Clipless Pedals? Additional question

Old August 25th 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Clipless Pedals? Additional question

BigP wrote:

Clipping out is similar with both: rotate to release. There is a version of
Shimano cleat that also releases by pulling upwards (sharply) - not a great
idea, imo.

If you're speaking of multi-release cleats, that's not really how they
work. M-R cleats release, in addition to the twisting motion, with a
roll of the foot. They don't release by pulling up hard -- or are not
designed to, anyway.
Old August 25th 09, 01:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigP

Peter Cole wrote:
BigP wrote:

Clipping out is similar with both: rotate to release. There is a
version of Shimano cleat that also releases by pulling upwards
(sharply) - not a great idea, imo.

If you're speaking of multi-release cleats, that's not really how they
work. M-R cleats release, in addition to the twisting motion, with a
roll of the foot. They don't release by pulling up hard -- or are not
designed to, anyway.

Thanks for the correction.

How much does the foot have to be rolled for the cleat to release? Sounds a
good for releasing early in a crash, but of course I wouldn't want it
releasing accidentally if I just stretch my leg slightly awkwardly or
something.

Old August 26th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Big Pomegranate wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
BigP wrote:

Clipping out is similar with both: rotate to release. There is a
version of Shimano cleat that also releases by pulling upwards
(sharply) - not a great idea, imo.

If you're speaking of multi-release cleats, that's not really how they
work. M-R cleats release, in addition to the twisting motion, with a
roll of the foot. They don't release by pulling up hard -- or are not
designed to, anyway.

Thanks for the correction.

How much does the foot have to be rolled for the cleat to release? Sounds a
good for releasing early in a crash, but of course I wouldn't want it
releasing accidentally if I just stretch my leg slightly awkwardly or
something.

I switched from multi-release to single release due to accidentally
coming unclipped when sprinting hard a couple of times.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Celebrity culture is an opposite of community, informing us
Old August 26th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

BigP wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
BigP wrote:

Clipping out is similar with both: rotate to release. There is a
version of Shimano cleat that also releases by pulling upwards
(sharply) - not a great idea, imo.

If you're speaking of multi-release cleats, that's not really how they
work. M-R cleats release, in addition to the twisting motion, with a
roll of the foot. They don't release by pulling up hard -- or are not
designed to, anyway.

Thanks for the correction.

How much does the foot have to be rolled for the cleat to release? Sounds a
good for releasing early in a crash, but of course I wouldn't want it
releasing accidentally if I just stretch my leg slightly awkwardly or
something.

I don't know what the roll angle to release is exactly, but it's
significant, much like the twist angle.

I've used M-R cleat exclusively on & off road for over 10 years. I can't
say I've ever had an unintentional release, nor have I had my foot
trapped in a crash. For me, the rolling foot motion to release is more
natural than the twist. I run my release tension very low.

Old August 27th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
Big Pomegranate wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
BigP wrote:

Clipping out is similar with both: rotate to release. There is a
version of Shimano cleat that also releases by pulling upwards
(sharply) - not a great idea, imo.
If you're speaking of multi-release cleats, that's not really how they
work. M-R cleats release, in addition to the twisting motion, with a
roll of the foot. They don't release by pulling up hard -- or are not
designed to, anyway.

Thanks for the correction.

How much does the foot have to be rolled for the cleat to release?
Sounds a good for releasing early in a crash, but of course I
wouldn't want it releasing accidentally if I just stretch my leg
slightly awkwardly or something.

I switched from multi-release to single release due to accidentally
coming unclipped when sprinting hard a couple of times.

On a recumbent?

One with the BB about 2 inches above seat height.

Old August 27th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
Big Pomegranate wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
BigP wrote:

[...]

I've wondered about how secure SPD's are with that kind of seating,
given that the spring loaded bar is on the back of the cleat. I'd think
that, particularly with bumps, the weight of the leg might bear on the
spring.
Old August 28th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
Big Pomegranate wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
BigP wrote:

[...]

Could be, since I have not had accidental release on a lower BB bike.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Celebrity culture is an opposite of community, informing us
that these few nonsense-heads matter but that the rest of
us do not. - Jay Griffiths

Clipless Pedals? Additional question Sir Ridesalot Techniques 2 August 25th 09 08:52 PM
clipless pedals Adam Lea UK 23 July 13th 07 11:54 PM
Another go at clipless pedals Joseph Australia 15 December 11th 06 11:23 PM
Newbie Clipless Pedals Question Larry Gray General 2 October 14th 04 06:48 PM
Clipless pedals gavin UK 35 March 21st 04 04:46 PM