9/11...5th Anniversary

Old September 11th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

Default 9/11...5th Anniversary

OK, granted this is off topic, but this is not just any ordinary day.
Besides much of what is posted here is off topic, right Mr. Dolan???

Today is the 5th anniversay of a date that few will ever forget. Most
will recall exactly where they were and what they were doing when their
daily routine was shattered by the news of horrific proportions. Today,
I have been virtually glued to the History Channel. Days following the
events surrounding 9/11, I was moved to write how I fealt at the
time...

No longer will we have the luxury to go about our daily lives, shrouded
in a false sense of security. Our national psyche has been dealt a
severe blow. The morning of September 11th 2001 ushered in the dawn of
a frightening new world, one fraught with peril and uncertainty.
September 11th was one of the darkest days in our country's history; a
date that will be permanently etched on our communal consciousness and
collective memory as the day that freedom came under attack.

The horrifying events that shattered the serenity of the early morning
hours, rocked our nation and left its residents traumatized in a grief
stricken aftermath. I sat transfixed in front of the television,
disheartened and numbed by the brutal, devastating scenes of carnage,
scenes that confronted us all with a grim, incomprehensible reality.
Broadcast around the globe were what appeared to be cataclysmic images
from a disaster movie, born of a Hollywood special effects team, only
this wasn't a movie.

These tragic events exploited the naive vulnerabilities of a free world
nation and exposed an egregious failure within its intelligence
community. The level of precision and the enormity of scale of this
methodical, systematic attack were unprecedented. This was a
catastrophe of unparalleled proportion. It left our nation's residents
anguished and stunned into a state of shock and disbelief. These
senseless acts of barbarism have a reach and consequence that extends
far beyond our national borders. A seething current of outrage and
anger is emergent, galvanizing the free world. A clamor for retribution
is being echoed by a cacophony of voices, both here and abroad. The
unanimity of the message is unambiguous. For far too long, the
collective free world has been held hostage by the evil menace of
terrorism. Freedom is a value that is cherished, and freedom will be
defended. The unconscionable, heinous atrocities of 9/11 will not go
unpunished.

If there is any measure of solace to be derived from this disaster, it
is that this heart wrenching reality will serve to galvanize nations
into a geopolitical/military coalition, one with a concerted resolve to
extinguish the scourge and tyranny of global terrorism. When the
responsible parties are identified, I anticipate that swift and
formidable reprisal will follow. This is the only response that a
terrorist understands. With eager anticipation, I anxiously await the
day when the terrorist becomes the victim ... when terror comes home to
the terrorist.

Jim McNamara

Old September 12th 06, 02:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Default Ford Pinto, 36th Anniversary (was: 9/11...5th Anniversary)

JimmyMac wrote:
OK, granted this is off topic, but this is not just any ordinary day.

Yup, it rained in much of the Upper Midwest, not a great day for
cycling.

Besides much of what is posted here is off topic, right Mr. Dolan???

Today is the 5th anniversay of a date that few will ever forget.

Today is the 36th anniversary of the introduction of the Ford Pinto,
for which the day will live in infamy (as for the Pinto based Mustang
II, let's not go there).

Most
will recall exactly where they were and what they were doing when their
daily routine was shattered by the news of horrific proportions.

If I recall correctly, I was eating a generic granola bar.

Today, I have been virtually glued to the History Channel.

Take your P-38 out on the North Branch Trail, man! The fresh air will
do you good.

Days following the
events surrounding 9/11, I was moved to write how I fealt at the time...

And...

No longer will we have the luxury to go about our daily lives, shrouded
in a false sense of security.

Yes, the Ford Pinto was a wake up call that the US automobile industry
needed to change its ways.

Our national psyche has been dealt a severe blow.
The morning of September 11th 2001 ushered in the dawn of
a frightening new world, one fraught with peril and uncertainty.
September 11th was one of the darkest days in our country's history; a
date that will be permanently etched on our communal consciousness and
collective memory as the day that freedom came under attack.

