DaHon Curve D3

Old June 7th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

Default DaHon Curve D3

SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

I think I'd spend the extra $110 or so and get the REI Buzz FlyBy
version of the Curve with the Nexus 8 speed hub.
"http://www.rei.com/product/763242"

You live in Silicon Valley, which has mountains, correct? So you might
want extra low climbing gears. As I mentioned above, the Curve is stiff
enough for standing climbing for someone who weighs 90% of its rated
weight limit.

I live in central Iowa where we have rolling hills. The SRAM T3 offers
plenty of gearing for my needs, as I have no intention of riding
centuries or touring on the Curve (I have 'bents much more suitable for
those purposes).

"Humans are not Peterbilt trucks" - J. Brandt

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 7th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Baka

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

I think I'd spend the extra $110 or so and get the REI Buzz FlyBy
version of the Curve with the Nexus 8 speed hub.
"http://www.rei.com/product/763242"

You live in Silicon Valley, which has mountains, correct?

Some very long and steep. I used to ride on weekends from Campbell to
Saratoga and then pedal the 8 miles or so to the summit at 1800 feet.
On the rare occasion there was snow I would head right on up and get
into snowball fight before it melted.
The other long and grinding road was to go to Mount Hamilton by way of
Mount day and this was on a road bike so the steep uphills were nearly
impossible. Quimby road is hazardous these days due to the Hispanic
gangs families living there, so I don't see a repeat in the future.

Old June 7th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan C

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:32:50 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

You live in Silicon Valley, which has mountains, correct?

Some very long and steep. I used to ride on weekends from Campbell to
Saratoga and then pedal the 8 miles or so to the summit at 1800 feet. On
the rare occasion there was snow I would head right on up and get into
snowball fight before it melted. The other long and grinding road was to
go to Mount Hamilton by way of Mount day and this was on a road bike so
the steep uphills were nearly impossible.

Are these the hills where you used to ride downhill with your legs
splayed out behind you (for aerodynamics) at speeds in excess of 55mph,
with an 18-wheeler right on your ass?

Please, Billy, tell us again how exciting that was! /breathless

Quimby road is hazardous these days due to the Hispanic gangs families
living there, so I don't see a repeat in the future.

Can't you just blow right through there at 55-60mph, and they won't even
have time to react? Come on Bill, you can do it!

Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg
Old June 7th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 7, 11:15*am, SMS wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

I think I'd spend the extra $110 or so and get the REI Buzz FlyBy
version of the Curve with the Nexus 8 speed hub.
"http://www.rei.com/product/763242"

The Buzz is on sale now as well. It would be the better choice on the
very rolling hills around here. But in the midwest, a Dahon bought at
YJ is probably a better value. REI stuff is great, but if they set
their boxed bikes up anything like my local REI--yech.
Old June 7th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

Only a few rides so far, but here are my initial impressions.

- The Curve D3 [4] is kawaii!

[etc.]

There's nothing wrong with that bike that scaling up 25% in every
dimension couldn't fix. The resulting 20" wheels would give a better
choice of rims and tires, to boot.

Chalo
Old June 8th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

Chalo Colina wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

Only a few rides so far, but here are my initial impressions.

- The Curve D3 [4] is kawaii!

[etc.]

There's nothing wrong with that bike that scaling up 25% in every
dimension couldn't fix. The resulting 20" wheels would give a better
choice of rims and tires, to boot.

There are plenty of folders with ISO 406-mm wheels [1] if that is what
one wants. However, that makes the folded package about 25 percent
bigger, no? And much less kawaii!

And the 50-305 Big Apples are a much better choice than the skinny ISO
349-mm, 355-mm and 369-mm [2] tires most compact folders use.

[1] Presumably what Chalo meant by 20", since the rim and tire choices
in ISO-451 mm are not plentiful.
[2] How annoying that three sizes so close to each other exist!

Old June 8th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

landotter wrote:
On Jun 7, 11:15 am, SMS wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
I visited Mr. Muzi and his Minions [1] at Yellow Jersey [2] yesterday
and brought back a little "souvenir" [3] from my visit.

I think I'd spend the extra $110 or so and get the REI Buzz FlyBy
version of the Curve with the Nexus 8 speed hub.
"http://www.rei.com/product/763242"

The Buzz is on sale now as well. It would be the better choice on the
very rolling hills around here. But in the midwest, a Dahon bought at
YJ is probably a better value. REI stuff is great, but if they set
their boxed bikes up anything like my local REI--yech.

Indeed, one reason I did not mail order the bike for a few dollars less.

Old June 8th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message

And the 50-305 Big Apples are a much better choice than the skinny ISO
349-mm, 355-mm and 369-mm [2] tires most compact folders use.

[2] How annoying that three sizes so close to each other exist!

Grr, indeed. Makes me want so smack Brompton and Birdy manufacturers heads
together.

Old June 8th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°

Clive George wrote:
"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in message

And the 50-305 Big Apples are a much better choice than the skinny ISO
349-mm, 355-mm and 369-mm [2] tires most compact folders use.

[2] How annoying that three sizes so close to each other exist!

Grr, indeed. Makes me want so smack Brompton and Birdy manufacturers heads
together.

I should also mention that since the ISO 305-mm size is used in
children's bicycles, spare tubes are plentiful (LBS, hardware store,
discount stores, etc.) and a child's bike tire can be put to emergency
use. Try finding ISO 349-mm, 355-mm and 369-mm in West Grain Elevator, Iowa!

Old June 8th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Bill Baka wrote:
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
More cleverness from DaHon.

Photo set showing the built in pump:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157619381165474/.

That kind of cleverness I would buy to avoid the hassle with all the
junk I take on long rides.

Kudos to the inventor.

It was patented 20 years ago, and has been around almost as long. It
never caught on.