good brand of bike

Old November 10th 04, 04:17 AM
Claire Petersky

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
"Claire Petersky" wrote in message

thlink.net...

Claire....How did you get so smart?

Genetics.

Thanks for asking.

OK, I made the off-the-cuff remark, and since I posted it, I have had a few
more thoughts about genetics.

My maternal grandparents were both PhDs (my grandmother would have graduated
summa cum laude, but the university officials thought it improper for a
woman to graduate with higher honors than her husband, and so demoted her).
On my father's side, Samuel Petersky went to McGill University, despite
being a poor immigrant, and was the first Jewish physician in BC. So there's
a certain amount of braininess from both sides of the family.

But genetics can be a curse as well as a blessing. Sam Petersky and two of
his brothers, and their parents, all died in their 50s of heart attacks.
It's not that surprising that my dad, when warning signs cropped up when he
was in his 50s, that he took the risk of heart attack seriously. One of the
things he did, along with a change in diet, was to take up bicycling. Now,
it may be that he got lucky with the genetics, but here he is in his late
70s, and although he doesn't bicycle anymore, he hasn't dropped dead yet.

Me, I don't know if I got lucky in the genetics lottery or not. I seemed to
inherit the brains. Maybe I inherited the dicky heart -- who knows? But even
if I did, it's probably not such a bad thing to keep up the bicycling, don't
you think?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 10th 04, 06:05 AM
Matt O'Toole

Claire Petersky wrote:

Me, I don't know if I got lucky in the genetics lottery or not. I
seemed to inherit the brains. Maybe I inherited the dicky heart --
who knows? But even if I did, it's probably not such a bad thing to
keep up the bicycling, don't you think?

Yup. Even if your heart is doomed, I'm sure it's good for the brain too!

Hey, did you know that according to the guy who wrote "The Bell Curve," Eastern
European Jews are the smartest people on earth? And the Irish are supposedly
the stupidest... :-(

Matt O.

Old November 10th 04, 06:40 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Matt O'Toole" writes:

Hey, did you know that according to the guy who wrote "The Bell Curve,"
Eastern European Jews are the smartest people on earth? And the Irish
are supposedly the stupidest... :-(

I guess that pretty well cancels-out and puts me
in the MOR. Except I've got some Chineses genes
tucked away somewhere (they don't show much) to tip
the balance ... one way or the other. But y'know what?
I've long enjoyed being the average, MOR guy that
off-the-rack was made for. I ain't complainin'.

'tell ya what, though -- I've met lotsa people from
all around the world. What I find most striking is
that we really /are/ all family (like the song says.)

And what's really great is that there are so many
nice people everywhere! It's heartwarming just to
think about it (Red Cloud take note.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 10th 04, 12:37 PM
Maggie

Me, I don't know if I got lucky in the genetics lottery or not. I seemed to
inherit the brains. Maybe I inherited the dicky heart -- who knows? But even
if I did, it's probably not such a bad thing to keep up the bicycling, don't
you think?
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Absolutely.....I bought a bike to exercise. At 50 you start watching
your peers drop dead or have by pass surgeries. It is scary.
Keep Bicycling. I was told when I was very young...to "exercise
equally, the body, mind and the heart." I think I forgot the body
when I hit my forties. Hopefully my 50's will bring a change.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 10th 04, 02:34 PM
H. M. Leary

In article , "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

Claire Petersky wrote:

Me, I don't know if I got lucky in the genetics lottery or not. I
seemed to inherit the brains. Maybe I inherited the dicky heart --
who knows? But even if I did, it's probably not such a bad thing to
keep up the bicycling, don't you think?

Yup. Even if your heart is doomed, I'm sure it's good for the brain too!

Hey, did you know that according to the guy who wrote "The Bell Curve,"
Eastern
European Jews are the smartest people on earth? And the Irish are supposedly
the stupidest... :-(

Matt O.

You are wrong about us Irish, Mr. OšToole!

God made the Irish the smartest people.

Then He made whiskey to keep us in our place!

Get it right!.....
Old November 10th 04, 06:02 PM
Myo Jorn

This web site helped me:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/2004,R...S_5668crx.aspx

My two cents: I bought a good entry level road bike (Bianchi Veloce)
that I have used regularly for almost 5 years now, and still love it.
My wife has a less expensive Schwinn hybred. The cheap gears on her
bike made her so mad one time on a short but hilly ride that she got
off the bike, picked up the bike over her head and threw it into a
guard rail. She had just had enough of shifting gears and hearing the
dreaded clackity-clackity-clackity of cheap components unable to do
what you want them to do.

I also rented a Bianchi Veloce (it was $25/day) before buying one to
make sure I liked it. Cycling is a lot of fun - so much more so if
you have a bike that is well made and professionally fitted to you.
Spend the money up front - it will last you and be well worth the
investment.

Myo

"Bill" wrote in message ...
"andrea rose" wrote in message
om...
I've recently decided to do some other activity than running in my off
season due to my shin splints. I decided that I have always enjoyed
riding my bike and enjoyed the outdoors so I would be purchasing a
bike in the near future. I am not too experienced with biking but was
wondering if anyone had any input on what brand of bike would be good
for some training, but probably not too intense. I dont plan on
investing a huge amount of money into it but I would like it to last
me a long time. Let me know if u have any suggestions, thanks!

Since you are a runner and are interested in some "training" you might
consider a bike that will permit you to go fast, an entry level racing bike.
It will serve you well for a few years if it turns out that you like
cycling. Seems like many "like to go fast" club cyclists are former runners
who enjoy aerobic exercise but start to have various impact related
injuries.

Go for a moderately priced road bike that fits properly. See if you can
connect with a local cycling club, they most likely be able to offer
suggestions. Another option to find a good used road bike that you can get
started on until you discover what you would really like "or not". It is
almost impossible to buy the right bike the first time. Your position will
evolve and your specific interests will become focused. After a little
experience you know enough to make a good choice for you.
Bill Brannon

Old November 10th 04, 06:24 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Myo Jorn top-posted:
[...]

So what's your wife riding now? Just curious...

(Testing new sig file, too

Old November 10th 04, 06:40 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

(Testing new sig file, too

And failing!

Manually Yours,

--
BS (no, really)

Old November 11th 04, 01:54 PM
Myo Jorn

"B i l l S o r n s o n" wrote in message . ..
So what's your wife riding now? Just curious...

That's the sad thing... She doesn't like to ride anymore; mostly
because of that cheap bike. I have tried 1,000,000 times to get her
to try a REAL bike. I'm still hopeful.