A March on Washington... on Bicycle?

Old November 19th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
KingOfTheApes

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

On Nov 18, 7:33*pm, Dane Buson wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc Tom Sherman wrote:

Dane Buson wrote:

Hello again, I took a wee hiatus when I couldn't be arsed to reconfigure
my leafnode server after a HD change and OS upgrade. *I've been more
than slightly busy with life, but decided to come back and poke around
the newsgroups some.

PLEASE! Usenet is more important than life!

Unforunately neither my boss nor bill collectors would be much inclined
to agree I'm thinking. *And I'm not quite as fond of pig-wrestling as
you are. *Still, I've been posting to the rb.* hierarchy for seven
years, I probably should stick around a little longer.

I think Internet is so important that I'd hesitate to go to Heaven if
it didn't have Internet.

But some of the posters here seem to be brain dead. Particulary Dr.
Evil writing from Hell.

Old November 19th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Is your place walkable, bikeable or just a hole?

Doug wrote:
I was surprised that my old neighborhood in New Orleans was a
“walker’s paradise” at 100%,

Interesting. I put the address of the house I grew up in--just off
the cemetery end of Canal St and got an 82%

Dave Clary
Corpus Christi, TX
http://davegetsfit.blogspot.com
Diet, Exercise, and Golf!
Old November 19th 08, 03:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats[_16_]

Dane Buson wrote:

Hello again, I took a wee hiatus when I couldn't be arsed to reconfigure
my leafnode server after a HD change and OS upgrade. *I've been more
than slightly busy with life, but decided to come back and poke around
the newsgroups some.

PLEASE! Usenet is more important than life!

Unforunately neither my boss nor bill collectors would be much inclined
to agree I'm thinking. *And I'm not quite as fond of pig-wrestling as
you are. *Still, I've been posting to the rb.* hierarchy for seven
years, I probably should stick around a little longer.

I think Internet is so important that I'd hesitate to go to Heaven if
it didn't have Internet.
But some of the posters here seem to be brain dead. Particulary Dr.
Evil writing from Hell.

Sometimes you're sadly amusing.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old November 19th 08, 04:07 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Peter Clinch writes:
Tom Keats wrote:

Bike paths generally don't get you to the butcher shop,
bakery, cheese shop, supermarket, hardware store,
department store, library, community centre or job site.

At best they lead to pretty places where you can pick
berries when in season, and snap some soon-to-be-forgotten
pix with a disposable camera.

Bike paths divert customers away from commerce.

That's implementation dependent. There's no particular problem doing
one's shopping via bike path in NL, for example.

Which part of NL? Amsterdam?

What about the rest of NL?

cheers,
Tom

Old November 19th 08, 05:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Dane Buson wrote:
Hello again, I took a wee hiatus when I couldn't be arsed to reconfigure
my leafnode server after a HD change and OS upgrade. I've been more
than slightly busy with life, but decided to come back and poke around
the newsgroups some.

PLEASE! Usenet is more important than life!

Unforunately neither my boss nor bill collectors would be much inclined
to agree I'm thinking. And I'm not quite as fond of pig-wrestling as
you are.[...]

Who me?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old November 19th 08, 05:52 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

Default You expect Obama to change America, or just waiting for Jesus?

"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message
[...]
You expect Obama to change America, or just waiting for Jesus?

Sometimes too much expection can lead to disillusion, and disillusion

can lead to the Republican Party, so we better become realistic as to
what the real chances are of this brand-new President changing
America.

An unsurmountable debt, two wars, global rising temperatures as well

as tough budgets can make his good performance more of a miracle, and
we know how's the only only that can do miracles...

You quiescing, dancing, subjective wretch. You are a disbelieving,
smegma-encrusted, self-defeating impugner. You are less than a moiling,
forsaken, gusseted wet blanket. You fussing, dotty, off-base toe-jam.
You collapsing, poltroon, tottering farmhand. You gurgling, hueless,
****ing adenoid. You gulping, incognisant, distressed herpes sufferer.
You absconding, squinting, villainous frump. You misconstruing,
bottle-fed, debilitated hand job. You mollifying, fuggy, indigent pile
of faeces. You belaboring, babbling, horsey duck. You excruciating,
milk-livered, babyish drug baron. You gasifying, grungy, hulking retard.
You are a pasturing, pearl necklace-wearing, pettifogging gallows bird.
You foraging, free-swimming, jingling malkin. You are a pumicating,
lacklustre, over-exposed licker. You are a misling, stuck-up, vile
yoghurt eater. You are a nidulating, obsessive-compulsive, potty dog's
groin. You postulating, hygienically challenged, hermaphrodite
fat-mouth. You fagoting, reactionary, ill-formed bat. You are a
sniggling, close-cropped, right-angled knockwurst. You are a pumicating,
red-faced, ladylike corpse. You are a goggling, repugnant, xenophobic
hogfish.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 19th 08, 09:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

KingOfTheApes wrote:

I may be excused from not interpreting your long answer but are not
from not interpreting my short worded solutions...

