Improving shifting on my burley limbo?

Old November 7th 04, 01:01 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Mr. Ed Dolan wrote:

There are only handful of us here on ARBR who even know what the "-- " is
for. You yourself did not know what it was for until I had it explained
to me by another poster here on ARBR....

Mr. Ed,

I was the person who explained to you what the "-- " was for. Proof at
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7d49e514.0403212144.79821d77%40posting .google.com&output=gplain.

Someone is losing his memory, methinks.

Without looking any of this up, I still think it was the other poster who
told me exactly how to do it. Your post, which you give above, was merely a
confirmation of it. Just goes to show that we all of us concentrate more on
what we say than on what anyone else says.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 7th 04, 01:10 AM
Edward Dolan

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 01:09:25 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

A signature that includes some bromides is not objectionable, but a
signature that includes a political statement most definitely is.

In your opinion. On the other hand since you've admitted to getting
your retaliation in first when you sense that some liberal comment
might be forthcoming in the near future, thus making you probably the
worst offender in off-topic political diversion of originally on-topic
threads, I don't think yours is an opinion to be trusted on this.

We are only talking about what is appropriate to include in a signature when
on-topic. As you know better than most, anything goes when we are off-topic.
Try to focus on what is being discussed, why don't you?

Anyone who includes a political statement in his signature is inviting
retaliation and the subject thread is likely to go off-topic at that point.

But you are the last person on this group who ought to be discussing
signatures since you have the most screwed up signature of anyone here. I
invite all ARBR readers to have a look at it below.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 7th 04, 01:14 AM
Tom Sherman

Mr. Ed Dolan wrote:

There are only handful of us here on ARBR who even know what the "-- " is
for. You yourself did not know what it was for until I had it explained
to me by another poster here on ARBR....

Mr. Ed,

I was the person who explained to you what the "-- " was for. Proof at
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=7d49e514.0403212144.79821d77%40posting .google.com&output=gplain.

Someone is losing his memory, methinks.

Without looking any of this up, I still think it was the other poster who
told me exactly how to do it. Your post, which you give above, was merely a
confirmation of it. Just goes to show that we all of us concentrate more on
what we say than on what anyone else says.

Mr. Dolan,

Read the thread in context, and you will see that your contention is wrong.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&threadm=7d49e51 4.0403212144.79821d77%40posting.google.com&rnum=16 &prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dsignature%2Bdolan%26start%3D10%26hl%3 Den%26lr%3D%26group%3Dalt.rec.bicycles.recumbent%2 6c2coff%3D1%26safe%3Doff%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D7d 49e514.0403212144.79821d77%2540posting.google.com% 26rnum%3D16.

--
Tom Sherman – Greater QCA
"Use your head, Mr. Ed" – Slugger

Old November 7th 04, 03:47 AM
Edward Dolan

Mr. Ed Dolan wrote:

[...]

As I peruse that particular thread from long ago my brain fogs over. I will
give it to you that you told me exactly how to do it, but I am still not
altogether convinced. But I can't spend time looking at old threads when I
am presently so busy developing new threads.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 7th 04, 02:47 PM
Dan Burkhart

Steve Knight Wrote:
knew I could not afford a higher end bent. You have to spend quite a bit
more
for better bent parts. So upgrades are cheap with good deals.
So far I found the top avid single digit 7 brakes for only 50.00 that
include
the levers. But now the shifting issues. Back shifting is ok but pretty
stiff.
The front really sucks. It’s hard to trip with the grip shifters.
So I want to know. Are better grip shifters (higher rated models) will
they give
a smoother easier shift? Or replacing the rear derailleur or both? I
want to put
better brake and cable housing on too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering

I find the ease of shifting with grip shifters varies with the
position of the shifter relative to the hand. My mountain bike and
recumbent both have grip shifters, but the bent, having under seat
steering with the handlebars laterally vertical with a slight forward
tilt means the shifters are manipulated with the outside of the hand as
opposed to the thumb side on a flat bar. I find this to be a very
natural position for the hand and arm, and while I haven't tried other
styles of shifters with USS, I cant imagine they would be any better.
As for ease of shifting with higher end grip shifters, I have found
that if anything the high end jobs are even stiffer. It helps to keep
the cables lubed, and the shifter internals lubed with Sram Jonnysnot.
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart

Old November 7th 04, 05:34 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:10:18 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

A signature that includes some bromides is not objectionable, but a
signature that includes a political statement most definitely is.

