Bulletproof Accessories for Bikers?

Old September 6th 03, 11:48 PM
Benjamin Enriquez

Default Bulletproof Accessories for Bikers?

Hi Steve,
Understand your problem. If you get hit without warning, nothing will/can
stop that, even Kevlar. The best you can do is workout a system where your
weapon is readily accessible, you do have a weapon don't you, then become as
proficient with it as you can. Think of it as cleaning out the gene pool a
bit. Remember, on a bike under that type of attack, you are in fear for
your life. I've only had to fire three rounds, all three were placed into
the vehicle from approx 10yds, their facial expressions, as the saying goes,
were priceless. Expected follow-up problems on the remainder of my ride,
none developed from any quarter. Nothing in the papers afterwards, so my
aim was a little off.
Whatever you may think of this, remember.... I DID NOT START the problem,
and I was on a bicycle.

~~ O ~\
~~~ \_ / \ % \
~ ( ® ) =====/ ( o )

"Steve McDonald" wrote in message

Does anyone know of a good source of Kevlar or other types of
bulletproof vests, suitable for bicyclists? How about helmets and
fairings that would deflect bullets? I think I may need such things if
I'm going to continue riding on remote roads in my area.

Several days ago, a rider on a small motorcycle was gunned down by
a flurry of shots from Yahoos in a high-axle, oversized pickup with a
row of spotlights on top. He was riding on McGowan Creek Rd., NE of
Eugene, which has been one of my favorite places for a climbing workout.
He was struck in the shoulder, but was able to continue and evade his
attackers. He then rode home, where someone drove him to an emergency
room. It's obvious that these *******s intended to kill him and
apparently regard picking off bikers as great sport. They're still
running loose and I imagine that a bicycle rider would be just as good a
target for them.

Last Winter, a mile from home, some teenagers with a CO2-powered,
semi-automatic firing BB gun, sent about a dozen shots at me, as I rode
by them at night. Only a couple BBs hit me and just bounced off, but a
hit in an eye would have been disastrous. That's when I started wearing
clear, wraparound goggles at night. The kids ran like jackrabbits up a
railroad track and were never caught. As society gets crazier, these
kinds of incidents are happening more often. It's another good argument
for riding on separate bikepaths, where motorists are absent and
drugged-out psychos are less numerous.

Another recent incident involved about a dozen guys, hopped up on
meth, charging out of a house at me, as I rode my bike slowly by on the
sidewalk at 2 am. They screamed and cursed at me, saying I had no right
to pass in front of their house. The head thug was about 5' 10" and 425
lbs. When he lunged at my bike, to knock me off, he tripped and fell.
I almost made the mistake of stopping, but wisely decided to keep going
and left the horde behind. A friend on foot has also been attacked by
them, but ran them off with the heavy, 3-foot "death stick" he carries.
The response of the police to these incidents was to tell us to stay
away from their house. They claimed to have some surveillance on them
and didn't want to make any premature moves before a big bust sometime
in the future. I've heard this same story from the cops before. Would
they really tell you, if they had such plans?

Steve McDonald

Old September 6th 03, 11:54 PM
Rick Onanian

This is so unbelievable, it sounds lik a troll.

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 14:41:12 -0700 (PDT), Steve McDonald
wrote:
Does anyone know of a good source of Kevlar or other types of
bulletproof vests, suitable for bicyclists? How about helmets and
fairings that would deflect bullets? I think I may need such things if
I'm going to continue riding on remote roads in my area.

Sorry, I can't imagine where to get that stuff.

Several days ago, a rider on a small motorcycle was gunned down by
a flurry of shots from Yahoos in a high-axle, oversized pickup with a
row of spotlights on top. He was riding on McGowan Creek Rd., NE of
Eugene, which has been one of my favorite places for a climbing workout.

I just looked this up. In Oregon, then?

He was struck in the shoulder, but was able to continue and evade his
attackers. He then rode home, where someone drove him to an emergency
room. It's obvious that these *******s intended to kill him and
apparently regard picking off bikers as great sport. They're still
running loose and I imagine that a bicycle rider would be just as good a
target for them.

A bicycle rider wouldn't be protected by bulletproof
clothing. A high-axle, oversized pickup can't win
the race against a motorcycle, but can easily enough
run you over, unless you can find some REALLY dense
forest, where the trees are too closely spaced to
fit the truck but the surface is smooth enough for
your bike.