Imagine being forced to use Schrader valves on your bicycle!

The horrifying events that shattered the serenity of the early morning
hours, rocked our nation and left its residents traumatized in a grief
stricken aftermath. I sat transfixed in front of the television,
disheartened and numbed by the brutal, devastating scenes of carnage,
scenes that confronted us all with a grim, incomprehensible reality.
Broadcast around the globe were what appeared to be cataclysmic images
from a disaster movie, born of a Hollywood special effects team, only
this wasn't a movie.

I had chocolate. See http://www.lindt.com/2865/2866.asp. Mmmm...,
chocolate.

These tragic events exploited the naive vulnerabilities of a free world
nation and exposed an egregious failure within its intelligence
community. The level of precision and the enormity of scale of this
methodical, systematic attack were unprecedented. This was a
catastrophe of unparalleled proportion.

You have just hurt the feelings of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. Remember
that little incident on Oahu on December 7, 1941?

It left our nation's residents
anguished and stunned into a state of shock and disbelief. These
senseless acts of barbarism have a reach and consequence that extends
far beyond our national borders. A seething current of outrage and
anger is emergent, galvanizing the free world.

The free world, covered in a layer of zinc! What a moment!

A clamor for retribution
is being echoed by a cacophony of voices, both here and abroad. The
unanimity of the message is unambiguous. For far too long, the
collective free world has been held hostage by the evil menace of
terrorism. Freedom is a value that is cherished, and freedom will be
defended. The unconscionable, heinous atrocities of 9/11 will not go
unpunished.

Yes, those at Ford Motor Company responsible for the Pinto must be made
to answer for their actions. This vehicle
http://208.143.210.196/image6159%5C00000006.jpg shares its heart with
the Ford Pinto, giving new meaning to the term "Go Postal".

If there is any measure of solace to be derived from this disaster, it
is that this heart wrenching reality will serve to galvanize nations
into a geopolitical/military coalition, one with a concerted resolve to
extinguish the scourge and tyranny of global terrorism. When the
responsible parties are identified, I anticipate that swift and
formidable reprisal will follow. This is the only response that a
terrorist understands. With eager anticipation, I anxiously await the
day when the terrorist becomes the victim ... when terror comes home to
the terrorist.

After the disaster of the Pinto, Ford Motor Company bases all its
successors on vehicles designed by its European operations.

--
Tom Sherman - I Feel Flippant!
I am supporting cannibalism by eating more nuts.

Old September 12th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...

JimmyMac wrote:

[...]
These tragic events exploited the naive vulnerabilities of a free world
nation and exposed an egregious failure within its intelligence
community. The level of precision and the enormity of scale of this
methodical, systematic attack were unprecedented. This was a
catastrophe of unparalleled proportion.

You have just hurt the feelings of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. Remember
that little incident on Oahu on December 7, 1941?

[...]

Pearl Harbor was not on the same scale as the World Trade Center. Why?
Because it was an attack on a military base which was located in a territory
of the U.S. halfway around the world - not quite the same thing as an attack
on the civilian population of New York City.

I will take Mr. Sherman at his word that he is merely being flippant and not
behaving like some far left wing liberal nut and screwball (all one word),
as he is want to do from time to time.

Also, I do not think it was proper of you to change the topic heading of
Jim's post. After all, he is entitled to say whatever he wants to say on
this forum as are you and I. If you want to blather on about Ford Pintos,
then post your own original message on the subject. Do not hijack the topics
of others.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 13th 06, 06:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...

JimmyMac wrote:

[...]
[...]

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I am for the most part in
agreement with you. WIth wounds still fresh for many, Tom Sherman's
response was one with inappropriate levity, however, he never indicated
that he was merely being flippant so there is not need to take him at
his word. Regardless, Tom's flippant response was unfitting and
imprudent. In addition, one might add that the death toll at the World
Trade Center exceeded that of Pearl Harbor. Our response, lest we
forget, (read two atom bombs) exceeded these death tolls by nearly a
hundred fold.

