Two front or back?

Old July 18th 05, 08:22 PM
Loft

Default Two front or back?

I'm just learning about recumbent trikes. I know I shall have eventually
to try to arrange to try a few out but want to learn all the theory I
possibly can first. What then are the nitty gritty differences between
the delta and tadpole arrangements?

Old July 19th 05, 08:14 AM
What Me Worry?

"Loft" wrote in message

I'm just learning about recumbent trikes. I know I shall have eventually
to try to arrange to try a few out but want to learn all the theory I
possibly can first. What then are the nitty gritty differences between
the delta and tadpole arrangements?

Hmmm. How to summarize?

Tadpole trikes are quite sporty, lending themselves well to deft handling,
which can be quite exciting - even scary - at high speeds. The rider sits
low to the ground, so they are less visible in traffic. Disc brake
equipped tadpoles can actually do a "stoppie" (front wheelie) if you
carelessly grab a handful of brake lever in a quick stop. Most tadpoles
exhibit noticeable pedal steer and brake steer, due to the front-end design,
rider weight distribution and short wheelbase. Mounting/dismounting a
tadpole can be tricky for less-flexible and older riders. A tadpole trike
most resembles a 3-wheeled pedal-driven go kart.

Deltas tend to be designed for touring, commuting, shopping, hauling,
cruising. They tend to be longer, taller and heavier than tadpoles. They
are easier to handle at low speeds; but can tip more easily than tadpoles in
sharp turns. Since delta trikes only have one wheel up front, they don't
brake as powerfully as tadpoles (which may be a good thing). Many delta
designs resemble 3-wheeled CLWB bikes. They are ideal for older riders and
riders with balance issues (inner ear complications, etc).

Neither design takes advantage of the sinuous lean-steering that all
bicycles posess; thus they are somewhat less elegant in the cornering
department. With few exceptions, trikes are heavier and harder to carry
than recumbent bicycles. They are also very expensive, often twice the
price of a comparable recumbent bicycle.

Old July 19th 05, 08:38 AM
Edward Dolan

"What Me Worry?" wrote in message

"Loft" wrote in message

[...]

Bravo! The best thing I have read about tadpoles and deltas on this
newsgroup in a long time.

The only thing I would add is that deltas have not undergone the high end
experimentation that tadpoles have. There is much potential for a better
delta (sportier and faster) than has ever been realized. Tadpoles are
somewhat over rated and deltas are somewhat under rated. Whether this will
ever change is doubtful. Tadpoles just plain look sexier, and the kind of
guys who will spend $3000. to buy a trike want that sexy look.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 19th 05, 08:59 AM
Buck

On 07/18/2005 20:22:48 Loft wrote:

I'm just learning about recumbent trikes. I know I shall have eventually
to try to arrange to try a few out but want to learn all the theory I
possibly can first. What then are the nitty gritty differences between
the delta and tadpole arrangements?

I think you have your answer, tadpoles handle better, deltas can be more
comfortable for general riding, but there is a trade off whichever you
choose, there are very comfortable tadpoles and there are great handling
deltas.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old July 19th 05, 11:47 AM
Peter Clinch

What Me Worry? wrote:

Tadpole trikes are quite sporty

Well, the sporty ones are... ;-) Seriously, if an Anthrotech is
"sporting" then we clearly have different definitions!

Neither design takes advantage of the sinuous lean-steering that all
bicycles posess

Not intrinsically, but there are some lean-steer designs out there, and
more appear as time goes by.

thus they are somewhat less elegant in the cornering
department.

The rider is generally free to shift their weight to keep the wheels on
the deck, even though the trike itself won't lean. Whether motorcycle
sidecar racers have "less elegant" cornering than their more
conventional cousins is a matter of taste rather than fact, and
similarly for cycles.

With few exceptions, trikes are heavier and harder to carry
than recumbent bicycles. They are also very expensive, often twice the
price of a comparable recumbent bicycle.

True as a rule of thumb, though one must be careful about "comparable".
One thing that would put you on a trikes rather than a bike is that
there are some places where having an extra wheel means you can't really
compare one with the other.

As with other aspects of 'bents, I think the degree to which the
designer knows what he's at will probably have more bearing on the end
result than simply does it have one wheel at the back, or at the front.
I think you have to look at specific models designed for the
particular job you want to do.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old July 19th 05, 04:56 PM
What Me Worry?

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
What Me Worry? wrote:

Tadpole trikes are quite sporty

Well, the sporty ones are... ;-) Seriously, if an Anthrotech is
"sporting" then we clearly have different definitions!

Most tadpoles are sportier than most deltas. It was a general statement.

Neither design takes advantage of the sinuous lean-steering that all
bicycles posess

Not intrinsically, but there are some lean-steer designs out there, and
more appear as time goes by.

That will be a welcome change.

thus they are somewhat less elegant in the cornering department.

The rider is generally free to shift their weight to keep the wheels on
the deck, even though the trike itself won't lean. Whether motorcycle
sidecar racers have "less elegant" cornering than their more conventional
cousins is a matter of taste rather than fact, and similarly for cycles.

