How to open a power link

Old April 6th 04, 11:58 PM
taywood

Default How to open a power link

http://pog.org.uk/chain.jpg should do it.

Old April 7th 04, 12:55 AM
ZeeExSixAre

"taywood" wrote in message
http://pog.org.uk/chain.jpg should do it.

You must be careful. With repeated disconnects, you wear away the flange
that keeps it together. If you disconnect/reconnect it enough times, you
will eventually cause it to come off as you're riding over rough
terrain/small jumps. I lost my Powerlink 3 times on an urban ride... I
found it each time, once in a gravel parking lot, once in a pile of dry
leaves, and once on regular pavement. It was... fun... to say the least.

The chain becomes useless as an MTB chain and you'll be relegated to its use
on a fixie or a road bike.

The trick is to compress the Powerlink together (in the lateral direction
while on the bike) before applying longitudinal forces. Having the chain be
exceptionally clean at the interface helps significantly, because then dirt
and grit doesn't expand the width of the chain and it's easier to attach and
detach.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 7th 04, 07:50 AM
Michael Paul

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote in message

"taywood" wrote in message
[...]

I've taken mine off more times than I can remember. we're not talking
hundreds but I often take it off for a good soaking/cleansing. I've never
lost mine while actually riding. I carry a spare one in my pack just in
case I ever need it though.

Michael

Old April 7th 04, 08:23 AM
ZeeExSixAre

"taywood" wrote in message
[...]

Going through terrain that causes the chain to go slack and bounce the hell
around seemed to be the prime conditions for my PL to hop off. Maybe mine
was a serious fluke.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 7th 04, 11:40 AM
Michael Dart

In ,
ZeeExSixAre typed:
Going through terrain that causes the chain to go slack and bounce
the hell around seemed to be the prime conditions for my PL to hop
off. Maybe mine was a serious fluke.

You may want to pick up a new PL Phil. I run them on my DH bikes with no
problems.

Mike

Old April 7th 04, 03:41 PM
TJ

"taywood" wrote in message
http://pog.org.uk/chain.jpg should do it.

No tools are needed.

TJ
www.gvii.net/hundtoft

Old April 7th 04, 04:05 PM
Michael Paul

"ZeeExSixAre" wrote in message

SNIP

Going through terrain that causes the chain to go slack and bounce the

hell
around seemed to be the prime conditions for my PL to hop off. Maybe mine
was a serious fluke.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

As Miles, Sorni, et. al. can attest, I don't think San Diego has ever been
accused of having extremely buff and smooth trails! sounds like maybe your
powerlink is worn or otherwise not holding as well as it should. Or, the
notch in the pins that actually accepts the plate and holds the whole thing
together may simply be full of crap preventing a solid junction.

I'm not discounting that repeated removal of the link can cause wear but as
often as I take mine off it seems to work just fine. then again, maybe mine
is the fluke and it worked out in my favor! ;-)

Michael

Old April 8th 04, 04:11 AM
D H

"Chris Phillipo" wrote in message
.. .

I think many people use the same powerlink even across several shimano
chains, so even with 4 times as many miles ont he link as the current
chain it's holding together they still seem to work fine.

That has not been my experience. I have had problems with gold
powerlinks lately, including brand new ones on new chains failing in about
10-15 rides. Previous to that, I had problems trying to extend the useful
life by using old ones on a new PC99 chain. They usually were fine for a
while but failed probably half way through the chain's life. Recent failures
have occurred when the end of one side of the link just snapped right off.
I'm only 155-160 pounds and probably not super-strong either, though I'm
above average for my weight, I guess. I'm not sure if SRAM had some bad
links or not, but my previous high opinion of them has been slightly tested
of late. I hope things smooth out from now on.
I now use the new link with a new chain, and keep the old ones (if still
intact) for spares just to get me out of the woods if needed. I also carry a
new powerlink at all times, mainly because I don't trust the old ones any
longer.

I have never seen the flange "wear out". If you don't close it properly

and you
stand on the pedals it will wreck the flange though.

I don't think this has been my problem, but I can't say with certainty.
Failure HAS been when standing on the pedals, though. OUCH. :-(
--
D N
I E T S

Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

Old April 8th 04, 06:13 AM
ZeeExSixAre

"D H" wrote in message

[...]

See? I told you all so!

Maybe all you pansies need to exert some real force on your pedals

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 8th 04, 03:56 PM
kantspel

Hey, thanks for that. I've always been able to get powelinks apart but
never easily. Last night I was turning the chameleon into a SS and the
image of that diagram popped in my head, worked like a charm.