the Vuelta's eighth stage time trial,
abandoned the race prior to stage 13 claiming stomach problems. Hamilton has
denied having a transfusion, saying the positive test was the result of a
surgical intervention he had some time ago.

Phonak team director Alvaro Pino said, "I have spoken to Tyler and he has
claimed he is innocent and apart from whatever the (Phonak) team decides, he
will do whatever he has to do to defend himself from these accusations."

Enhancing endurance performance via blood transfusion is nothing new:
Athletes admitted to using it at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984, when it
was not illegal. Typically, a quantity of blood is withdrawn from an athlete
some time before an important competition, and when the time comes, the red
cells are reinjected to provide an extra boost. This can also be done with
another person's blood and even with EPO-enhanced blood, although the risk
of detection is far greater. Former Kelme cyclist Jesus Manzano claimed that
he nearly died when he was reinjected with some "bad blood" late in 2003.

Tyler Hamilton's case is the first ever positive for a blood transfusion, as
up until very recently, doping via this method has been undetectable. A
powerful blood test developed by Australian researchers was implemented at
this year's Tour de France. The test didn't look for a particular banned
substance, but instead examined whether there were any abnormalities in a
person's blood as a result of artificial manipulation. At the Tour, it was
announced that homologous blood transfusions could be detected, but
autologous transfusions could not.

Old September 21st 04, 02:35 PM
Dan Connelly

Richard Longwood wrote:
Cycling News Flash for September 21, 2004
Edited by Jeff Jones

It's good in these cases to post a link to the story at the web site, rather than
copying it verbatim
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...p04/sep21news3

Jeff would have posted it here had he wanted to.

Dan

P.S. I'm waiting for someone "in the know" to say how long after a legitimate
transfusion someone would be susceptable to a positive with this test, and
whether Tyler falls within this time period.

Old September 21st 04, 02:49 PM
B. Lafferty

Someone beat me to it by posting the link to L'Equipe. ;-)

Old September 21st 04, 02:55 PM
Richard Adams

Someone beat you? Demand a urine test!

Old September 21st 04, 02:56 PM
Gary

LOL. Good one!

Old September 21st 04, 03:15 PM
B. Lafferty

I'm positive that they would come up clean. This is what happens when one
has to paint his daughter's room rather than post to usenet. But the room
does look good. My 6 year old daughter picked "Sweet 16 Pink." It's fairly
close to T-Mobile pink.

Old September 21st 04, 03:18 PM
psycholist

"Dan Connelly" wrote in message
. com...
Richard Longwood wrote:
Cycling News Flash for September 21, 2004
Edited by Jeff Jones

It's good in these cases to post a link to the story at the web site,

rather than
copying it verbatim
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...p04/sep21news3

Jeff would have posted it here had he wanted to.

Dan

P.S. I'm waiting for someone "in the know" to say how long after a

legitimate
transfusion someone would be susceptable to a positive with this test, and
whether Tyler falls within this time period.

I'm waiting for someone in the know to explain what surgical procedure Tyler
would have had in "recent history" that would have required a transfusion.

Bob C.

Old September 21st 04, 03:31 PM

"psycholist" writes:

I'm waiting for someone in the know to explain what surgical procedure Tyler
would have had in "recent history" that would have required a transfusion.

Hang tough. The Phonak Spin Doctors are working on it. They'll come up with something
half-assed credible, just wait and see.

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://sixday.741.com/