"Found" Bicycles...

Old January 17th 05, 06:48 PM
tomhooper

Default "Found" Bicycles...

I've been a lurker here for quite awhile. And I just wanted to post. I
haven't bought a bike since '71 when I got a new Peugeot PX-10E. Rode it
until '92 when I gave it to a friends son for college transportation.
Delrin derailers, dynamo light set, spring rack and army surplus saddle
bags. Maintained and kept inside.
Since then I've been riding 'found' rebuilts.
Currently I have 3. A 10s Raleigh Supercourse, so old it even has a
Brooks leather saddle. Found '91 beside apt. dumpster; flat front, baddly
aligned derailers. Came with flashlight clip; added $2 yard sale, new in
box, spring rear rack, & new tires. Recabled brakes and downtube shifters
at some point. Foam h-bar pads and shimano rear derailer off another found
junker. Favorite.
A 21s Huffy Techna, found 2000, spring trash day; brand new gel saddle,
Cooper Canyon rack and bags, front & rear detatchable lights; flat rear (bad
valve). Weighs a ton but fat tires so it rides good on trails and supports
my old butt. Recabled brakes, lubed all bearings and chain.
And a 21s Raleigh Technium Olympian, found Nov. 2004 suburban trash day,
Brooks foam saddle, 1" smooth tires, odometer, h-bar and seat bags, very
complete tool set, vertical 'racing' arm bar, twisted rear wheel. Ultra
light, and a bit too high tech until I get more practice on it next summer.
Professional lube, tune and wheel straightening; $45.
In each case I replaced a couple of parts, recabled the brakes or
shifters as necessary and off I went. They are all garaged. I guess I'm
lucky, but just wanted folks to know you can get fairly decent bikes for
next to nothing, and a little work. Good luck hunting.
twh

Old January 18th 05, 12:49 AM
Bill Baka

tomhooper wrote:
[...]

Sounds like some of my finds. I just can't pass up a freebie. I know the
annual trash day in Santa Clara, Ca. is a bargain hunters paradise. It
is hard to imagine what good stuff people will put out just because they
are tired of it.
Happy hunting,
Bill Baka
Old January 18th 05, 01:45 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:48:01 -0500, ,
"tomhooper" wrote:

In each case I replaced a couple of parts, recabled the brakes or
shifters as necessary and off I went. They are all garaged. I guess I'm
lucky, but just wanted folks to know you can get fairly decent bikes for
next to nothing, and a little work. Good luck hunting.

We enjoyed a transit workers strike a few years back which lasted the
whole summer. People were going into their basement to dig out the old
bike figuring they'd just dust it off and ride it to work. Many of the
old bikes ended up in the trash when they learned what it would cost
to have a bike shop repair them. I was bringing them home, getting
them running with minimal investment, road testing them and leaving
them at bus -stops. I recycled three that way and have provided free
foundlings to several others. I've been offered money for some of
them, so I accepted it.
--
zk
Old January 18th 05, 02:50 AM
Earl Bollinger

That is pretty neat.
Way to go...
Lately I have been thinking about that myself. But I haven't come across
anything yet.

Old January 19th 05, 01:18 PM
Stephen Harding

tomhooper wrote:

Since then I've been riding 'found' rebuilts.

My current "No 2 icebike" is a found, and really quite
nice.

An aluminum Trek 7000 with LX components. Just abandoned
next to a dumpster for months (maybe years). Don't really
know why it never got hauled off.

A frazzled seat, worn, flat tires separated from the rims;
8-10 broken spokes; chain rusted into a solid loop; pedals
nearly hanging off their spindles; and vines growing in
the spokes up towards the top tube.

The frame was really too small for me, so I spent money on
a 400mm seat post, and a 3" stem riser with a 40 degree,
130 mm stem. I had seat, headlight, pedals, tires, spokes
and chain in my bike part spares box, but did spend a total
of about $150 in all on it (including stuff that can go on
any other bike like seat bag and basic tools, cyclecomputer,
etc. and not dedicated to *that* particular bike such as
spoke repairs or new chain).

A great deal for a very nicely functioning bike.

Never thought I'd own *two* MTBs!

SMH

Old January 23rd 05, 10:48 AM
Earl Bollinger

Well yesterday, I just "found" a bike myself!
I came across an old JC Penney 10 speed. it has French aluminum wheels so i
assume it's a French bike of some sort.
It has some sort of a simple stylized bicycle logo on the steering head,
with JC Penney stamped on the seat tube.
It has a decent rack on the rear, so it would make a nice little WalMart run
bike or something for around town.
It needs new 27x1.25 tires, and after liberally lubing the front and rear
derailleurs, it's changing gears OK.
Somehere in the past it emigrated from California to here in Texas, where I
wound up owning it. It has a couple of old California license stickers on
the frame.
I'll test it out later after I put new tires and tubes on it. So far it cost
two tires, tubes and rim liner bands and a can of bike silicon chain lube
spray.
I have to ride some today for my training regimen for the MS150 anyway. I
can get a bit of a nostalgia kick out of it.

Since I have already entered the local MS150 Red River 150 mile bike run in
May.
I was thinking it might make for a nice way for me to raise some money for
that event.
I might put it up on Ebay to see if anyone would want it.

SR bicycles? mfinger1 Techniques 5 September 30th 04 02:46 AM
Science Proves Mountain Biking Is More Harmful Than Hiking Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 18 July 16th 04 04:28 AM
Found a great place for recumbent clothes Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 12 June 26th 04 01:29 AM
Do bicycles and cars mix? wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX General 62 September 13th 03 03:24 AM
NEWS UPDATE.. Thong man found dead after a fall. Reco Diver Mountain Biking 1 June 26th 03 11:29 AM