Handlebar Failure

Old January 27th 04, 04:58 PM
Alex Rodriguez

Default Handlebar Failure

In article ,
says...

Unfortunately the bars are out of my hands now. I just took the bike
to the LBS who said that they would need to send them off to Modolo if
I wanted warranty replacement on them.

I mentioned clamp overtightening and the LBS guy said they would have
not over-tightened it because they tighten stem clamps to 5Nm. I
mentioned measuring an internal diameter of 25.5mm, he stated it was a
3TTT stem and that all tehir stems are 25.8, and that there is no
chance they would have over-tightened it. This in turn brings up the
point that assuming this is the case, then at the 6-week service they
either [1] tightened it to 5Nm to reduce the creaking, meaning it was
not tightened to spec to start with; or [2] used some other method to
reduce the squeaking but lied and told me they had just tightened the
clamp (unlikely); or of course [3] over-tightened the clamp. (I didn't
think to mention this at the time, but I guess they could have just
said "yeah, we didn't tighten to 5Nm to start with, so what?")

I wonder if the problem is not related to using Modolo bars, which I have
only seen in a 25.4 and 26.0 size in a TTT stem that is 25.8?
----------
Alex

Old January 28th 04, 06:35 AM
A Muzi

In article ,
says...

-snip-

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
I wonder if the problem is not related to using Modolo bars, which I have
only seen in a 25.4 and 26.0 size in a TTT stem that is 25.8?
----------

AFAIK, 25.8 and 26.0 bars/stems have never presented a fit
problem. Anyone else?

Asqui, your LBS may have a point someplace in all that. If
it were my place, I'd consider myself lucky you were not
maimed and give you a bar with an apology. And some tape too.

In 1986, our customer asked for a handlebar change on a new
bike. Our employee did not properly tighten the bolt. He
crashed at the stoplight a half block away.

My partner was tearing up his check while I was prepping the
next more expensive bike to give him. We laughed about that
after he left. Anyone who's been responsible for a human
injury would do the same and be glad it was only a bike.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old January 28th 04, 05:35 PM
asqui

A Muzi wrote in message ...
Asqui, your LBS may have a point someplace in all that. If
it were my place, I'd consider myself lucky you were not
maimed and give you a bar with an apology. And some tape too.

Well, maybe not an apology but they did replace it for free.

The LBS guy tried to call me yesterday and left a message. When I went
in today to ask what he wanted to speak to me about he asked how many
times I'd fallen off the bike. I told him once only, but on the right
hand side. He said that it's important to check the situation after
falls because they can have quite an impact (pardon the pun) on
aluminium handlebars.

Then he told me that Modolo replaced it out of goodwill, and that
because they didn't have any bars of that model in stock they fitted a
similar model of 3TTT bars (THE). (I wanted to explore the various
bars options if they were going to do that, and possibly pay the
difference for a more expensive pair, but I was left with the
impression that they would fit an exact replacement which would be
supplied by Modolo. Oh well. And I also forgot to tell them that I'd
prefer to revert to black tape because that bright blue didn't really
match much to start with... oh well... I guess it'll dull with use --
maybe I can even make it black in time

Dani

Old January 29th 04, 05:54 AM
A Muzi

asqui wrote:
[...]

Hats off to them for doing the decent thing.

And because some of this is unknowable ( defect? crash?)
you might do something nice for them, too. (customer
referrals and beer are appreciated by management and staff
respectively)

Old January 29th 04, 07:21 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Then he told me that Modolo replaced it out of goodwill, and that
because they didn't have any bars of that model in stock they fitted a
similar model of 3TTT bars (THE). (I wanted to explore the various
bars options if they were going to do that, and possibly pay the
difference for a more expensive pair, but I was left with the
impression that they would fit an exact replacement which would be
supplied by Modolo. Oh well.

In all likelihood the more expensive bars would have probably been more
fragile. The THE is a workhorse bar that should give you no grief (it's
found on quite a few of the bikes we sell).

Actually, I'm still concerned about the stem on your bike. Seems to me that
a stem with a wider faceplate reduces the leverage on the bar where it's
clamped, and the stem shown in the photo looked pretty narrow. There are
quite a few light, not-too-expensive stems with wide, removable faceplates.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"asqui" wrote in message
om...

Old January 29th 04, 09:21 PM
asqui

A Muzi wrote in message ...
Hats off to them for doing the decent thing.

And because some of this is unknowable ( defect? crash?)
you might do something nice for them, too. (customer
referrals and beer are appreciated by management and staff
respectively)

Heh, to be honest this shop has such a good rep already that I doubt I
could find a cyclist in the area who doesn't know of them. I remember
when I first got into cycling I had about five different people
recommend that shop to me.

I was wondering actually if any of the guys from there kept up with
usenet. To be honest I get the impression that they are too busy to
have the time for usenet. But who knows... it'd be amusing if they
were following this thread -- Hi guys! Love you

Dani / asqui
Old January 29th 04, 09:30 PM
asqui

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message .com...
In all likelihood the more expensive bars would have probably been more
fragile. The THE is a workhorse bar that should give you no grief (it's
found on quite a few of the bikes we sell).

Thanks for the encouraging words. Are you at all familiar with the
Modolo T-Poc? Could you draw me a little picture of how the two
compare? (Well, not literally a picture...) For example, do you have
any idea how much the THE weighs? Just out of interest... (I couldn't
find the 3TTT website.)

Actually, I'm still concerned about the stem on your bike. Seems to me that
a stem with a wider faceplate reduces the leverage on the bar where it's
clamped, and the stem shown in the photo looked pretty narrow. There are
quite a few light, not-too-expensive stems with wide, removable faceplates.

Well, that's a possibility. Personally I'm more concerned about the
lines that were scored on the previous bars (seemingly by the edges of
stem clamp). The LBS guy seemed remarkably unconcerned about the fact
that there was a scratch on the other side of the clamp, which
perfectly matched the scratch along which the failure occured. He
didn't mention the clamp-width impact either.

*shrug* I think I'll just take my chances and keep a close eye on this
one, try not to crash it, and get it checked out after a couple of
thousand miles.

Dani / asqui
Old January 29th 04, 10:59 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Thanks for the encouraging words. Are you at all familiar with the
Modolo T-Poc? Could you draw me a little picture of how the two
compare? (Well, not literally a picture...) For example, do you have
any idea how much the THE weighs? Just out of interest... (I couldn't
find the 3TTT website.)

Sorry, but I haven't seen any T-Poc bars, so I can't make a comparison.
Actually, right now I don't even have a THE bar in stock, just THE stems!

The new website for 3TTT will be found at www.3TTT.com (but it's not yet
up).

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles