Hydraulic disc brakes

Old April 3rd 21, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]

Default Hydraulic disc brakes

Recently bled/burped my (Tektro)brakes but the wee screw that goes into
the lever feels like it has stripped. The front lever bleed screw
tightens fully but the bleed screw for the rear just spins .

Do I have no option but to buy a new lever for the rear brakes or does
someone have a way of rescuing the situation ?

I don't want to pay £30 if I don't have too, but if it is too much of a
bodge feel I may have to.

C (or rather the wee hole it fits into).
https://i.postimg.cc/9QxKZXrq/Screenshot-134.png
Old April 4th 21, 02:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]

On 03/04/2021 07:51 pm, soup wrote:

Recently bled/burped my (Tektro)brakes but the wee screw that goes into
the lever feels like it has stripped.* The front lever bleed screw
tightens fully but the bleed screw for the rear just spins .

* Do I have no option but to buy a new lever for the rear brakes or does
someone have a way of rescuing the situation ?

I don't want to pay £30 if I don't have too, but if it is too much of a
bodge feel I may have to.

C (or rather the wee hole it fits into).
https://i.postimg.cc/9QxKZXrq/Screenshot-134.png

It's what the kids call a "no brainer".

£30 cannot possibly outweigh the gains in safety for yourself and other
road-users, plus peace of mind. Don't even feel tempted to be another
Charlie "No Brakes" Alliston.

If I were advised that the brakes on any of the cars needed £300-worth
of attention (let alone just £30), the works would be done asap and
immediately paid for.

Old April 4th 21, 03:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

JNugent wrote:
[...]

I don't understand the problem with 30 for brakes. Dickhead Psycholists on
the dickhead Simon Mason group have many times told us that they make more
money than most people. I long ago stopped reading this group as it is full
of ****** cyclists. Bye bye again ******s.

Old April 4th 21, 03:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 4/04/21 2:19 pm, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 03/04/2021 07:51 pm, soup wrote:

Recently bled/burped my (Tektro)brakes but the wee screw that goes
into the lever feels like it has stripped. The front lever bleed
screw tightens fully but the bleed screw for the rear just spins .

Do I have no option but to buy a new lever for the rear brakes or
does someone have a way of rescuing the situation ?

I don't want to pay Ł30 if I don't have too, but if it is too much
of a bodge feel I may have to.

C (or rather the wee hole it fits into).
https://i.postimg.cc/9QxKZXrq/Screenshot-134.png

It's what the kids call a "no brainer".

Ł30 cannot possibly outweigh the gains in safety for yourself and
other road-users, plus peace of mind. Don't even feel tempted to be
another Charlie "No Brakes" Alliston.

If I were advised that the brakes on any of the cars needed Ł300-worth
of attention (let alone just Ł30), the works would be done asap and
immediately paid for.

I don't understand the problem with Ł30 for brakes. Dickhead Psycholists on
the dickhead Simon Mason group have many times told us that they make more
money than most people. I long ago stopped reading this group as it is full
of ****** cyclists. Bye bye again ******s.

Instead of formal jaws, Pounder has pairs of dental plates that he uses
to grip prey. While he does hunt small organisms, he is also known to
eat large carrion. He grips the decaying matter between his dental
plates and ties himself in knots to tear it open.

Old April 4th 21, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]

On 04/04/2021 02:25, JNugent wrote:
On 03/04/2021 07:51 pm, soup wrote:

Recently bled/burped my (Tektro)brakes but the wee screw that goes into
the lever feels like it has stripped.* The front lever bleed screw
tightens fully but the bleed screw for the rear just spins .

** Do I have no option but to buy a new lever for the rear brakes or does
someone have a way of rescuing the situation ?

I don't want to pay £30 if I don't have too, but if it is too much of a
bodge feel I may have to.

C (or rather the wee hole it fits into).
https://i.postimg.cc/9QxKZXrq/Screenshot-134.png

It's what the kids call a "no brainer".

£30 cannot possibly outweigh the gains in safety for yourself and other
road-users, plus peace of mind. Don't even feel tempted to be another
Charlie "No Brakes" Alliston.

Thanks for that however :-

I have no intention of riding brakeless.
I just didn't fancy the; drill it out, re-tap, place a helicoil in and
replace the screw. I just thought that perhaps someone had an easier method.

Incidently I saw someone yesterday as I was driving to pick my son up
from his work with his foot on his back tyre, as he (presumably) had no
back brake, it didn't look safe at all

If I were advised that the brakes on any of the cars needed £300-worth
of attention (let alone just £30), the works would be done asap and
immediately paid for.

Can you compare stopping a ton traveling at 60MPH with stopping 150lbs
traveling at 10 MPH ?
Just round figures from the 'picked out my butt department'

Old April 4th 21, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]

On 04/04/2021 03:19, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JNugent wrote:
[...]

So you read this group and replied to a post to say you don't read this
group. Mmmm.

Nurse! He's out of bed again.

Old April 4th 21, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_13_]

On 04/04/2021 08:47 am, soup wrote:
[...]

Good.

I just didn't fancy the; drill it out, re-tap, place a helicoil in and
replace the screw. I just thought that perhaps someone had an easier
method.

Pay a professional who has all the tricks of the trade at his (or, at an
outside chance, her) fingertips?

Incidently I saw someone yesterday as I was driving to pick my son up
from his work with his foot on his back tyre, as he (presumably) had no
back brake, it didn't look safe at all

That's the classic "over the handlebars" risk, isn't it?

If I were advised that the brakes on any of the cars needed £300-worth
of attention (let alone just £30), the works would be done asap and
immediately paid for.

*Can you compare stopping a ton traveling at 60MPH with stopping 150lbs
traveling at 10 MPH ?

Easily.

Is there any reason why they shouldn't be compared? Both classes of
vehicle are required by law to have an efficient braking system.

Just round figures from the 'picked out my butt department'

Old April 4th 21, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 3:19:20 AM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
long ago stopped reading this group as it is full
of ****** cyclists.

All of your troll friends have left then?
Old April 5th 21, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]

On 04/04/2021 20:48, JNugent wrote:

Pay a professional who has all the tricks of the trade at his (or, at an
outside chance, her) fingertips?

Mmm pay . Pay to have someone 'fix' an obviously bad system or just buy
new, decisions decisions.
BTW it hardly takes a professional to drill a bit aluminium , throw a
tap through it and insert a helicoil (only problem might be sourcing a
helicoil that is small enough [Eldest son has loads but as he is a car
mechanic all his are humongous things M10- M15 or so])

£30 may not seem a lot (indeed for most it isn't, I spent that last
night on a carry out meal for me and the lad because I couldn't be
bothered cooking), but for the cost of (maybe) a few pence doesn't it
make sense to ask if anyone has a method for doing it much cheaper (and
just as good).