long lever return spring on Dura Ace STI levers

Old November 22nd 03, 05:44 PM
richdavis

Default long lever return spring on Dura Ace STI levers

Listed among my many faults is the desire to take things apart that I
shouldn't, like the above shift/brake levers. I got it back together
but now the long lever doesn't spring back into position after shifting
up into larger rear cogs. The long lever return spring is located under
the grey plastic cover on the front of the lever. It fit in nicely when
I reassembled it but it wasn't under any tension. My question is: Is
this spring supposed to be wound up or under tension or does anyone
have any other advice? The shimano pdf shows how to disassemble the
rear (brake) part of the levers and says not to open the front part.
(So why did they put a big screw there?) My LBM just laughs and makes
cash register noises.

Old November 22nd 03, 06:22 PM
bfd

"richdavis" wrote in message
Listed among my many faults is the desire to take things apart that I
shouldn't, like the above shift/brake levers. I got it back together
but now the long lever doesn't spring back into position after shifting
up into larger rear cogs. The long lever return spring is located under
the grey plastic cover on the front of the lever. It fit in nicely when
I reassembled it but it wasn't under any tension. My question is: Is
this spring supposed to be wound up or under tension or does anyone
have any other advice? The shimano pdf shows how to disassemble the
rear (brake) part of the levers and says not to open the front part.
(So why did they put a big screw there?) My LBM just laughs and makes
cash register noises.

Here are two sites that may be helpful in solving your problem, otherwise I
agree with your LBS, be prepared to fork out some dough, cha-ching....Good
Luck

http://www.cyclingforum.com/features...IdisDetail.doc

http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

Old November 22nd 03, 07:49 PM
Frits

"richdavis" schreef in bericht
Listed among my many faults is the desire to take things apart that I
shouldn't, like the above shift/brake levers. I got it back together
but now the long lever doesn't spring back into position after shifting
up into larger rear cogs. The long lever return spring is located under
the grey plastic cover on the front of the lever. It fit in nicely when
I reassembled it but it wasn't under any tension. My question is: Is
this spring supposed to be wound up or under tension or does anyone
have any other advice? The shimano pdf shows how to disassemble the
rear (brake) part of the levers and says not to open the front part.
(So why did they put a big screw there?) My LBM just laughs and makes
cash register noises.

Yes the spring should be woud up a little. About three quarter of a turn.put
the spring in the holes, one in the grey plastic cover and the one in the
front of the lever.
now turn the cover under slight preasure, so the spring can't leave the
holes until it''s in upright position and fit the square iron bit.The hard
part is.
Find out how the spring should be. (two choises)
finding out witch holes to use (two choises)
turnning the cover whitout teh spring leaving the holes
turning the cover in upright position with the cover hole slipping over the
square iron bit before being upright

Good luck, It can be don, but not at ones, just keep trying (sorry for my
poor english, i'm dutch.)

Old November 23rd 03, 06:36 AM
A Muzi

"richdavis" wrote in message

-snip some small part in my DA STi-

bfd wrote:
Here are two sites that may be helpful in solving your problem, otherwise I
agree with your LBS, be prepared to fork out some dough, cha-ching....Good
Luck
http://www.cyclingforum.com/features...IdisDetail.doc
http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

Good time to consider an Ergo conversion. Ergos & a rear
Campagnolo changer can sum to less than DA STi levers. And
Ergo are _easily_ rebuilt.

hats off to Mr Cotton but really. . .

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old November 23rd 03, 02:33 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

andy- Good time to consider an Ergo conversion. Ergos & a rear
Campagnolo changer can sum to less than DA STi levers. And
Ergo are _easily_ rebuilt. BRBR

$400 plus for 2004 DA LEVERS...yikes....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302