Improving shifting on my burley limbo?

Old November 4th 04, 06:04 AM
Steve Knight

Default Improving shifting on my burley limbo?

knew I could not afford a higher end bent. You have to spend quite a bit more
for better bent parts. So upgrades are cheap with good deals.
So far I found the top avid single digit 7 brakes for only 50.00 that include
the levers. But now the shifting issues. Back shifting is ok but pretty stiff.
The front really sucks. It’s hard to trip with the grip shifters.
So I want to know. Are better grip shifters (higher rated models) will they give
a smoother easier shift? Or replacing the rear derailleur or both? I want to put
better brake and cable housing on too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old November 4th 04, 11:29 AM
Tom Sherman

Steve Knight wrote:

knew I could not afford a higher end bent. You have to spend quite a bit more
for better bent parts. So upgrades are cheap with good deals.
So far I found the top avid single digit 7 brakes for only 50.00 that include
the levers. But now the shifting issues. Back shifting is ok but pretty stiff.
The front really sucks. It’s hard to trip with the grip shifters.
So I want to know. Are better grip shifters (higher rated models) will they give
a smoother easier shift? Or replacing the rear derailleur or both? I want to put
better brake and cable housing on too.

I would start out with a high quality cable/housing and use the largest
radius bends possible when routing the cable. Also, make sure the front
derailleur is working properly and the pivots move freely.

The have been some positive reports about the new SRAM "trigger"
shifters that are supposedly better than Shimano "Rabidfires" (sic).

I always wear cycling gloves, which provide a much better grip on twist
shifters.

--
Tom Sherman
Feingold-Obama 2008

Old November 4th 04, 04:08 PM
Steve Knight

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 05:29:19 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

I would start out with a high quality cable/housing and use the largest
radius bends possible when routing the cable. Also, make sure the front
derailleur is working properly and the pivots move freely.

that's my first step. though if I upgrade it would be good to just do it all at
once. there are no tight curves on the bike.
I need a stand adaptor before I do any work though so there is 65.00

The have been some positive reports about the new SRAM "trigger"
shifters that are supposedly better than Shimano "Rabidfires" (sic).

I like the ability to fully shift gears in one stroke though. I have thought of
using barend shifters. there is an adaptor that lets you place them like thumb
shifters.

I always wear cycling gloves, which provide a much better grip on twist
shifters.

yes it sure does.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old November 4th 04, 04:09 PM
M. Chandler

Steve Knight wrote:
knew I could not afford a higher end bent. You have to spend quite a bit more
for better bent parts. So upgrades are cheap with good deals.
So far I found the top avid single digit 7 brakes for only 50.00 that include
the levers. But now the shifting issues. Back shifting is ok but pretty stiff.
The front really sucks. It’s hard to trip with the grip shifters.
So I want to know. Are better grip shifters (higher rated models) will they give
a smoother easier shift? Or replacing the rear derailleur or both? I want to put
better brake and cable housing on too.

First thing to check are cables/housings. Are they routed smoothly, are
the cables free of kinks, etc? I've found that lined housing with QBP's
stainless cables and some *light* lube works really well.

I've used various versions of the ESP twist shifters, and for a given
vintage/model year, they seem to work pretty much the same despite any
supposed difference in hierarchy. The newer models do, however, feel
smoother than previous years' versions.

SRAM's X.0, X.9, and X.7 rear derailleurs have a somewhat lighter "feel"
than 9.0, 7.0, etc, models. The X.7's can be had pretty cheaply,
especially on eBay. If you get them bundled with shifters, the cable
may not be long enough, though.

On some recumbents, twist-type shifters are harder to operate due to the
angle of the bars, etc. In those situations, the trigger-style shifters
may be a better option (and require less "muscle" to make the shifts).

--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO
Old November 5th 04, 01:35 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Steve Knight wrote:

[...]

As this thread, so far, is nothing but on-topic, I believe it is totally
inappropriate for Mr. Sherman to be wearing his politics on his sleeve. Do
we need to know, at least in this thread, that he is a liberal nut case and
that he likes Black politicians like Obama.

I charge Mr. Sherman with being nothing but an instigator and ruining ARBR
for all those who would occasionally like to read something about recumbents
instead of my political rants. Please note that I do not ever do what Mr.
Sherman does. I do not wear my politics on my sleeve, unless posting to an
off-topic political thread.

