Rail Trails

Old January 24th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

Default Rail Trails

I enjoyed the pictures. Is there any wildlife along that trai?. Being
rural, along the route I described, there are lots of indigenous
species to encounter, including but not limited to ... rabbit,
squirrel, chipmunk, raccoon, deer and and an occasional skunk, fox,
woodchuck (groundhog), coyote, turtle, frog, toad and a very wide
variety of birds.

Jim

On Jan 24, 10:05 am, "Jeff Grippe" wrote:
I have done sections of the GAP and there is a thread about it in this ng.
If you want to see pictures from that trip go to

http://groups.msn.com/grippesphotos/railtrail2005.msnw

That trip from 2005 include a trail in MD that was paved, Several sections
of the GAP, and some trails in Morgantown, WV which are not part of the GAP
but were quite fun to ride.

Jeff

PS there are also pictures of what is left of my trike, etc.

"JimmyMac" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Jeff Grippe wrote:
Speaking of rail trails (I was in my last message), I believe that the
"Great Allegheny Passage" rail trail is either complete or very close to
it.
This would mean that you could ride for over 300 miles from Pittsburgh to
Washington DC and never have to share the road with an automobile. I rode
portions of it a few years ago and it was just a delight. Some spots
weren't
so pretty but most of it was and all of it was car free.

I wonder what the longest "car free" rides are in the US. Does anyone
know
of anything longer?

Jeff

That's one long trail and probably more suitable for commuting than a
daily jaunt simply because of its length. If ever you explore more of
it, I'd like to hear your impression. Fortunately, I live near the far
northern end of Chicago removed from the busier urban area, so I am
able to take advantage of rural trails and rural roads without even
having to drive to a starting point. The trail I previously mentioned
that parallels the north branch of the Chicago river through the forest
preserves, is only 2.3 miles from my house and extend for 15+ mile up
into a beautiful botanical garden. From there, one can ride another 1
1/2 miles on the road to another trail that extends another 8 miles and
runs along side a railroad track. At its end, it is a ride of less
than a mil to link up with still another trail that also run along
sided of another railroad track. Along the serene, rural route, the
rustic scenery constantly changes as one passes by and/or along rivers,
gardens, golf courses, riding stables and farms. Round trip is around
70 miles and only about 10 of those miles (read approximately 14%) are
on the road, but I am comfortable riding roads. If anyone is ever down
my way I'd be more that happy to ride this route with them.

Jim

Old January 26th 07, 03:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:s_KdnfqV7Mf_virYnZ2dnUVZ_oOonZ2d@prairiewave. com...

Jeff is not interested in urban bike trails. He lives just north of New
York City and there are plenty of bike trails like the ones you think are
so great near him already. He wants some rural trails to ride. Maybe if
you got out of your freaking Chicagoland every now and then you would
know your ass from a hole in the ground, but admittedly, that is a long
shot.

Don't speak for me Ed. You may be a saint but you aren't my saint. There
are trails now that go up and down both the east side and west side of
Manhattan and I believe that they will soon connect at the battery
downtown.

I've ridden the west side trail. It was absolutely delightful. Once I'm
better I'm looking forward to riding the whole thing from the upper west
side, around the batter, and up the east side.

I've ridden the 5 boro bike tour many times and always enjoyed [it].

Those urban bike trails in NYC are like the ones that exist in Chicago.

If all Jeff wants is to ride some urban bike trails, he should stay where he
is at. There are no better urban bike trails anywhere in the nation than
those in NYC.

Yea, leave the rural trails to those of us who know how to appreciate them.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 28th 07, 01:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Causer

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:32:47 -0800, Dan B. wrote:

Assuming that "to metal them" refers to paving with asphalt, macadam,
chipseal, or some related substance, most of the GAP has not been
metaled.

That is "sealed". "Road metal" is broken stone, which could be crushed
and rolled flat, or just thrown down. I would take it that "metaled
road" does imply some sort of smooth-ish surface but not necessarily
sealed.

The majority of the GAP, and most rail-trails in the southwestern
Pennsylvania region, are made hiker/biker-friendly by removing rails,
ties, and ballast, then spreading a thick bed of crushed limestone. Not
nearly as nice to ride as smooth asphalt, but substantially more
pleasant than gravel and dirt, and less expensive in terms of both
material cost and labor to put in place.

These are becoming more common in the UK, particularly to improve old
footpaths, river-side towpaths and old rail beds. The surface is OK,
but has a tendency to wash away in storms, and of course horses can cut
it up badly.

Here's a local one: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/location/10320/

Mike

Who needs a rail adaptor? KcTheAcy Unicycling 30 May 20th 08 04:52 AM
Rail Adapters? pdc Unicycling 4 August 8th 05 11:37 AM
trails at Santas Village, and other Ontario trails Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 0 August 12th 04 12:59 AM
Rail trails : first impressions Andrew Price Australia 31 October 20th 03 06:55 AM
Rail Trails under fire in U.S. Senate, time to write your Senator Brent Hugh General 0 July 4th 03 04:53 PM