Riding

Old June 12th 21, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Riding

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:26:52 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 10:03:40 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 8:08:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 12:46:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:54:17 AM UTC+2, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op vrijdag 11 juni 2021 om 00:07:17 UTC+2 schreef :
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 2:54:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:23:48 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:48:51 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:58:48 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/10/2021 10:17 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Today the wind hasn't picked up to "Oh my God" yet so I will take a ride and test out my shifting on the Eddy Merckx. The only thing I'm worried about is overshifting in the big ring and throwing the chain off.

You know, there is a limit screw on your front derailleur that prevents you from throwing the chain off. You might want to adjust that.

The chain now has three quick links in it and that isn't a good omen but we'll see.

How does that even happen? If it were a Shimano chain, at least you could use pins so you didn't have a bunch of dopey quick links.

"How does that even happen?"
'Mistakes were made'

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Lou
Forgot to tell. A Campy front shifter has 11 clicks IIRC. Shifting between the two chainrings only needs 3 or 4 clicks. They can be anywhere in the range of 11. This said I think it is not wise to limit the movement during adjusting with the limit screws. In that case it can be just before or after a click. Adjust the FD with the barrel adjuster using the full 3 or 4 clicks and then set the limit screws preventing that you move the FD beyond that full click; upper and lower. What I always do with Campy is set the lower limit screw before attaching the cable, attach the cable as tight as possible without moving the FD, move away the limit screws, fine adjust with the barrel adjuster and at last set the limit screws so that they just not touch their stop at the outer click positions of the adjusted FD. How many people start fiddling with the limit screws at the moment shifting gets bad? Those are the knuckleheads who don't understand how it works.

Lou
Lou, you're just repeating the normal set-up procedures. When you're riding a Campy equipped bike shifting up into the big ring isn't a case of going to the next click position but pushing it as it shifts up into the ring. If the limit screw doesn't limit the motions of the derailleur you will often overshift. That is the entire reason that there are limit screws. Even Shimano has the same problem and solves it in a similar manner - even though you have a top (big ring) position, you can overshift without the limit screws.

BTW, sorry to be impolite yesterday, I was just back from that ride and had had the problem that the REAR derailleur had overshifted for exactly the same reason. When you're on very steep climbs and you need to shift down you WILL push the shifter, not just to the next position but slightly over. I am used to this occurring occasionally so I stopped pedaling instantly So that I only had to slip the chain back onto the large cog.

But the component manufacturers are not stupid and they don't put parts on that aren't necessary. Limit screws are a necessity.

I spent what I considered to be a long time setting the derailleurs up and indeed they were absolutely dead silent in every position until I readjusted the rear derailleur to make sure I couldn't overshift the rear derailleur again. And then it was jumping gears since the problem wasn't the adjustment of the shifting but of the limit screw.

Maybe you should just take it to a shop. The limit screw adjustment isn't going to make your derailleur jump gears.

-- Jay Beattie.

I had a few prize insults for you but have thought better of it. I suggest you simply read what I wrote rather than looking for some method to make me look incapable of building bikes properly. I've been doing this for at least 30 years so I do know which end of a screwdriver is which.

Gee... 30 years messing about with bicycles and he can't install a
Bottom Bracket without consulting a lawyer...
Certainly a well qualified mechanic!
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 12th 21, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:02:07 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/11/2021 2:26 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 10:03:40 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 8:08:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 12:46:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:54:17 AM UTC+2, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op vrijdag 11 juni 2021 om 00:07:17 UTC+2 schreef :
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 2:54:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:23:48 PM UTC+2, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 12:48:51 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 10:58:48 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/10/2021 10:17 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 8:08:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:

-snip out a lot of blah blah blah-

I had a few prize insults for you but have thought better of it.

Now there's a helpful thought. Kumbaya!

:-?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlAk7uID3Bs
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 12th 21, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 1:03:33 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/11/2021 2:28 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 10:18:40 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2021 1:03 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Maybe you should just take it to a shop.
Words for Tom to live by.

More humor from the academic failure.

Thus ends our kumbaya session for today.

Damned near two whole minutes.

Jay is a living, thinking being. Frank is not. At least not the "thinking" part.

Frank does not like the idea that I should not worship academic education
purely on the grounds that a diploma is awarded and not because the owner
of that diploma actually can use the knowledge that education was supposed to impart.

I have had too many examples of so-called highly educated people unable
to find the slightest ability to use their educations for the purposes it was designed.

If I had three PhD's formulate the proper equation I would never have
burned my lungs with poison gas after working all of the equations out myself.

I would probably have been almost entirely without severe memory loss if
my GP and the probably demented neurologist he sent me to would have
treated me properly. Not to mention the ER where I was taken after my
concussion. Can you imagine the Resident telling me that they didn't keep
me for observation because the best that would do would be to see me have
a seizure? A Federal Investigator's Nurse Wife spotted the problem at a
single glance. My present sister-in-law would have spotted it instantly
because she runs the Diabetes program for Contra Costa County and I have
diabetic-like seizures.

I’m not aware of any treatment to help with memory loss, other than the
brain plasticity it’s self ie using it. So I’m not sure what treatment you
mean? In my and others experience at least in the UK so NHS you get
assessment program which is a good two months or so, and then
rehabilitation there after, for myself mostly vestibular stuff.

I’m not sure what you mean by a diabetic seizure unless you mean
hypoglycemia? More folks have seizures than they realise/will admit in the
uk, as they don’t want to lose their driving license.

Roger Merriman

Old June 13th 21, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 3:10:03 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

The seizures I was experiencing before proper treatment were similar to hypoglycemic seizures. I would have no memory of them after they occurred. The medication I take for it is right on the line of too much but it is not quite enough so occasionally I have to take one extra pill. I can tell because I have a short period when I get hot flashes. The levels of medication are high enough that I don't get actual seizures anymore, just these uncomfortable seconds to a minute of discomfort. This is doubtless because it wasn't treated correctly before my NCIS friend got me to a doctor that knew what he was doing. So I went two years having full blown seizures which themselves cause damage.

In any case, I have no serious problems since the Professor of Neurology at Stanford University Medical School began treating me.