Jim McNamara

Old September 13th 06, 08:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...

JimmyMac wrote:

[...]
[...]

Here was his signature to his message that we both object to:

Tom Sherman - I Feel Flippant!

Regardless, Tom's flippant response was unfitting and
imprudent. In addition, one might add that the death toll at the World
Trade Center exceeded that of Pearl Harbor. Our response, lest we
forget, (read two atom bombs) exceeded these death tolls by nearly a
hundred fold.

Jim, I like you more and more when you post your own original messages.
There is no point in trolling me since I am the ultimate troll, but overall
a good troll.

I will say that the only true scoundrel I have ever encountered on these
newsgroups was one by the name of Ed Gin. Let's face it, most on these
cycling groups are pretty good guys and can take a bit of ribbing from me
without going berserk.

Old September 13th 06, 09:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...

JimmyMac wrote:

[...]
These tragic events exploited the naive vulnerabilities of a free world
nation and exposed an egregious failure within its intelligence
community. The level of precision and the enormity of scale of this
methodical, systematic attack were unprecedented. This was a
catastrophe of unparalleled proportion.

You have just hurt the feelings of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. Remember
that little incident on Oahu on December 7, 1941?

[...]

Pearl Harbor was not on the same scale as the World Trade Center. Why?
Because it was an attack on a military base which was located in a territory
of the U.S. halfway around the world - not quite the same thing as an attack
on the civilian population of New York City.

The level of skill and precision exhibited by the thousands of Japanese
naval personnel involved in the Pearl Harbor attack certainly exceeds
that required to mug a few pilots and crash into a building. [1]

Speaking of deliberately crashing airplanes into things, the Japanese
resorted to "kamikaze" attacks due to the attrition of trained pilots.
It takes much less skill to fly an airplane into a ship than to hit it
with a bomb or torpedo launched from an airplane.

I will take Mr. Sherman at his word that he is merely being flippant and not
behaving like some far left wing liberal nut and screwball (all one word),
as he is want to do from time to time.

When a car is successful, the name is reused on several generations of
redesign, e.g. Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord. Notice that Ford Motor
Company has NOT reused the "Pinto" (or "badge engineered" Mercury
Bobcat) names.

Also, I do not think it was proper of you to change the topic heading of
Jim's post. After all, he is entitled to say whatever he wants to say on
this forum as are you and I. If you want to blather on about Ford Pintos,
then post your own original message on the subject. Do not hijack the topics
of others.

Now this is clever - Mr. Ed Dolan playing the aggrieved with a straight
face, when he has turned many on-topic threads into off-topic flame
wars.

[1] Of course, there is rather strong circumstantial evidence that more
than airplanes were required to bring down WTC Buildings 1, 2 & 7 [2],
but the evidence has disappeared in Chinese steel (recycling) mills.
[2] WTC 7 collapsing from the attacks makes no sense at all, not to
mention many other circumstances that cast doubt on the veracity of the
official version of September 11, 2001.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old September 13th 06, 09:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

JimmyMac aka James McNamara wrote:
Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:
[...]

Millions of US "blue collar middle class" jobs, such as assembly work
at Ford Motor Company, have been lost due to the incompetent management
that brought us vehicles like the Ford Pinto, while a Japanese company
with less than 1/10th the resources at the time was producing world
class vehicles, i.e. Honda Civic and Accord.

In addition, one might add that the death toll at the World
Trade Center exceeded that of Pearl Harbor. Our response, lest we
forget, (read two atom bombs) exceeded these death tolls by nearly a
hundred fold.

Hey, I wasn't the one showing off my "want to be columnist writing" by
starting an off-topic thread.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old September 13th 06, 09:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:
Jim [McNamara], I like you more and more when you post your own original messages.
There is no point in trolling me since I am the ultimate troll, but overall
a good troll.