BIKE FACILITIES (bike lanes and bike facilities) AND/OR TRAFFIC
TAMING.

You can shout all you want, but that isn't the key to safety. The key
to safety is mutual respect between road users.

This side of the Atlantic we are sort of in the Wild West when it
comes to traffic safety: NO LANE DISCIPLINE, NO CONTROL OVER CELL
PHONES, UNREGULATED VEHICLES (SUV'S with deadly bumpers)... and LOTS
OF SPEEDING TICKETS.

The bike facilities doesn't get you out of accidents happening at
junctions because if you want your "facilities" to go anywhere useful
they'll have to intersect with the roads, and so when the bikes are on
the roads the lack of awareness drivers have of bikes will be
exaggerated by their being fewer bikes /except/ at the junctions.

SUVs with deadly bumpers... well, even with "safe" bumpers the real key
is not colliding with vehicles at all. The key to that is mutual
respect, and you don't get that from bike lanes, and any "taming" of the
traffic you otherwise do is coloured by bikes being out of the equation
except at the most dangerous points (junctions).

You think Obama will change that?

No.

I'm also pretty sure that ghettoising cyclists onto half-baked
"facilities" (and experience suggests that outside of places with
existing bicycle culture like NL, Denmark, Germany etc. they *will* be
half baked) won't help either.

No great shortage of "facilities" round here. It's usually quicker and
safer for me to take the roads.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old November 19th 08, 09:45 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Clinch

Tom Keats wrote:

Which part of NL? Amsterdam?

What about the rest of NL?

There didn't seem to be any shortage of grocery shoppers doing the
rounds by bike in Den Haag or Alkmaar when I was there a week ago.

Places I've been in NL where it wouldn't really work are the places
where there's no bike paths anyway, rather than impractical ones.

Pete.
Old November 19th 08, 02:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Clinch

Phil W Lee wrote:
Peter Clinch considered Wed, 19 Nov 2008
08:45:14 +0000 the perfect time to write:

Tom Keats wrote:

Which part of NL? Amsterdam?

What about the rest of NL?

There didn't seem to be any shortage of grocery shoppers doing the
rounds by bike in Den Haag or Alkmaar when I was there a week ago.

Places I've been in NL where it wouldn't really work are the places
where there's no bike paths anyway, rather than impractical ones.

And that would only stop the locals from doing their shopping by bike
path, not by bike-on-road - which many people choose to do even in the
areas that bike paths are available.

Quite so: I didn't mean to imply that with no bike paths you can't shop
safely by bike, just that you can't use a bike path that isn't there.

Pete.
Old November 19th 08, 04:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
KingOfTheApes

On Nov 18, 9:59*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

Dane Buson wrote:

Hello again, I took a wee hiatus when I couldn't be arsed to reconfigure
my leafnode server after a HD change and OS upgrade. *I've been more
than slightly busy with life, but decided to come back and poke around
the newsgroups some.

PLEASE! Usenet is more important than life!

Unforunately neither my boss nor bill collectors would be much inclined
to agree I'm thinking. *And I'm not quite as fond of pig-wrestling as
you are. *Still, I've been posting to the rb.* hierarchy for seven
years, I probably should stick around a little longer.

I think Internet is so important that I'd hesitate to go to Heaven if
it didn't have Internet.
But some of the posters here seem to be brain dead. Particulary Dr.
Evil writing from Hell.

Sometimes you're sadly amusing.

And slightly entertaining.

Who's going to change this beast to admit bicycles, scooters, EVs and
other small vehicles?

Only Jesus or the revolution can, right?

Tom Danielson March 13 1978 - March 13 2008 [email protected] Racing 0 March 13th 08 10:31 AM
Mt. Washington BC nrkist Unicycling 4 August 28th 05 11:21 PM
Washington Post: A Rough Ride for Schwinn Bicycle Ed General 12 December 12th 04 05:24 AM