semi-automatic firing BB gun, sent about a dozen shots at me, as I rode

kinds of incidents are happening more often. It's another good argument
for riding on separate bikepaths, where motorists are absent and
drugged-out psychos are less numerous.

It sounds like a good argument for carrying a
loaded pistol, to me.

Another recent incident involved about a dozen guys, hopped up on
meth, charging out of a house at me, as I rode my bike slowly by on the

Okay, forget the gun. It sounds to me like you're
pretty dumb to keep riding in the face of all
that danger.

Maybe you should find a different place to ride.

How can you stand to live in such an area? And
without your own handgun, and a permit to carry
it (if required)?

The response of the police to these incidents was to tell us to stay
away from their house. They claimed to have some surveillance on them
and didn't want to make any premature moves before a big bust sometime
in the future. I've heard this same story from the cops before. Would
they really tell you, if they had such plans?

Maybe. If they don't take action soon, you might
try writing a letter or an article for your
local newspaper. Let the whole community know!

Of course, then you'll be subject to harassment
by the cops.

Steve McDonald

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 7th 03, 03:07 AM
Steve McDonald

Rick Onanian wrote:

This is so unbelievable, it sounds like a troll.
How can you stand to live in such a place?
You need to find a different place to ride. Etc.

Here's a link to the article about the motorcyclist being shot,
from our local newspaper. Scroll down to the middle of the text in this
"Briefly" section for the unheadlined beginning of the story.
http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...gest.0903.html

As for these incidents I described, I don't think things around
here are any worse or different than in other parts of the country or
the world. We generally have a low level of violent crime here, but as
overpopulation and its conflicts sweep over us all, our region suffers
along with everywhere else.

I do ride many other places, but thugs like those in that pickup
"gunship" may be anyplace I could go. In fact, I wouldn't expect that
bunch to return to that road soon, but to go hunting some distance away.

As for arming myself, it would be futile in avoiding random and
unexpected assaults from passing vehicles. When I went through a police
academy, I tied another cadet for the highest score in pistol shooting,
but I'd likely accomplish nothing but getting myself in deep trouble if
I tried to use that ability on the road. A friend who takes long hikes
on the local roads and trails every day, has carried a concealed pistol
for 10 years. He has never had occasion to draw it, which is to his
credit.
However, he says the first day he left it behind, would be when he would
need it. Its value to him is that it makes him feel more secure. If I
packed one, I'd feel less secure, knowing what I might be goaded into
doing with it. I'd like to think my self-control would win out, but who
knows what could happen? After all, I have been known to ride a
mountain bike, on occasion.

The threat of having a gun to use is much more effective than in
actually using it. But, if it's concealed, how would it have any value
to ward off assaults? Only if people knew you had a hidden weapon,
would it be a deterent and then someone might pick you off with a sucker
shot.

In 3 years as a policeman, I drew my .45 just 3 times, never firing
it. I was shot only once, by "friendly" fire from another officer, who
should neither have drawn nor fired his weapon at an undetermined
target, not considering that I was in the line of fire, some distance
away. Most often, when people fire guns at others, much more trouble is
generated, than is solved. I've never yet encountered a threat against
which I might have effectively used a gun, that I wasn't able to either
avoid or resolve without firing one. Obviously, my military service
came in peacetime. If we get invaded by an armed enemy, everything I
just stated is suspended.

Steve McDonald

Old September 7th 03, 03:51 AM
Peter Gardner

If we get invaded by an armed enemy, everything I
just stated is suspended.

Some would say that our enemy is here, and armed with cars. I wouldn't
completely disagree with that.

Peter
Old September 7th 03, 09:06 AM
Hunrobe

(Steve McDonald)

wrote in part:

Several days ago, a rider on a small motorcycle was gunned down by
a flurry of shots from Yahoos in a high-axle, oversized pickup with a
row of spotlights on top. He was riding on McGowan Creek Rd., NE of
Eugene, which has been one of my favorite places for a climbing workout.
He was struck in the shoulder, but was able to continue and evade his
attackers. He then rode home, where someone drove him to an emergency
room. It's obvious that these *******s intended to kill him and
apparently regard picking off bikers as great sport. They're still
running loose and I imagine that a bicycle rider would be just as good a
target for them.