In your opinion. On the other hand since you've admitted to getting
your retaliation in first when you sense that some liberal comment
might be forthcoming in the near future, thus making you probably the
worst offender in off-topic political diversion of originally on-topic
threads, I don't think yours is an opinion to be trusted on this.

We are only talking about what is appropriate to include in a signature when
on-topic. As you know better than most, anything goes when we are off-topic.
Try to focus on what is being discussed, why don't you?

And .sigs tend to apply to all posts, OT or not; they tend to express
some personal comment or viewpoint of the poster, and are generally
acknowledged to form no part of the discussion - although the more
contentious do tend to provoke the whack-nuts, as you've proven enough
times. Learn to live with it, why don't you?

Old November 7th 04, 05:58 PM
Steve Knight

I find the ease of shifting with grip shifters varies with the
position of the shifter relative to the hand. My mountain bike and
recumbent both have grip shifters, but the bent, having under seat
steering with the handlebars laterally vertical with a slight forward
tilt means the shifters are manipulated with the outside of the hand as
opposed to the thumb side on a flat bar. I find this to be a very

thanks for the info. as soon as I get the stand adaptor I will play with the
cables.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old November 8th 04, 04:34 AM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

[...]

If someone is crazy enough to make a political statement in his signature,
then he can expect some feed back and none of it is likely to be pleasant.
Why **** off someone for no reason just as an after thought. If you want to
**** someone off, then say it in the body of your message like I do. Saying
it in your signature in underhanded and cowardly and marks you as a
scoundrel.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old November 8th 04, 01:34 PM
john riley

wrote in message :

[...]

I agree with Guy. Sigs aren't going to convince anyone of anything,
nor are they intended to. They just provide a bit of extra information
about the poster; information I welcome, regardless of whether or not
I agree with the message.

John Riley
Old November 8th 04, 06:47 PM
Edward Dolan

om...
wrote in message :

[...]

it in your signature is underhanded and cowardly and marks you as a
scoundrel.

I agree with Guy. Sigs aren't going to convince anyone of anything,
nor are they intended to. They just provide a bit of extra information
about the poster; information I welcome, regardless of whether or not
I agree with the message.

John Riley

Agreed, but it should not be political in nature, at least not on this
group. Also, the bromides included in a signature should change from time
to time and not forever remain the same. Guy Chapman has kept his the same
like forever and I am fed up with having to look at the stupid thing. What
he is really doing is stuffing an opinion of his down our throats with his
signature when he should be posting it in the body of his message since it
is controversial and not a bromide.

But what apparently doesn't bother you does bother me. That is ever the
trouble with signature wise guys like Guy. They need sweet souls like you in
order to get by with their obscenities and outrages. That is why I am here.
To keep this group honest. I am not a nice guy and I could care less what
this jackass Guy Chapman thinks of me. But as long as he abuses this group
like he does with his ****ed up signature, then he is going to learn what I
think of him.

Please note my signature below which is nothing but a bromide and is OK
provided I don't keep using it forever and a day.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"If an idiot were to tell you the same story every day for a year, you would
end by believing it."
- Horace Mann

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Bent / Burley Limbo questions Cletus Recumbent Biking 13 June 26th 04 12:27 AM
Index shifting for dummies janet k Techniques 10 May 22nd 04 04:38 AM
Uncrisp shifting terrapin Techniques 3 August 21st 03 11:51 PM
Why has shifting improved? David L. Johnson General 4 July 15th 03 01:46 PM