I will say that the only true scoundrel I have ever encountered on these
newsgroups was one by the name of Ed Gin....

Eddie,

You make Jimmy sad by mentioning his ex-friend Ed Gin.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old September 13th 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
oups.com...

JimmyMac wrote:

[...]
[...]

Yes, but intent is everything. The fact is that the Japanese could not have
struck the U.S. homeland even if they had wanted to. Moreover, they attacked
military bases, not innocent civilians like the scum bag Islamists. I think
the Japanese also invaded the Aleutian Islands later on, another distant
territory of the U.S. I mean, just how pathetic can you get!

Speaking of deliberately crashing airplanes into things, the Japanese
resorted to "kamikaze" attacks due to the attrition of trained pilots.
It takes much less skill to fly an airplane into a ship than to hit it
with a bomb or torpedo launched from an airplane.

Yes, but the Japanese only became desperate in last stages of the war when
they knew all had been lost. But the murderous kamikaze nature of our two
enemies were and are the same. It is always best not to be a fanatic about
anything unless you wish to die.

I will take Mr. Sherman at his word that he is merely being flippant and
not
behaving like some far left wing liberal nut and screwball (all one
word),
as he is want to do from time to time.

When a car is successful, the name is reused on several generations of
redesign, e.g. Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord. Notice that Ford Motor
Company has NOT reused the "Pinto" (or "badge engineered" Mercury
Bobcat) names.

Your tirade about the Pinto belonged on its own thread, not on Jim's heart
felt remembrance to the 9/11 episode. However, it would have been OK for you
to post it there anyway provided you had not changed the subject heading.
NEVER do that with a fresh topic! Once a thread has gone on and one and has
gotten off the original topic, only then is it OK to change the subject
heading.

Frankly, I rather like those like Jim McNamara who post on various occasions
and holidays reminding us of how we can be better than we normally are. Life
goes by quickly and we are soon dead and in our graves.

Also, I do not think it was proper of you to change the topic heading of
Jim's post. After all, he is entitled to say whatever he wants to say on
this forum as are you and I. If you want to blather on about Ford Pintos,
then post your own original message on the subject. Do not hijack the
topics
of others.

Now this is clever - Mr. Ed Dolan playing the aggrieved with a straight
face, when he has turned many on-topic threads into off-topic flame
wars.

I only do that after a topic has gone on and on to no purpose. I will also
only do that when whatever is posted is just too stupid for words. It is
very strange to me that you cannot tell a stupid post from an intelligent
one.

Every post is sui generis with me. I do not let old grievances ever color
what I post to any given message. Everyone is always free to start over with
me with every post. Just don't say say anything too stupid for words.

[1] Of course, there is rather strong circumstantial evidence that more
than airplanes were required to bring down WTC Buildings 1, 2 & 7 [2],
but the evidence has disappeared in Chinese steel (recycling) mills.
[2] WTC 7 collapsing from the attacks makes no sense at all, not to
mention many other circumstances that cast doubt on the veracity of the
official version of September 11, 2001.

Mr. Sherman, like all nincompoop liberals, has fallen prey to various
conspiracy theories regarding 9/11. He needs to get off those liberal blog
sites. They are rotting his brains.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Hey, everyone has to be somewhere, even you! So how do you like Chicagoland?

Old September 13th 06, 11:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicyles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:
Jim [McNamara], I like you more and more when you post your own original
messages.
There is no point in trolling me since I am the ultimate troll, but
overall
a good troll.

I will say that the only true scoundrel I have ever encountered on these
newsgroups was one by the name of Ed Gin....

Eddie,

You make Jimmy sad by mentioning his ex-friend Ed Gin.

I suspect Ed Gin was only a casual cycling acquaintance of Jim. However, I
will let him speak for himself on that score.

Have you not ever made the acquaintance of someone only to discover later
that he was a scoundrel?

Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Of course you are here and not there, you blooming idiot! When the hell are
you ever going to get a signature that is worthy of you?