Don't believe everything you read and when you do read something try reading
carefully. I read the article and it turns out that your "flurry of shots" was
one shot and far from being "gunned down" the wounded person *drove home* and
called the police. He didn't drive to the hospital or the police station. He
went home. This gave him time to think up a story, one the police couldn't
easily disprove and one likely to be much better for him than the truth would
be. IOW, he *lied* so you can rest easy. Nobody's gunning for you.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old September 7th 03, 10:03 AM
Steve McDonald

Bob Hunt wrote:

Don't believe everything you read------

Well, you didn't read either my message or the linked article as
carefully as you might have. The article stated that the victim said he
heard several shots at the time he was hit in the shoulder. I included
in my posting a reference about how he had ridden home after the
incident.

Your presumption that this biker was lying and fabricated the
incident is unfounded. No evidence of this has been presented and
unless you have a secret line of information, you couldn't know one way
or the other. I believe you mentioned once that you are a police
officer. It's not encouraging that a policeman would be that cynical
and disbelieving of a claim made about a potentially deadly assault,
without any more knowledge of it than this.

Steve McDonald

Old September 7th 03, 05:15 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
newsan.2003.09.07.14.28.19.506421@prestoncrawfor d.com...
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:41:12 -0700, Steve McDonald wrote:

Does anyone know of a good source of Kevlar or other types of
bulletproof vests, suitable for bicyclists? How about helmets and
fairings that would deflect bullets? I think I may need such things if
I'm going to continue riding on remote roads in my area.

** amazing stories snipped **

Sweet Jesus, I'd consider moving before buying Kevlar. It sounds like
where you live is Freaking Thunderdome.

I live in Beaverton, Oregon and I can gladly say in my 3 years commuting
in Beaverton, Portland and other parts of the metro area I've never had a
single object thrown at me, much less been shot at.

I've had things thrown at me in the Bay Area, and NOT East Palo Alto or
Hunters Point, but in Cupertino and Dublin. I'm no NRA nut, but I'm
considering arming myself if I keep commuting by bicycle.

In San Francisco, probably 10 years or so ago, some punk tried to
knock a guy off his bike, presumably to steal it. The bicyclist shot
and killed him and took off. They never found the bicyclist, but I
doubt if they spent a lot of time looking either.

Old September 7th 03, 06:13 PM
Jym Dyer

Sweet Jesus, I'd consider moving before buying Kevlar.
It sounds like where you live is Freaking Thunderdome.

=v= I have some Kevlar bike tires ... does that help?

In San Francisco, probably 10 years or so ago, some punk
tried to knock a guy off his bike, presumably to steal it.
The bicyclist shot and killed him and took off. They never
found the bicyclist, but I doubt if they spent a lot of
time looking either.

=v= Even weirder, a *third* party arrived on the scene
immediately and stole the bike. And this all took place in
Pacific Heights (a.k.a. "Specific Whites"), a ritzy part of
town.
_Jym_
Old September 7th 03, 11:52 PM
Slider2699

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
newsan.2003.09.07.14.28.19.506421@prestoncrawfor d.com...
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:41:12 -0700, Steve McDonald wrote:

Does anyone know of a good source of Kevlar or other types of
bulletproof vests, suitable for bicyclists? How about helmets and
fairings that would deflect bullets? I think I may need such things if
I'm going to continue riding on remote roads in my area.

** amazing stories snipped **

Sweet Jesus, I'd consider moving before buying Kevlar. It sounds like
where you live is Freaking Thunderdome.

Indeed. I live in redneck Florida and haven't heard anything close to what
the OP describes. I've have a couple of half full beer cans tossed at me,
and a few "nice shorts" comments, but no serious violence. Big problem here
is pit bulls. Jesus, do they issue a pit bull with purchase of a mobile
home? On my regular commuting route I usually encounter three aggressive pit
bulls. Sometimes the owners have the gates closed, and sometimes they don't.
It makes the ride interesting, to say the least.

Old September 8th 03, 02:46 AM
garmonboezia

"Slider2699" wrote in
m:

[...]

Sounds like a chance for good sprint training. The serious ones don't
bark or growl, they just try to circle around you.