Now you began to see the wisdom of nothing but a name and where you are from
in your signature. Everyone should follow my example if you would be wise.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 5th 04, 01:50 AM
Tom Sherman

Mr. Ed (Dolan) wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

[snip]
Tom Sherman
Feingold-Obama 2008

As this thread, so far, is nothing but on-topic, I believe it is totally
inappropriate for Mr. Sherman to be wearing his politics on his sleeve. Do
we need to know, at least in this thread, that he is a liberal nut case and
that he likes Black politicians like Obama.

I charge Mr. Sherman with being nothing but an instigator and ruining ARBR
for all those who would occasionally like to read something about recumbents
instead of my political rants. Please note that I do not ever do what Mr.
Sherman does. I do not wear my politics on my sleeve, unless posting to an
off-topic political thread.

Now you began to see the wisdom of nothing but a name and where you are from
in your signature. Everyone should follow my example if you would be wise.

Mr. Ed again reveals his ignorance of Usenet protocol where signature
lines are not relevant to whether or not a post is on or off topic. He
is merely trying to start an off-topic discussion here.

--
Tom Sherman
Feingold-Obama 2008

Old November 5th 04, 03:12 AM
Steve Knight

First thing to check are cables/housings. Are they routed smoothly, are
the cables free of kinks, etc? I've found that lined housing with QBP's
stainless cables and some *light* lube works really well.

I think the cables are all fine in the routing. but till i get the stand adapter
I can't really check it well.

I've used various versions of the ESP twist shifters, and for a given
vintage/model year, they seem to work pretty much the same despite any
supposed difference in hierarchy. The newer models do, however, feel
smoother than previous years' versions.

so no reason to get a well rated few years old model then.

SRAM's X.0, X.9, and X.7 rear derailleurs have a somewhat lighter "feel"
than 9.0, 7.0, etc, models.

ok or change over to shimano a good high end derailler.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old November 5th 04, 03:34 AM
Edward Dolan

Mr. Ed (Dolan) wrote:

[...]

Au contraire, Mr. Tom. Most of us read the entire message that is posted,
including the signature. More often than not it is the signature that
totally ****es me off. The signature should be neutral and not capable of
****ing anyone off for any reason whatsoever. I know that you know better
and that is why I bring it to your attention. I thought at first it was only
an oversight on your part, but now I am suspecting the worst.

You were notorious for including all kinds of rot in your signatures in the
past. That is a very underhanded way of screwing the newsgroup. Either say
it up front or don't say it at all. Only cowards and scoundrels resort to
saying things in their signatures. But nothing gets past me. That is why I
am here. To keep this group honest.

Everytime I see Guy Chapman's signature about those ****ing helmets, I go
into orbit with rage. I am going to have my estate sue him for causing my
early death if and when it happens due to his signature. Peter Clinch is
another slob who is driving me crazy with his resume of a signature.

Mr. Tom more or less had his signature correct for a time, but now he is
returning to his old ways. If that is indeed the case, then I will return to
my old ways too and no one on this group will like it much.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 5th 04, 04:08 AM
M. Chandler

Steve Knight wrote:

SRAM's X.0, X.9, and X.7 rear derailleurs have a somewhat lighter "feel"
than 9.0, 7.0, etc, models.

ok or change over to shimano a good high end derailler.

A Shimano derailleur will require Shimano-compatible shifters (available
from Shimano or SRAM). If you're going to switch to Shimano, I'd go
with LX if you want to save some money, or XT if you're feeling flush.

Old November 5th 04, 05:48 PM
Steve Knight

A Shimano derailleur will require Shimano-compatible shifters (available
from Shimano or SRAM). If you're going to switch to Shimano, I'd go
with LX if you want to save some money, or XT if you're feeling flush.

if I go with bar end shifters I will. I like that I can shift through the whole
range at once and they feel good (had them on my road bike till I got hit by a
car. but I got to come up with the money first (G)
had to buy some riding clothes first. lost too much weight for the shirts I
used last year. got some sweat pants too. 6 shirts (cotton) 3 sweat pants and a
50/50 poly sweatshirt for less then one pair of shorts I had to buy last year
(G) for winter I like a combo of a poly base layer and a cotton tee shirt over
that. works well down to about 38 degrees.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Bent / Burley Limbo questions Cletus Recumbent Biking 13 June 26th 04 12:27 AM
Index shifting for dummies janet k Techniques 10 May 22nd 04 04:38 AM
Uncrisp shifting terrapin Techniques 3 August 21st 03 11:51 PM
Why has shifting improved? David L. Johnson General 4 July 15th 03 01:46 PM