If you are very daring, try racing a delta trike on a tight, winding course
against an upright or SWB recumbent bike. The bicycle's propensity for
sinuous curve-carving will eat the delta for lunch in every single corner.
I'd be amazed if the delta could even begin to compete without flipping
over. Tadpoles could be competitive on certain courses against
two-wheelers; but carving through turns is tricky business. The body lean
motion is more intentional than natural, since it is in opposition to the
steering tiller, and requires moving the torso significantly out-of-plane
while still retaining full control of the tiller to keep from veering or
flipping over. Bicycles, conversely, require very little body motion to
produce perfect, sinuous, coordinated turns at high speeds.

With few exceptions, trikes are heavier and harder to carry than
recumbent bicycles. They are also very expensive, often twice the price
of a comparable recumbent bicycle.

True as a rule of thumb, though one must be careful about "comparable".

All other materials, components and build details being roughly equal,
trikes are always more expensive than bikes. Period. In most cases, they
are at least twice the price.

One thing that would put you on a trikes rather than a bike is that there
are some places where having an extra wheel means you can't really compare
one with the other.

Yes, you can. They're both pedal-powered vehicles.

As with other aspects of 'bents, I think the degree to which the designer
knows what he's at will probably have more bearing on the end result than
simply does it have one wheel at the back, or at the front. I think you
have to look at specific models designed for the particular job you want
to do.

But there are general characteristics that distinguish each major design,
and which serve to explain the popularity of particular types of delta and
tadpole trikes. For instance: Make a list of race-winning delta trikes.
Then make a list of race-winning tadpoles. Compare the length of each list.
Now, make a list of tall, cargo-oriented tadpoles. Then make a list of
tall, cargo-oriented deltas. See a pattern forming?

Old July 19th 05, 06:16 PM
Jeff Grippe

Don't neglect to check out the Tricruiser www.americruiser.com

It is a tadpole configuration but it is very high up and is quite easy to
get into and out of. The build, Sid Gowdy, is a pleasure to deal with. It is
far from high end but it is a pleasure to ride.

It is the trike I use for my daily rider to and from the train station. It
is also the trike that I replace my Sun EZ-3 AL with because I personally
didn't like that way that particular delta handled.

Jeff
"Loft" wrote in message

wrote...

Gentlemen - thank you so much for taking the trouble to make such
comprehensive replies. I now feel much more knowledgeable than I did. I
was already inclining towards the delta configuration, and am perhaps a
little reinforced in that attitude now. I'm 70+ and ease of getting on
and off is and will become more so a real consideration. The Kettweisel
looks a nice thing - the Lepus probably a little too hefty for my needs
although I'm 6'4" and weigh 220 lbs which is maybe another thing to be
borne carefully in mind. What a lovely thing the new titanium Kettweisel
must be!!! Impossibly expensive of course.

Old July 20th 05, 02:21 AM
Edward Dolan

What Me Worry? wrote:

Tadpole trikes are quite sporty

Well, the sporty ones are... ;-) Seriously, if an Anthrotech is
"sporting" then we clearly have different definitions!

Most tadpoles are sportier than most deltas. It was a general statement.

Lots of luck trying to explain to this group what a general statement is all
about. I have been at it for over 3 years now and they still don't get it.
Most on this group only understand very particular and specialized kind of
statements. The UK nuts, of which Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland is a
sterling example, are especially prone to this defective mental condition.
[,,,]

With few exceptions, trikes are heavier and harder to carry than
recumbent bicycles. They are also very expensive, often twice the price
of a comparable recumbent bicycle.

True as a rule of thumb, though one must be careful about "comparable".

All other materials, components and build details being roughly equal,
trikes are always more expensive than bikes. Period. In most cases, they
are at least twice the price.

Whoops! Another general statement which goes right by the likes of Peter
Clinch of Dundee, Scotland. You have to realize his powers for thinking
abstractly about anything and coming to some general conclusions are
severely limited. He is like a child that way.

One thing that would put you on a trikes rather than a bike is that
there are some places where having an extra wheel means you can't really
compare one with the other.

Yes, you can. They're both pedal-powered vehicles.

Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland is incapable of ever comparing one thing
with another. All he ever knows how to do is nit pick. He is a man only for
details, never even having a glimmer of what the big picture might be.

As with other aspects of 'bents, I think the degree to which the designer
knows what he's at will probably have more bearing on the end result than
simply does it have one wheel at the back, or at the front. I think you
have to look at specific models designed for the particular job you want
to do.

But there are general characteristics that distinguish each major design,
and which serve to explain the popularity of particular types of delta and
tadpole trikes. For instance: Make a list of race-winning delta trikes.
Then make a list of race-winning tadpoles. Compare the length of each
list. Now, make a list of tall, cargo-oriented tadpoles. Then make a list
of tall, cargo-oriented deltas. See a pattern forming?

You are asking Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland to think bigger than he is
capable of thinking. He is a Lilliputian and not worth trying to educate.
After all, he is a Medical Physics Officer (whatever the hell that is) and
no doubt thinks he knows everything. He has himself confused with me. Only I
know everything. That is why I am Great.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old July 20th 05, 04:33 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:21:14 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:
snip

Lots of luck trying to explain to this group (stinkbait snipped)

[...]

good to see some inelligent conversation in *cough* some of the posts.

Yes, it is too bad that an idiot like Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland had
to go and ruin a perfectly good thread with his nonsense just because he
cannot distinguish a general statement from a hole in the ground.

Thank God for the Great Ones (like Ed Dolan) who know the difference between
a general statement and a particular statement and is not hesitant to point
out that difference to ARBR numskulls like Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota